• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE: "70% of our DCUO revenue comes from PS3" + Planetside 2 on PS4?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
UPDATE: Massively contacted SOE and they corrected Smedley, he meant to say 70% of DCUO's revenue comes from the PS3 version.

[Update: We have corrected the 70% figure quoted directly from PlayStation magazine. According to SOE, Smedley intended to say that the percentage refers to DCUO's revenue, not SOE's revenue as a whole.]

Original Post: Earlier this year Smedley said 70% of their DCUO user base was playing the PS3 version, now he's saying 70% of their revenue comes from their PS3 games.

Leon Hurley said:
Planetside 2 on PlayStation

When asked what console manufacturers need to do to accommodate free-to-play more in the future, Smedley responded by saying, “We’re in a unique position. We have two operating free-to-play games on PS3 right now – DC Universe and Free Realms. Actually, 70% of our revenue comes from PS3. So we’re uniquely placed having helped to build the PlayStation Network in the first place. PSN has the ability right now to handle free-to-play games, and it does so very well”.

He also sees the free-to-play model becoming more prominent on PlayStation, “The way I see it in the future… There seems to be this argument going round that we’re going to see the last of consoles – and to me there’s this very simple delineation. For me my computer is in my office at home, and my TV is in my living room. Consoles are a different type of gaming for me, and I play different games on different devices – but I think the free-to-play model works awesomly on consoles and I think you’re going to see more of it as time goes on. It’s going to be much more prevalent on consoles”.

When asked about the chance of the PC MMO shooter Planetside 2 heading to PS3 (think Dust 514 with more colours) he responded, “What I’d say is – SOE has proven that we can bring our games to the PS3, and it’s fair to say that we’ve got some other stuff out there cooking. I can’t tell you what platforms it’s for, but we’re really excited about it”.

PS4 port on the way or maybe Smedley is talking about EQ Next?

Einbroch

Banned
EQ Next, please. EverQuest Online Adventures was really fun.

Man, EverQuest gets me all nostalgic and misty-eyed just thinking about it again.

i-Lo

I have said it once and I'll say it again. It starts with Dust 514 and it's only going to get bigger from here. And Sony with its free PSN should be the most lucrative (with regards to next gen consoles) for even third parties for their F2P games.

Only thing is, after seeing PS2 on PC, it'll be disappointing to play the game on PS4 (not powahful enuf). Oh well, guess 720p@30fps (locked) + motion blur.

Thank you for posting this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've kinda been expecting a PS4 version of Planetside 2. It would be a cool flasgship F2P title for next gen and could show how Sony really wants to let F2P flourish on PSN.

Rflagg

On topic: They Mean 70% for the games that are on the playstation right? Still surprising to me for it to be that high.

Semi On topic:

Man, EverQuest gets me all nostalgic and misty-eyed just thinking about it again.

Form time to time I just plain need to return to norrath, even though eq1 is a shell of it's former self. I jumped into everquest 2 late in the game, but I always felt it deserved more players as the game itself is a pretty darn good balance of group/solo play styles. If they do eq next right, I am somewhat hopeful they will, I will sub day 1.

milsorgen

Banned

I feel ya man, every few months I end up heading over to Project 1999 just to get my fix. BlackBurrow is as fun as ever if you ask me.

This would be absolutely incredible, and a big opportunity for Sony. Imagine you could play Planetside 2 from Day 1 on PS4, for free! I think that was probably there plan after all for Planetside 2, and I am quite sure it would look very good on PS4.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
On topic: They Mean 70% for the games that are on the playstation right? Still surprising to me for it to be that high.
That's what I initially thought too, but looking at their current PC game list most of their games are old or in beta:

• PlanetSide® 2
  • Dragon's Prophet (BETA)
  • EverQuest®
  • EverQuest® II
  • Wizardry Online (BETA)
  • DC Universe™ Online
  • PoxNora®
  • Vanguard: Saga of Heroes®
  • Bullet Run™
  • Star Wars®: Clone Wars Adventures™
  • Magic: The Gathering – Tactics®
  • Free Realms®
  • PAYDAY™ The Heist
  • PlanetSide®
  • Legends of Norrath®

That list plus the 70% of our DCUO user base is on PS3 and the nickel and diming that goes on in that game is making me believe they mean 70% of all their revenue.

When is EverQuest Next is releasing?
Still a while left. They announced earlier this year that they scrapped what they had and started from scratch 1 year and a half ago. There should be a playable build next year during their annual fan conference, SOE Live/Fan Faire.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love DCUO, I'm very glad they managed to snag that game from the brink of death by making it F2P.

i-Lo

Here you go!
These are at 1280x768, but it's close enough. all settings medium with no blur or fog shadows or Ambient Occlusion.

screenshot_20121219-12nj1k.jpg

screenshot_20121219-1nfkqc.jpg

This user fulfilled my request. These screen shows what might we get from a console version of PS2 (PS4). The settings are on medium to keep the expectations modest.

2San

Game isn't really THAT demanding. Mine is usually at 60fps with everything maxed and mine isn't even high end. I only play at 1440x900 though.
2500k@4,3 GHz and an unlocked 6950(I am on 1080p). The game is like nope. Sure it hits 60 when nothing is going on, but if you enter pretty much any battle the game constantly fluctuates. Battlefield 3 in full warfare glory is pretty rock solid frame rate wise by comparison(while looking great).
This user fulfilled my request. These screen shows what might we get from a console version of PS2 (PS4). The settings are on medium to keep the expectations modest.
Not that it matters putting the thing on max settings doesn't make a real difference visually imo.

2500k@4,3 GHz and an unlocked 6950. The game is like nope. Sure it hits 60 when nothing is going on, but if you enter pretty much any battle the game constantly fluctuates. Battlefield 3 in full warfare glory is pretty rock solid frame rate wise by comparison(while looking great).

Not that it matters putting the thing on max settings doesn't make a real difference visually imo.

What resolution though?

Game isn't really THAT demanding. Mine is usually at 60fps with everything maxed and mine isn't even high end. I only play at 1440x900 though.

It's pretty heavy on the CPU side compared to a lot of games. I would hope that the PS4 can handle it with decent settings at at least 720p, though. If it is confirmed that it's making the jump to PS4, I hope Sony leaves it as an F2P title. Being able to tout it as "this massive open-world shooter with tons of player, and oh yeah, it's free!" would be pretty powerful for building up the Playstation brand, methinks.

2San

Yeah that's probably the problem, the game really eats the FPS at higher resolutions. I can totally see it running at 60fps in 720p on PS4.
Still, considering what it looks like it really does not justify having such poor performance. I know large scale battles and everything, but the game chuggs even in small skirmishes.

Top Bottom