• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping Sensitivity Constant Across All Games

Grief.exe

I tend to play different shooters all at once, and I was always having trouble keeping my sensitivity constant between each one.

I would be playing some Counter-Strike, then jump over to L4D, then go over to Planetside 2. It would take about 30 minutes for my aim to reacclimate each time.

This method measures the distance your mouse travels, keeping this constant across each game will allow you to adjust the in game sensitivity perfectly. You are going to need a sticky note, piece of notebook paper, ruler, and a pen.

Step 1:

Place the sticky note on the bottom of the mouse. Make sure not to cover up the sensor.

I made sure to measure to the middle of the sticky note and put this point right above the sensor. This isn't necessary, but I did it just to keep it consistent when I need to do this test again.

iVYbnzto2niDC.png

Step 2:

Measure out lines every 1 inch on your notebook paper, I personally measured out 4 inches but your situation may be different depending on your DPI and Sensitivity settings.

Place the notebook paper on your mouse pad.

ibiFzJ5hkvRVFn.png

Step 3:

Choose the FPS game that you play the most or that you want to use as a base. I chose Counter-Strike.

Find a place in the game where there is an object that you can center on. In the screenshot, I am lining up the vertical line of my crosshair with the knot on the wood box.

Using that point, line up the front edge of the stickynote attached to your mouse with the first line on the notebook paper (See: pic in step 2).

Then move your mouse horizontally along the notebook paper, This causes your character to make a full 360 in game. Complete the 360 degree rotation and finish in the exact same spot where you started, mark this point down on your notebook paper along the front edge of the stickynote. If you look at the picture in step 2, I marked down little lines where the front edge of the stickynote would stop on my 360 degree rotation.

In Counter-Strike, with a 1600 DPI and 3.0 in game Sensitivity my character was making a 360 in about 3.5 inches. There is a slight margin of error here, so I suggest doing this a few times to ensure an accurate measurement.

Step 4:

Repeat.

Now go into other games and repeat the process. Find a spot in the game that you can focus on, have your character do a 360, and find where this measures out to your original position that you found in your base game.

If you come up short of your original position, then you need to increase your sensitivity
If you go past your original position, then you need to decrease your sensitivity.

The spot I chose in Planetside 2, I placed the bottom of the vertical part of my crosshair on the dark vertical line of this post. I ended up adjusting my sensitivity from a .25 to a .19.

Gilby

Better idea: Console makers and digital services (aka Steam) should put a "FPS controls" (and possibly "camera controls", etc.), setting in their system UI for each user ID. Give game developers access to this for use in their games. At the beginning of a game, the developer can simply explain "this game is using ____'s FPS settings, you can change this in the menu, blah blah blah"

Tada! 1 time controls set-up for each user!

If Microsoft/Sony/Steam/Ninendo whoever is REALLY on the ball, they would let you automatically use these settings if you use your account/ID at a friend's place for multiplayer. Just find your mii/avatar/name on their friend's list and choose to use those settings!

Glix

Better idea: Console makers and digital services (aka Steam) should put a "FPS controls" (and possibly "camera controls", etc.), setting in their system UI for each user ID. Give game developers access to this for use in their games. At the beginning of a game, the developer can simply explain "this game is using ____'s FPS settings, you can change this in the menu, blah blah blah"

If Microsoft/Sony/Steam/Ninendo whoever is REALLY on the ball, they would let you automatically use these settings if you use your account/ID at a friend's place for multiplayer. Just find your mii/avatar/name on their friend's list and choose to use those settings!

The OG XBOX did this in regards to Axis inversion.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wish every game had a "raw input" option like some of Valve's games do, it'd make it so much easier to get a sensitivity you're comfortable with for every game.

Grief.exe

I wish every game had a "raw input" option like some of Valve's games do, it'd make it so much easier to get a sensitivity you're comfortable with for every game.

More and more games seem to do this option and I'm glad they are doing it.

Counter-Strike:GO has it avialable, and most source games as you said, and I noticed that Planetside 2 has that option as well.

For those that don't know, Raw Input means that the game gets the input directly from the mouse and not Windows. Meaning that they remove any mouse acceleration or anything else that Windows changes.

You should disable Mouse Acceleration in Windows anyways. Here is a link to where you can download it: http://support.madcatz.com/Knowledg...-should-i-have-to-get-my-pc-ready-for-the-rat

Pretty difficult to do. Every game calculates the speed you move your crosshair differently.

Steam could possibly integrate it with Steamworks somehow, but I don't see it happening.

Jack_AG

Banned
The OG XBOX did this in regards to Axis inversion.
Back in the day, inversion was standard. I can't stand the up/up craze that is now standard. The stick works like my head - tilt back, look up - tilt forward, look down.

Top Bottom