• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents "hybrid separable motion controller"; gearing for PS4?

So Sony filed patent for a "break apart" controller back in 2008, but it seems Sony has very much expanded on it this time, and actually published something entirely evolved, almost completely new, 2 weeks ago, signaling they're actually wanting to take this further?

Tits on a controller.

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_105713.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_105802.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110225.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110259.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110211.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110256.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110414.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110358.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110233.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110230.jpg.jpg

Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110337.jpg.jpg
Sony patented a "break apart" PS3 controller in 2008 but it never materialised; now Sony's doing similar - only this time with added bells and whistles.

The obvious speculation is whether this is what Sony's planning for PS4. (No! Bring back the tacky banana pad!)

The patent titled Hybrid Separable Motion Controller was filed in May last year and published 13th November this year.

The most arresting part of the new design are the PlayStation Move-like bobbles on each shoulder of the pad. Otherwise the controller looks more or less identical to the DualShock 3 PS3 pad.

Each half of the controller can also feature motion-sensing technology like a gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer. That's on top of rumble, a speaker (apparently) and analogue stick/button inputs.

One set of pictures shows extended palm grips that more closely resemble the length of the Move controller than the DualShock 3 controller. The patent noted that a contoured and textured surface may be used to help grip the damn things and not fling them at your telly/friends. There's another hideous picture that showed wrist straps at the bottom of each half of the controller.

Most of the patent concerned the technology that would enable the pad to be broken apart and refitted, and ensure the linked console knew what the hell was going on. The actual practical gaming applications aren't really discussed in detail, but you can imagine what they might be.

In this patent's case, the pictures do the talking (via TheSixthAxis)

Source

inky

That looks ridiculous, but makes sense if Sony wants to have a motion option from the get go this time. With that, and including the camera in every box I wonder how much will the thing cost, especially if they are going for a beefy machine.

Maybe they'll skimp on the HDMI cables again :p

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

Cade

I don't mind this design. Breakaway controllers seem like a good idea and I know I'd play more Move shit if I didn't have to get the other controllers.

Loxley

If that thing ends up being real and we don't get a Cookie Monster themed controller at some point I will rage.

Soroc

Do the glowing balls at the top remove the triggers? Don't see any triggers in those mockup patent drawings.

No trigger future confirmed by Sony!

Orayn

With those breakapart designs, you get an awkward normal controller and an awkward motion controller. Just break it and KEEP it broken.

fNiJJ.png

Where is the bad in this? Assuming its comfortable to hold, you have a choice of how to play unless something like Skyward Sword comes out. Pretty sure most of the standard stuff like shooters would give a choice. How is that bad?

Spinluck

The only way I'd accept a detachable controller, is if that detachable part has a fucking touch screen!!!!

Do it Sony.

Zaptruder

Banned
Looks bad. How about no ?

Lawyer art != design art.

But even if it did turn out to be this... eh, it looks imminently usable.

This btw, is what I've been championing the whole time, that idiot gamers (specifically gamers that are idiotic) have been highly resistant to.

It's very simple - motion controls let you do something that can't be done without motion controls. But traditional controls allow you to do something that can't be done with just motion.

You want the full complement of motion and traditional control functions - so as to allow you to expand what is possible in games; not just provide a broken dichotomy between 'hardcore gaming' and 'casual waggle' gaming.

This is where I wanted the whole wiimote/nunchuck two part controller taken.
If this is their regular controller, I'll pass on the next xbox and grab the new ps4.

About f*cking time! This is the most obvious good move any of the 3 idiots could have done after Wii Remote. Even though i dont like this to be done with the move setup.

Doesnt Gyration have the patent? so you know...

rouken

given the "unconditional love" here for the move controller and its "superior improvement" of games for the ps3 (fps in general), i can see why sony wanted to hybrid its controller into that monstrosity.

we all did this to ourselves guys :)

Zaptruder

Banned
With those breakapart designs, you get an awkward normal controller and an awkward motion controller. Just break it and KEEP it broken.

fNiJJ.png

I'd agree with this. It's ergonomically more comfortable to not have to hold the two hands together anyway.

clemenx

Banned
I'd welcome the separate hands approach as a standard. Best thing about the wiimote by far. Don't really care about motion at all but I find separate hands incredibly comfortable.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So this is the evolution of motion control... Looks damn neat, I do say.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That looks weird. Can you imagine holding that to play a game without motion controls and having those spheres there? Such a distraction.

KZObsessed

With Move I always wanted the analog attachment thingy to have motion sensors and the light ball for tracking. It could track both arms then and you'd still have an analog stick for movement. This looks like a good idea in theory. Needs to keep the triggers though.

BadAss2961

Traditional pad with full motion control capability built in is the way to go, but it has to look better than that.

Get rid of the balls, Sony. They just don't look good.

fNiJJ.png
With nice analog triggers and a slightly more squared design this would be real sexy. I wouldn't give a fuck about Nintendo's wish wash Wii-mote approach if Sony makes something like this. Guaranteed pointer controls for all my shooters! :D

Top Bottom