• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Mafia (PC)

Or the greatest period piece in gaming history.

I'm not sure that I've ever come across a better established sense of time and place in his medium. The period, music, dialogue, clothing, cars, architecture - it was just like this real touchable open world to inhabit. I'm sure it helps that i have a strong affinity for this period, but the fact that the game came completely out of left field for everyone, only to blow us all away, was maybe the most surprising.

To me, the keys to the games successes were:

1. Commitment to authenticity over gameplay convenience - from the guns to the cars, to getting pulled over for a traffic ticket, this was a specific experience that knew exactly what it wanted to accomplish, and didn't give a toss if it alienated players in the process. It could have gone the wrong way (and maybe it did for some), but to me, it created one of the most compelling gameplay experiences in an open world game yet.

2. Environment design - the attention to detail in the environments was intoxicating. From the feel of the garage before the (infamous) race, to the bar where you make yourself, to the sense of place in the alley when you're walking your future wife home at sunset, the gameplay was all set in lovingly crafted game spaces.

3. Mission design - I think what Mafia 2 lacked that Mafia had in spades was the sense that each mission was it's own beast, and asked something unique from the player. While there was certainly going to be driving and shooting involved in most, there was always a sense of cohesion, and it was always relevant to an overall story.

4. A brave ending - Spoilers aside, more entries in this medium need to challenge our expectations like Mafia did.

I'd love to see Mafia re-created for the current generation, as any console player that got their hands on it received an unfortunately neutered version, and missed out on one of the great period games. It was said to see Mafia 2 fizzle as it tried to re-create what made this entry special, but like so many great games, it's hard to put your finger on why.
1284884179.jpg

81415_full.jpg

mafia_screen001.jpg

Doomrider

Obligatory racing mission post.

Yeah, playing this back when it came out was mind-blowing. I couldn't believe how realistic the faces looked. I agree with all of your main points and the cohesiveness of the world really is something else. One of my favourite stories in a game, too.

The gameplay may be clunky by modern standards, but it's still very functional and I love the shootouts in the game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Agreed OP. Amazing, amazing game.

and that ending...

Yerolo

Although it has aged badly graphically....its still one of the best story driven open world games and captures the mood of the era perfectly.

Mafia 2, while still good...wasnt anywhere near it's prequel

Obligatory racing mission post.

Yeah, playing this back when it came out was mind-blowing. I couldn't believe how realistic the faces looked. I agree with all of your main points and the cohesiveness of the world really is something else. One of my favourite stories in a game, too.

The gameplay may be clunky by modern standards, but it's still very functional and I love the shootouts in the game.

Yeah again the shoot outs were just wonderfully grounded. You kind of had to move through them methodically, picking up other weapons as you went. I still remember that glorious fight in the parking garage going level to level, using the old cars as cover and eventually as weapons.

I should have added one more numbered point: the tommy gun. God, these guys depiction of the Thompson was just ridiculous. Tons of walk up, all kinks of scatter, but in the right situation - sheeeeeiit.

Top Bottom