• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles, not even 1% left"

"Crysis 3 is absolutely maxing out the consoles," Yerli told VideoGamer.com during a recent press tour of the game. There is absolutely not even 1% left".

"No game will ever look technically better than Crysis 3 on these consoles, flat out. Most games are not even anywhere near Crysis 2 technically. I'm not talking about art style – art is subjective – but the pure fact of what we have been cramming in with Crysis 2 on Xbox [360] and PlayStation [3], I've yet to see a game do that still today.

He continued:"Any day I will take a battle against Gears and Halo, whatever, the amount of data we put in and the detail level is far superior. With Crysis 3 we're pushing that to another level, but the PC is just two levels beyond."

The game is so technically impressive, Yerli believes, that the top-end work done on the PC version of the game will rival the graphical capabilities of next-gen consoles.

"That's why we said [two years ago] that Crysis 3 is next-gen ready already," Yerli added. "We did that without knowing the specs [of next-generation consoles], but it's not going to be much more than what we have done so far. And it turns out we were pretty much right."

Bold statements.

I like Crysis 2, I think it is a really good first person shooter with nice gameplay and immersive surround audio. But the framerate on consoles is not good and inconsistant. Framerate drops way below 20 fps at times on PS360.
Crysis 3 will not perform any better I think, this is a game I want to play on the next-gen consoles because I don't have a monster PC.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/crysis_3/news/crysis_3_maxes_out_consoles_says_crytek_ceo_not_even_1_left.html

Mechazawa

I thought we were past the part of this generation where developers try to use stupid, nondescript phrases like "percent of strength of console used"

I guess that season's about to start up.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I actually bought crysis 2 on 360. That version made me ill.

Yopis

Cynical gaf will destroy this maybe rightly so. Nice they are going big. Seems like only news that's big lately are tap ios games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While it IS very impressive what they are delivering on consoles I do find it disappointing that they don't seem to care all that much about performance balancing. The games on consoles that will hold up over time are those which operate at a smooth, consistent framerate.

Stuff like Perfect Dark was also impressive for Nintendo 64...but it has aged horribly as a result of its poor framerate. Games with, at the time, less accomplished visuals actual feel a lot better at this point.

If only you were half as good at delivering good gameplay as you are at delivering good graphics.
Some would argue that they ARE. Crysis 1 and 2 are among my favorite first person shooters of all time. Truly remarkable games.

Reiko

Banned
I'm really curious how those Direct X11 effects are going to be replicated on DX9 hardware that previously had trouble running Crysis 1 & 2 decently.

hodgy100

i hate it when people say we are using blah % of gamebox. It doesn't work like that :/

however if one of the actual programmers were to say "we are really pushing the hardware we think we have made all the optimisations we can" atleast thats telling the truth.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
While it IS very impressive what they are delivering on consoles I do find it disappointing that they don't seem to care all that much about performance balancing. The games on consoles that will hold up over time are those which operate at a smooth, consistent framerate.

Stuff like Perfect Dark was also impressive for Nintendo 64...but it has aged horribly as a result of its poor framerate. Games with, at the time, less accomplished visuals actual feel a lot better at this point.

Some would argue that they ARE. Crysis 1 and 2 are among my favorite first person shooters of all time. Truly remarkable games.

yep. A smooth fluid framerate with slightly less detail could also use all of a console's power. Its a silly metric

So it will join Far Cry and Assassin's Creed as "sequels only worth buying on PC because these consoles are past their expiration dates". 25 fps here we come.

He's right about the PC version of Crysis 3 though: the DX11 footage is a clear step beyond anything capable on these boxes.

I actually thought Crysis 2 was great in terms of gameplay. Compare it to a Killzone 2 or Resistance 3, and it's no question for me, and those two are pretty damn good as it is.

I also thought it looked great, but this is coming from a console only owner </3 haha take from it what you will. Super psyched for 3 though.

awkcl.gif

S1kkZ

fantastic. now make it run at a playable framerate (30) and i will be happy.
its a shame most people dont care about shitty framerate on consoles and ignore it in their reviews.

Dabanton

I hate the maxed out console talk

But I do believe him Crysis 1 on the consoles well the Xbox 360 version (didn't play the PS3 one)is a fricken technical marvel.

Seriously if you have chance to play that do so. How they hell they got some of that stuff going is crazy.

Crysis 2 is also a looker console wise.

Its not close to being the best looking game on the PS3 unless sub HD, poor frame rate and glitches is the standard Crytek is striving for

heyf00L

Well yeah, if we don't take framerate into account, then someone could easily make a "better looking" game that runs at 10 fps.

Septimius

There is absolutely not even 1% left = We don't know how else to optimize the game so fuck it.

Exactly. What the hell does "there's not even 1% left" even mean? Surely, you can't be trying to state that you've somehow magically managed to use 99% of the PS3s power, and at the same time also 99% of the Xbox's power.

Oh, and hey! Anyone can write a program that uses all the resources of a computer. Normally, it's the people with less experience that tend to do that, however.

Reiko

Banned
The Last of Us says hello.

While the Last of Us is very impressive, it along with other PS3 exclusives are working within the limits of PS3. Same goes for Xbox 360 exclusives.

CryEngine 3 games have graphical features that go beyond the scope of current gen hardware.

Respawn

Banned
Notice he didn't go against Killzone or Uncharted.

While the Last of Us is very impressive, it along with other PS3 exclusives are working within the limits of PS3. Same goes for Xbox 360 exclusives.

CryEngine 3 games have graphical features that go beyond the scope of current gen hardware.

Oh it's you. Same guy giving wrong bandwidth info in the PS4 thread. Stop posting like it's fact.

Acheteedo

If they can manage full 720p, stable 30fps, no tearing and anti aliasing... like Halo 4 did, then they might have a point.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't understand. Awesome, sucked or gave you motion sickness?

I was very impressed by the 360 graphics. I would probably agree that it's the best looking thing on 360 today.

I found it to be terrible, certain levels having prolonged sub 30 framerate I'm sure hitting even as low as 20. Didn't run well at all.

Top Bottom