• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: With PS4, Sony Forfeits the Future, tablets/phones/GameStick are true future

I think this perspective represents the macro 'tech analyst' perspective.

Yes, he's mistaken about sales figures, but I do wonder if the overall picture - that casual experiences and media will simply dominate people's times and budgets - isn't actually accurate.

Edit: Added Link! Sorry!

http://blogs.forrester.com/james_mcquivey/13-02-20-sony_bets_on_the_past_forfeits_the_future

Wednesday night, Sony hosted what was reported to be a crowd of more than a thousand people at a rare, Applesque new-product demo. There it debuted the next-generation Playstation, officially dubbed the PS4. The event lasted two hours and featured some of the most accomplished game developers in the world, all on stage to promise that the PS4 was going to make gaming even more lifelike, more responsive, and more addicting than it already is.

I could have saved the company the two hours and the cost of hosting the event. Because boil Sony's announcement down to its essence, and you get these simple words: Sony believes the future will be like the past and has built the game console to prove it.

Don't get me wrong; the console is definitely next-generation (or at least, the specs are next-generation, since the console itself did not make an appearance at the event). It has stunning graphics and the kind of processing power necessary to create lifelike movement and even give game characters artificial-intelligence capabilities that should make hardcore gamers hungry with anticipation for the end of the year (the most specific Sony got about the release timeframe).

While the technology that goes into the console is definitely of the future, the idea behind the PS4 is rooted firmly in the past. Specifically, the PS4 yearns for a glory day of gaming, around 2006, when Sony's PS2 was at the top of the gaming business, having sold in the neighborhood of 150 million consoles. Being the engineering-focused company that it is, Sony's team was already hard at work besting the PS2 with the PS3, a console that would render more polygons than ever before and would hope to expand the role of the console by also putting a newfangled Blu-ray player in it. Though the added horsepower and media functionality cost Sony time to market and drove the cost of the box up, Sony believed then -- as it appears to still -- that engineering excellence would dictate the success of the next generation of game consoles

Let's see, how did that work for Sony? Today, Microsoft's Xbox 360 is the best-selling and most widely used game console of the current generation. In most months in the US, Xbox 360 titles outsell Wii and PS3 titles combined. Instead of learning its lesson from this problem, Sony has spent a few years, we were told, developing the PS4 as if it were under the impression that the problem with the PS3 was that it was not a powerful enough gaming system.

But it's not just about getting the right console to market because, at the same time, the entire console business is under the threat of digital disruption. Sales of consoles have been diminishing month after month. The new Wii U console has failed to gain traction for Nintendo. Tablets and smartphones now engage more people in more minutes of gaming than consoles will ever achieve. GameStick, the Kickstarter-funded gaming console built into a controller, is now available for pre-order for $79, and other companies are betting against dedicated hardware of any kind, instead offering streaming games over commodity hardware.

Gaming, gaming, everywhere, and not a drop for Sony to drink. It's a painful irony of digital disruption that even as something becomes more popular, the companies that built their businesses around it falter. Today, we listen to more music in more ways than ever before, yet music labels are half the size they were a decade ago. We read more news than we ever have, yet newspapers are going out of business right and left. By aiming for the glorious past of gaming, Sony might as well be announcing the launch of a 24-hour cable news channel or a slick, new, weekly newsmagazine.

Most telling is the fact that Sony did not announce a price for the PS4, possibly because they don't know yet what it will cost to make, but more likely because they don't know how aggressively they'll have to subsidize it to sell it. Because sell it Sony must, no matter what the cost, because missteps aside, the PS4 is Sony's best shot at creating a digital customer relationship for eventually building the kind of digital platform that Apple and Google have and Microsoft -- on the strength of the Xbox 360 -- is working toward. In the end, far more important to Sony's long-term hopes will be amassing the power of a digital platform that spans multiple devices, even devices Sony doesn't manufacture. But making that big a change will require massive adjustments at the famously siloed Sony, and so far, the PS4 announcement doesn't reveal even a hint that Sony is ready to join the other digital platforms at this most ambitious game.

Given that, I'll make a bet of my own about the future: Sony will sell fewer PS4s than it did PS3s.

Sony has spent a few years, we were told, developing the PS4 as if it were under the impression that the problem with the PS3 was that it was not a powerful enough gaming system.

Reading stuff like this makes me wonder if this person watched the conference at all.

ekim

blablabla... those analysts should stay away from the "mobile gaming is king" attitude. There will be always a marked a AAA games (Fifa,COD...)

i-Lo

Same pile of crap adorned the unveiling of last gen, esp, for PS3.

More to the point, the number of gamers have increased more than the existing market has changed.

h3ro

Why do analysts seem to think that everyone wants a mobile/tablet type gaming experience?

I play games on my ipad and iphone occasionally and I have an Ouya ordered because I'm genuinely interested in the tech. Not because I want the entirety of my gaming time to be word games and 2D 8bit flash games.

Mung

Why does what he says matter more than what we say? Cos he gets paid for it?

Lots of people have opinions since yesterday. This doesn't seem any more considered.

Derrick01

Banned
I could have told you what these tech sites and analysts were going to say before the event even happened last night. They are cemented to Apple's tit.

LuuKyK

And who is this analyst?

Edit: Oh you added. Anyway. Smartphones have been the future of gaming for some years now. lol But it still didnt stop PS3/360 from being hits.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I would like to force these journalists and "analysts" to eat an iPad, raw, in front of me at this point, Hannibal Lecter stylee.

DOES IT TASTE GOOD? DO YOU STILL LOVE IT SO MUCH?

KePoW

Banned
I know what he said will not be popular with the hardcore GAF crowd who loves high hardware specs.

But I think he has a couple legitimate points in there.

Analyst is quite dumb in thinking console gamers will abandon consoles. The mobile gaming space is only an expansion of
The gaming base, NOT the abandonment of the console base.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
how about shoving your tablet and your phone up your wise ass? Because not everything needs to be these two things and appeal to people who buy them. Market diversity, how does it work?

50% of my gaming time is on mobile now

Reading stuff like this makes me wonder if this person watched the conference at all.

I watched the conference. Sony showed a controller. Then they described what they might do with Gaikai over the next few years. Then they showed one game being played followed by a bunch of videos of games that may or may not be real, and ended with a Ubisoft demo being played off of a PC. It felt rushed. Not sure why they felt the need to do it other than desperation for some attention. They certainly weren't ready, and that was obvious.

Why is he writing on a website rather than making his trillions?
Speed Edit: On Bacon's point; the lack of controller stuff was really really weird.

Does the light work with Move and MM's game?
What the fuck does the touch pad do?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Analysts are always wrong before launch

Or if youre Pachter, youre just always wrong

I watched the conference. Sony showed a controller. Then they described what they might do with Gaikai over the next few years. Then they showed one game being played followed by a bunch of videos of games that may or may not be real, and ended with a Ubisoft demo being played off of a PC. It felt rushed. Not sure why they felt the need to do it other than desperation for some attention. They certainly weren't ready, and that was obvious.

It was rushed, it had some very cool concepts and promises, but I do feel like they just wanted to be "first"

Sophia

Most telling is the fact that Sony did not announce a price for the PS4, possibly because they don't know yet what it will cost to make, but more likely because they don't know how aggressively they'll have to subsidize it to sell it

Do these Analysts conveniently forget that rarely is the price ever announced at such an unveiling event?

And who is this analyst?

James L. McQuivey, Ph.D.

VICE PRESIDENT, PRINCIPAL ANALYST SERVING CONSUMER PRODUCT STRATEGY PROFESSIONALS

Previously at Forrester, James served as a vice president and research director, running Consumer Technographics® North America, Forrester's unparalleled consumer research effort. Before that, he was a senior analyst and founding member of the online retail strategies practice at Forrester. In addition to keynoting at industry events and Forrester Forums, James is routinely sought after for comment by such publications as The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. He also appears frequently on NPR and CNBC.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Instead of learning its lesson from this problem, Sony has spent a few years, we were told, developing the PS4 as if it were under the impression that the problem with the PS3 was that it was not a powerful enough gaming system.
This is very wrong. He's ignoring the fact that third-party devs demanded a dev friendly platform with good specs and that's what Sony delivered.

He doesn't really explain why he feels that way but gives random explanations about how tablets and smartphones have taken over, etc., which of course we've been hearing for years now.

Curufinwe

Microsoft's Xbox 360 is the best-selling and most widely used game console of the current generation

The Wii only sold 23 million more units, and the 360 and PS3 are now almost tied in worldwide sales despite the 360 being available for a year plus longer, but who cares about facts.

hteng

Banned
I don't think mobile gaming can completely take over console gaming's time, you usually see people playin on their mobiles during downtimes, in shortbursts, in a bus, in a train, while waiting in the airport..etc. It hardly eats into couch gaming.

Kapoios

Neo Member
So basically, according to this analyst, PS4 should have been a smartphone targeting the mainstream (non-gamer) audience, gotcha.

1-D_FTW

Analysts are always wrong before launch

Mostly. They're stuck analyzing the past data points and are incapable of reading trends and doing critical analyst of new data. It's why they're always caught looking in the rear mirror.

Honestly, if PS4 doesn't succeed (and it did everything you could possibly hope for), the console market is just plain dead. I almost think people went to sleep during the talkie parts. Because there was a lot of ingenious stuff laid out. If that's not enough, nothing will be.

I'm pretty damn hyped for the PS4, but it's funny to watch people who were completely nonchalant about all the articles of handheld doom from mobile, now suddenly get frantic when the possibility that it affected consoles becomes an idea.

Concept17

This is going to be the worst discussion all year. Consoles vs mobile platforms. I'm already tired of it.

They are not one and the same.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not a single mention of cloud or gaikai?

PS4 wasn't the only initiative Sony announced last night.

They are laying the groundwork for a future where the ground may shift from under their feet more fundamentally. They are, going forward, no longer tied to any one box.

CREMSteve

Man, I must be unlike everyone else in the world, because I don't spend minute of gaming on a phone or tablet. I game on consoles (and a little on PC), period.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
...gamestick? It's on like a thumb drive? I haven't seen this before. I am kinda curious now.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's a shame that the whole infatuation with mobile/tablets is always going to cloud actual analysis since analysts seem to think that's the only way that gaming can be successful in the future.

For the record, I haven't met a game yet on mobile/tablets that has made me not want to play console games.

grkazan12

Audiophiles will always exist and will always listen to vinyls even though a more convenient method exists in the form of MP3s.

I don't think gaming consoles are that directly comparable and as niche as the music analogy, but what I'm trying to say is that there will always be a market imo.

I love iOS as a gaming platform, but not every game has to be played on a tablet or a phone with average touch buttons and controls. To say that Sony has failed already is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom