• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Levine Explains BioShock Infinite's Box Art

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Click through for Chris Kohler's opinion on the box art.

Wired said:

“I understand that some of the fans are disappointed. We expected it. I know that may be hard to hear, but let me explain the thinking.”

“We went and did a tour… around to a bunch of, like, frathouses and places like that. People who were gamers. Not people who read IGN. And [we] said, so, have you guys heard of BioShock? Not a single one of them had heard of it.”

“And we live in this very special… you know, BioShock is a reasonably successful franchise, right? Our gaming world, we sometimes forget, is so important to us, but… there are plenty of products that I buy that I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about. My salad dressing. If there’s a new salad dressing coming out, I would have no idea. I use salad dressing; I don’t read Salad Dressing Weekly. I don’t care who makes it, I don’t know any of the personalities in the salad dressing business.”

“For some people, [games are] like salad dressing. Or movies, or TV shows. It was definitely a reality check for us. Games are big, and they’re expensive, I think that’s very clear. And to be successful, and to continue to make these kinds of games which frankly, of the people who make these types of games, there’s not a lot of them, and they haven’t exactly been the most successful with these types of games that have come out in the last few years. I was thrilled because I love them, and I hope that we had some small role in getting those games greenlit… But they have to be financially successful to keep getting made.”

“I looked at the cover art for BioShock 1, which I was heavily involved with and love, I adored. And I tried to step back and say, if I’m just some guy, some frat guy, I love games but don’t pay attention to them… if I saw the cover of that box, what would I think? And I would think, this is a game about a robot and a little girl. That’s what I would think. I was trying to be honest with myself. Trust me, I was heavily involved with the creation of those characters and I love them.”

“Would I buy that game if I had 60 bucks and I bought three games a year… would I even pick up the box? I went back to the box for System Shock 1, which was obviously incredibly important — that game was incredibly influential on me, System Shock 2 was the first game I ever made. I remember I picked it up… looked at it and I said, I have no idea what this game is. And I didn’t have a lot of money back then. So, back on the shelf. And I was a gamer.”

“I wanted the uninformed, the person who doesn’t read IGN… to pick up the box and say, okay, this looks kind of cool, let me turn it over. Oh, a flying city. Look at this girl, Elizabeth on the back. Look at that creature. And start to read about it, start to think about it.”

“I understand that our fan says, that’s great Ken, what’s in it for me? One, we need to be successful to make these types of games, and I think it’s important, and I think the cover is a small price for the hardcore gamer to pay. I think also when we do something for the hardcore gamer, there’s something we’re talking about and something we’re sure about. The thing we’re sure about is that we’re going to be releasing a whole set of alternate covers that you can download and print. We’re going to be working with the community to see what they’re interested in.”

“We had to make that tradeoff in terms of where we were spending our marketing dollars. By the time you get to the store, or see an ad, the BioShock fan knows about the game. The money we’re spending on PR, the conversations with games journalists — that’s for the fans. For the people who aren’t informed, that’s who the box art is for.”
Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/12/bioshock-infinite-box-art/

Jibbed

Fair enough.

I would've thought the Bioshock name was enough but you know, gotta keep those frat boys happy.

CronoShot

Ehhh, I kind of understand where he's coming from. But I don't know if attempting to appeal to the dudebros is a good sign for this game. Although I suppose that's been fairly obvious from most of the footage so far that it's much more shoot bang explosion than Bioshock 1.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Finally me using frathouse to insult western jock gaming now has a basis in reality. Thanks Mr. Levine!

I'm sure they focus tested it, but wouldn't some crazy clockwork man getting a billion ravens thrown at him seem more interesting than a dudebro?

Is that cover boring because it's "US GAMERS" being fatigued or are they trying to appeal to a crowd that probably wouldn't buy the game anyway?

Solution: double sided print the box sleeve? Or print your own.

I don't see the big deal with the cover, and I think he explains himself fairly well. I think Bioshock games transcend the "core" gaming audience on mainstream press and word of mouth, not the box art.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Water is wet.
Gun-bro-shotgun-man on the cover is meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. We get it.
I don't understand why people are up in arms about this, yes the cover is atrocious and no it probably won't affect the game in any other way than sell more copies most likely.

Levine makes perfect sense to me. Every one of us here will buy the game, even if it ships in a plain white cover with no art whatsoever.

Sure it hurts a little that he's not stroking our balls but at the end of the day this is a business.

If Infinite sells an extra 20 or 30k because of the dudebro cover, thus helping to ensure the next Shock, then it's a small price to pay.

Derrick01

Banned
As long as it's only the box art and not the actual game that suffers thanks to dudebros then that's fine with me. Too often it goes the other way.

kaioshade

I have to give him credit for at least coming out and saying he wants/needs to appeal to a broader demographic. It doesn't seem he is completely happy with it, but reality often gives you a kick.

BiggNife

Let me sum up those paragraphs in a single sentence:

Focus testing showed that people who played games but didn't know about Bioshock responded well to the Bioshock Infinite cover.

That's all Ken is saying there in ten times as many words.

derder

I actually agree with his reasoning.

I can't say that I know anyone that walks into a store and decides to buy videogames based on the cover, alone. I don't know a lot of dudebro gamers.

This can all be forgiven with an awesome CE cover. Hardcore gamers are happy. Levine is happy. Dudebros are happy.

Gintoki

3NOlD.png

https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/277570793922244608

Zaventem

Maybe they should do like other companies and make the special edition pretty.You know not some ugly ass 3d model.

How is it spin when he's telling the truth.

Also it's just a damn cover.

Nah it's not.You can tell the direction a franchise is going in by the cover alone.Hitman: Absolution is a good recent example.

How is it spin. He says that right there. He's simply having a conversation with the disappointed fans. Spin implies dishonesty, this is honest.

In public relations, spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through providing an interpretation of an event or campaign to persuade public opinion in favor or against a certain organization or public figure.

Regardless of how honest he's being, he's still spinning the situation that many people are pissed off at, thus trying to turn negative into positive.

*Shrug* I know he's trying. I can just shit him stuttering all over the place as he said all of that.

Either way, I actually thought the cover looked nice for what it was. Clearly not very unique but people have done muuuuch worse.

ymmv

Banned
How not to use focus groups:
Bioshock Infinite - targeted at dudebros
Fuse - targeted at 12 year olds

UrbanRats

As i said in the Bioshock thread:

The reason was obvious already, but i appreciate the honesty here.
It's still sad, but personally i would've got the game at a steam sale anyway, so it's not a big deal, plus they're planning to release alternative covers to print.

What's maybe worth discussing is:
Is making a cover that caters to the lowest common denominator but doesn't really stand out in any way (and doesn't have a very recognizible brand attached) a smart move anyway?

Also, the cover for Bioshock 1 was just as shitty.
256px-BioShock_cover.jpg

ugh.

Hari Seldon

Levine is refreshingly honest haha. I will be purchasing DD anyway. I don't really understand fans who care about the cover marketing.

Forkball

I didn't really care about the cover but good god at that reasoning. He is distressed that fratboys don't know about Bioshock? Those same people who probably only buy Madden and CoD each year? He's reasoning that you wouldn't know what the games about from an artsy cover, but how is a guy holding a gun going to separate your game from the other boxarts with guys holding guns?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This is the real answer. If the cover really, REALLY bothers you that much, get a high-res custom cover image, print it out on glossy paper, cut it out, and swap out the box art with your preferred image.

As long as the game itself isn't a "fratboy" shooter and is a proper Bioshock game, I'll do exactly this and say no more about it.

Don't argue semantics with Stinkles on this one please. He's right, Levine is one of the most straight up guys in the business and 2K are cool for letting him be this way. Have you read his twitter? There's no PR filter there. Give it up.

Ithil

Let's put it this way. How many people here were going to buy the game based on its previews and information you knew about it already?

How many knew nothing about it and waited for the box art to decide if its worth getting?

The box art isn't for you. What's the big problem?

He sounds pretty understanding of how these things work, actually. We mightn't like such pandering, but that salad dressing analogy is spot on.... if you're not Nintendo or some really massive, always hugely popular, generation-spanning developer -- consumers can be fickle and abandon you. You always have to try and appeal to people in the marketing and representation of the product.

In the film threads in OT, I've seen one or two people pointing out that lots of movies in the last few years have shared similar poster campaigns.... well yeah! Because they work

BiggNife

Also as others have said it's not even a terrible cover

At least it shows off the game's artstyle

Whereas the FUSE cover is probably the most generic cover I've ever seen in my life

Zaptruder

Banned
Hmmm... This thread has got me thinking.

I could populate my DVD shelves with covers of stuff I don't actually have.

What's the point? Well, it would provide me with 95% of the same functionality of the discs I actually do own.

Top Bottom