• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: THE MERCENARIES (Doom RE4 Mercenaries Mod)

wonzo

Banned
So, ever wondered what happens if you were to combine two of the best games ever made? Well, turns out you'd end up with the greatest Doom mod ever made:

proclick (download link included)

inJXOIifePQhI.gif

ifs8L68putrrl.gif

Sgblues

While not entirely new(been around for a bit) this has nonetheless been awesome, I'm surprised more people didn't know about this before.

Gloam

That was not what I expected! Interesting, I like the mercenaries a lot and I LOVE Doom, thanks for the tip!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I was prepared for horribleness thinking it's a RE4 mod with Doom stuff in it. This is pretty clever however. I might even try it. It's kind of a shame it's not a TC with Mercenaries style levels, scoring, co-op, etc though. All of that should be possible in the Doom engine if I'm not mistaken. Still, it also shows how much you can do with primitive engines with some clever design ideas, further proving it's mostly graphics that have improved over time, not so much the gameplay possibilities. RE4, ie, the modern third person shooter, could have apparently more or less been done 20 years ago if someone had actually thought of utilizing that style cleverly.

mokeyjoe

I was prepared for horribleness thinking it's a RE4 mod with Doom stuff in it. This is pretty clever however. I might even try it. It's kind of a shame it's not a TC with Mercenaries style levels, scoring, co-op, etc though. All of that should be possible in the Doom engine if I'm not mistaken. Still, it also shows how much you can do with primitive engines with some clever design ideas, further proving it's mostly graphics that have improved over time, not so much the gameplay possibilities. RE4, ie, the modern third person shooter, could have apparently more or less been done 20 years ago if someone had actually thought of utilizing that style cleverly.

To be pedantic the gzDoom engine is technically fairly new and fully 3d, but yeah the Doom engine was pretty miraculous at the time.

I love gzDoom by the way. Doom with mouselook genuinely rocks. Sacrilege I know. :0

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
To be pedantic the gzDoom engine is technically fairly new and fully 3d, but yeah the Doom engine was pretty miraculous at the time.
Oh well, I thought it's a Doom mod that works with vanilla as well as gzDoom and whatever else it mentions. But even if it doesn't work with vanilla Doom I still stand by most what I said. I mean, the characters are basically weapon sprites, not 3D characters. If you can have a Chainsaw, you can have a Leon instead. And then it's just a matter of coding the little stuns and what not as weapon/grenade/whatever effects on enemies to allow for the melee mechanics. I guess the more QTE-like stuff might have not been possible but I actually dislike those anyway and seeing the vid I thought they could have omitted those for better results.

ElFly

That's pretty fantastic.

I see it's only supported on some precises doom engines. Is there a technical reason for that, or it's just that about ease of development?

Is this mod doing something that was impossible in the original Doom?

I couldn't get the wad files to work in either zDoom or gzDoom svn builds. I also noticed a lot of people in the youtube comments were having issues starting this as well. This sucks :(

mokeyjoe

That's pretty fantastic.

I see it's only supported on some precises doom engines. Is there a technical reason for that, or it's just that about ease of development?

Is this mod doing something that was impossible in the original Doom?

gzDoom renders Doom wad files in full 3d instead of the 2.5d engine Doom used. It lets you do things like having floors on top of each other, and properly look up and down etc. as well as overcoming other limits of the original engine.

Probably the most important thing though is they're the easiest way to run Doom in a modern OS, even if you're playing vanilla, so I don't know if anyone really bothers to mod the original engine any more. Most people who play Doom play on source ports.

Top Bottom