• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony completely revises list of PS4 EU studios, down from 53 to 28 [to 30]

Nibel

Knack off if old

Sony made wholesale corrections to the list of European/PAL companies confirmed as PS4 developers and publishers, reducing the list of named studios from 53 to 28. Curiouser, not one of the developers and publishers named on the previous list makes an appearance on the new roll call. A spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe confirmed to us the first list, sent out last week, was erroneous, and this new one is correct. There are no revisions for any other regions.

The new list removes a number of significant names, including Mojang (Minecraft), Rovio (Angry Birds), Frozenbyte, Criterion Games, and City Interactive. In their stead are some new noteworthy studios, such as CD Projekt, who've confirmed The Witcher 3 as a PS4 game. Also included are Bohemia Interactive, Deep Silver, Ninja Theory, IO Interactive, Codemasters, 2K Games, and Sumo Digital. The full list can be found after the break.

We've reached out to a number of studios for comment. Mojang's Daniel Kaplan reiterated to us the comments he gave to Gamasutra, saying his studio hasn't decided anything yet, and that the error is "confusion from Sony's side." Gamasutra's article also confirms Super Crate Box developer Vlambeer and Skulls of the Shogun creator 17-Bit, both included in the original list, as not currently working on anything for the PS4.

A spokesperson for Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess developer Mediatonic, included in the original list but not in the corrected one, told us he couldn't make any comment on his studio and PS4 development. Meanwhile, Sumo Digital's inclusion adds weight to the rumor the British studio is working on LittleBigPlanet 3, but for the PS4. When approached previously about LBP3, a studio representative told Joystiq, "No comment."

• Avalanche Studios
  • Blitz Games Studios
  • Bohemia Interactive
  • CD Projekt RED
  • Climax Studios
  • Codemasters
  • Criterion
  • Hello Games
  • Just Add Water (Developments), Ltd.
  • Deep Silver
  • Lucid Games Ltd
  • MercurySteam
  • Ninja Theory Ltd
  • Nixxes Software BV
  • Paradox Interactive
  • Rebellion
  • Saber Interactive
  • Creative Assembly
  • IO Interactive
  • Starbreeze Studios
  • 2K Games
  • Team 17 Digital LTD
  • Yager
  • Zen Studios
  • keen games
  • Splash Damage
  • Stainless Games Ltd
  • Sumo Digital
  • Codemasters
  • TT Games

Source (Joystiq)

Hmm..

I wouldn't read too much into this but still, that is on impressive list.

If Bohemia brings dayz to ps4 it will sell that console to me

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly I prefer the revised list. Although it seems like a really weird thing to happen. How did they come up with all those folks on the first list to begin with?

So this is just EU studios. Well Mojang weren't on the original list so maybe more will commit later when they finalise plans. Some probably just said they were considering it and Sony took that as confirmation.

Johnbig

Banned
Sumo Digital were rumoured to making LittleBigPlanet 3, wonder if this means anything.

Edit: Just noticed it says that in the article, lol.

Elios83

It's nice to have a list of the people who are confirmed to be developing a PS4 game instead of 'thinking about it'.
I really welcome the presence of CD Project RED and Mercury Steam.

Goddamn, why such a drop in devs?

Actually developing a PS4 game right now versus promising support in the future.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
They added a few more since then. Criterion and Codemaster have been added.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

Goddamn, why such a drop in devs?

We've reached out to a number of studios for comment. Mojang's Daniel Kaplan reiterated to us the comments he gave to Gamasutra, saying his studio hasn't decided anything yet, and that the error is "confusion from Sony's side."

It sounds like they just dumped everyone they have been having talks with.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Same fate as Nintendo. Sony is losing third-party support fast and the console isn't out yet.
All that RAM didn't help, huh?

Weird... That one finnish composer has informed he is working on an unannounced PS4 game and only studios he most likely is working with is Frozenbyte, Housemarque, Rovio or Remedy. And I doubt it is Remedy.

So one of these studios is 99% doing something on PS4, most likely Housemarque with a new Stardust or somethin.

The new list removes a number of significant names, including Mojang (Minecraft), Rovio (Angry Birds), Frozenbyte, Criterion Games, and City Interactive. In their stead are some new noteworthy studios, such as CD Projekt, who've confirmed The Witcher 3 as a PS4 game. Also included are Bohemia Interactive, Deep Silver, Ninja Theory, IO Interactive, Codemasters, 2K Games, and Sumo Digital. The full list can be found after the break.

I wonder if the list (as of Feb. 20th, 2013) was very outdated.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not sure why anyone pays attention to these lists at all.

You know how you'll know when a developer is supporting a console? When they announce a game for that console and show you evidence that the game exists and is actually coming to market.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
so who did they remove?

Mostly everyone.

Old List:

<EUROPE / PAL>

• 4A Games
  • Kalyspo Media
  • 505 Games
  • Laughing Jackal
  • Abstraction
  • Ludosity
  • Beatshapers
  • Mediatonic
  • Big Ant
  • Milestone
  • Big Bit
  • Mojang
  • BitComposer
  • Onmi Systems
  • Bloober Team S.A.
  • Prodigy Design
  • Boss Alien
  • Ripstone
  • Bugbear
  • Roll7
  • Cauldron
  • Ronimo
  • City Interactive
  • Rovio
  • Criterion Games
  • Shortround
  • Croteam
  • Sperasoft
  • Curve Studios
  • Sproing
  • Dakko Dakko Ltd
  • Stormbasic
  • Deck 13
  • Straight Right
  • Double Eleven
  • Targem
  • Eko Software
  • Tate
  • FatShark
  • Techland
  • Flying Wildhog
  • Tonika
  • Four Door Lemon
  • Torus Games
  • Frozenbyte
  • Vector Cell
  • FuturLab
  • Virtual Toys
  • Gaijin
  • Vlambeer
  • GHOST GAMES - AN EA STUDIO
  • Wizarbox
  • Green Hill Studios

Nibel

Pitchford was in the reel too, so I don't want to follow your logic.

H0YcdcP.jpg

Tameem shaved his DmC-Dante hair off, he's done with the franchise

Isn't that obvious to you?

Mostly everyone.

Old List:

<EUROPE / PAL>

• 4A Games
  • Kalyspo Media
  • 505 Games
  • Laughing Jackal
  • Abstraction
  • Ludosity
  • Beatshapers
  • Mediatonic
  • Big Ant
  • Milestone
  • Big Bit
  • Mojang
  • BitComposer
  • Onmi Systems
  • Bloober Team S.A.
  • Prodigy Design
  • Boss Alien
  • Ripstone
  • Bugbear
  • Roll7
  • Cauldron
  • Ronimo
  • City Interactive
  • Rovio
  • Criterion Games
  • Shortround
  • Croteam
  • Sperasoft
  • Curve Studios
  • Sproing
  • Dakko Dakko Ltd
  • Stormbasic
  • Deck 13
  • Straight Right
  • Double Eleven
  • Targem
  • Eko Software
  • Tate
  • FatShark
  • Techland
  • Flying Wildhog
  • Tonika
  • Four Door Lemon
  • Torus Games
  • Frozenbyte
  • Vector Cell
  • FuturLab
  • Virtual Toys
  • Gaijin
  • Vlambeer
  • GHOST GAMES - AN EA STUDIO
  • Wizarbox
  • Green Hill Studios

I haven't heard of 90% of these studios.

grumble

Has Sony been reaching out to traditionally PC developers? It seems that with the friendly architecture that the PS4 could absolutely steal a little of Steam's sunshine, or at least make things cross platform. Some of the experiences that are more popular on the PC traditionally could be made to work with a PS3 controller. If they aren't doing their best to make the console extremely developer-friendly, they're screwing up!

Ninja Theory is already working on a next gen game,DmC 2?

My first thought was a new Heavenly Sword, given:

- Tameem was in the PS4 interview reel
- Heavenly Sword footage shown in PS3 reel - why show footage of a half-baked PS3 game if you're not going to be pimping a sequel soon?

Also, what third party publisher would be crazy enough to work with NT again after 3 commercial disasters in a row? And Microsoft rejected them the first time.

You know how you'll know when a developer is supporting a console? When they announce a game for that console and show you evidence that the game exists and is actually coming to market.

^This. The lists mean nothing.

Trevelyan

Banned

- Heavenly Sword footage shown in PS3 reel - why show footage of a half-baked PS3 game if you're not going to be pimping a sequel soon?

Also, what third party publisher would be crazy enough to work with NT again after 3 commercial disasters in a row?

There's also a Heavenly Sword animated movie being released this year.

This works.

Unless you're Square Enix.

xptoxyz

So devs who don't want to be listed due to unannounced games? Because some of those don't make sense as not developing for PS4.

persongr

Tameem shaved his DmC-Dante hair off, he's done with the franchise

Isn't that obvious to you?

It's all part of a big, hair-themed, conspiracy then, eh?

But, don't get me wrong, I do want an HS 2, I just don't think everyone included in that reel is developing an exclusive game to PS4.

Dragon

Banned

Also, what third party publisher would be crazy enough to work with NT again after 3 commercial disasters in a row?

It's really sad about NT because their games are above average for the most part even considering their flaws. I don't know that we need another HS though, Sony seems to have Beyond and David Cage for that sort of game now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Has Sony been reaching out to traditionally PC developers? It seems that with the friendly architecture that the PS4 could absolutely steal a little of Steam's sunshine, or at least make things cross platform. Some of the experiences that are more popular on the PC traditionally could be made to work with a PS3 controller. If they aren't doing their best to make the console extremely developer-friendly, they're screwing up!

CD Projekt is one example.

Just FWIW, there are studios still on this list not working on PS4 games. These lists are always somewhat suspect, full of people who want to be, who sign up to dev programs and get devkits, but aren't actively making a PS4 game right now.

Top Bottom