• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #109 - "Why?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Theme - "Why?"

Word Limit: ~2000

Submission Deadline: 14th December 2012 at 11:59 pm Pacific

Voting begins 15th December, and goes until , 17th December at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Break a rule.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Iph

Banned
I've been really trying to get back into writing lately. Need to read a bit more but my interest is piqued. *subscribed*

Grakl

Wynaut?

180px-360Wynaut.png

Tesseract

Banned
boner control

why can't we control our boners asks the son to his father. the father weeps without answer, boner pills in hand.

WX3

After completing NaNoWriMo, I might give this a shot.

Hey, congrats on that its a great feat! (personally I am still working on my novel from the 2011 event lol)

Have I been missing these posts for a while or has this not been going on lately? I swear this is the first time in months I've come across the CWC in a while, but I admit I haven't searched for it.

Ashes

Banned
Hey, congrats on that its a great feat!

Have I been missing these posts for a while or has this not been going on lately? I swear this is the first time in months I've come across the CWC in a while, but I admit I haven't searched for it.

Well, er, November happened. :)

Wait for it. Wait for it. There it is.

Cyan

Banned
Word count multiplier unlockers are easy. I'm hoping somebody writes a short story with no 'e's. Why?

Why indeed.

Tried something like that after I first heard about that book that does it.

And man, it's pretty much impossible.

I guess it was in French? Or something? I dunno, maybe there are fewer 'e's in French.

Nezumi

Cool! NaNoWriMo reminded me how much I love writing, so I'm gonna give this a try. Been wrecking my brain all morning for a good idea, but so far all I achieved was getting Michael Jackson's Human Nature stuck in my head... Hey maybe I just write down those lyrics, that would definitly be rule breaking, since it is a.) not prose and b.) not even written by myself.

meijiko

Subbed. I don't know if I'll write a story for this round... maybe if I come up with a good idea. I've been on a roll with my other novel - 25k words in, writing about 1k a day since NaNo ended.

I'll still vote, though. Need to stake out my GAF competition.

ronito

Wait! Also nothing about guitars. Or at least, nothing about classical guitars.

Welp, that's it gents. That's all I had.
The only thing left is superman beating a bank robber in a Ronald McDonald mask to death with the robber's own arms. And that's already been done.

It's been fun.

Scribble

What’s wrong with me. Didn’t even start NaNo. I’m sitting here with nothing to do, so I’m gonna finish a story + post in two hours. I’m posting this so I pcan’t get away. Gaf writing challenge is one of the most constructive things I’ve done like, evar. Well done for keeping it going, guys. And congrats on turning red, Cyan. Talk about pleasant surprise.

Two hours! So that’s 1:47pm in gaf time zone.

Nezumi

I guess he is now doing the secondary objective.

Haha! Wow, picking your own deadline and not sticking to it... ingenious! I really struggle with the secondary objective and will probably ignore it. Can't you change it from optional to mandatory, so by not doing it I will actually do it...

Scribble

:O damn. sharp. The fear of gaf in me was very motivating. I haven’t finished, so will continue to edit/rewrite so that it makes a bit of sense. But count it as a submission whatever form it takes. This will scare me to finish it, I think

http://db.tt/uipoDmWt

Ashes

Banned
Haha! Wow, picking your own deadline and not sticking to it... ingenious! I really struggle with the secondary objective and will probably ignore it. Can't you change it from optional to mandatory, so by not doing it I will actually do it...

There are some people who don't participate because they don't think they are good enough; so I think for those people, this is one of those secondary objectives that could be fun. Break all the literary rules you want.

And for others, breaking with traditions and still making a great story, is an extra challenge.

The 2nd objective doesn't necessarily have to relate to literature either. If you typically leave things till last minute, then maybe don't do that. And the same goes for drafts too. If you're a one draft kind of writer - then maybe don't do that. ;)

Cyan

Banned
So excited for a Scribble story. :D

Anyone else making progress? I haven't even come up with a solid idea yet, but I'm pondering!

Nezumi

So excited for a Scribble story. :D

Anyone else making progress? I haven't even come up with a solid idea yet, but I'm pondering!
Started writing today. Still not really sure how I'm going to write the middle part of the story but I know how it is going to end which is more than I can say about my NaNo-novel. Need to do some research tomorrow.

meijiko

I got an idea, about halfway through writing it but I'm afraid it'll end up being too long by about 1k words. Oh well, it'll teach me to be more concise.

My story is rather straightforward structurally, but it does play with the nature of asking questions and how one might find it repulsive. That, and it's got crazy people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom