• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit 2 - The next episode is:

ZeH6xdX.jpg

Anyone else a big fan of this podcast? I started listening to it a few weeks back, and I love it. Hilarious, and all around, awesome.

They talk about a good range of movies, but for the most part, they watch 'bad' movies, and then review them. Breaking down what was wrong with the film, and generally, what the heck they were thinking.

The Host: Paul Scheer

Jason Mantzoukas

June Diane Raphael

Every episode, they have a different guest.

Where to listen:

Website.
iTunes.
Or just search for them in any podcast manager.

I recommend listening to 'The Devil's Advocate' episode first. Not only is that episode amazing, but it got me hooked to the show.

List of places where you can watch the movie, before listening to the episode:
Just discovered this podcast so I decided to make a list of all the films currently on Netflix. I'm not sure whether i'm excited or dreading watching all these terrible films.

Burlesque (UK/Canada)
Season of the Witch (Canada)
Old Dogs (UK)
The Last Airbender (UK)
Drive Angry (Canada)
Fast 5 (Canada)
The Tourist (Canada)
Crank 2 (UK)
Green Lantern (Sweden)
The Back-Up Plan (UK/Canada)
The Smurfs (Canada)
Skyline (Brazil)
Gigli (Canada/US)
The Wicker Man (UK)
Punisher: War Zone (UK)
Catwoman (Sweden)
Jingle All the Way (USA)
Crank (Sweden)
Trespass (UK/USA)
88 Minutes (Sweden/Brazil)
Abduction (USA)
On the Line (UK)
Bad Ass (Canada/USA)
Judge Dredd (UK)
Roadhouse (UK/USA)
Reindeer Games (UK/USA/Canada)
The Devil’s Advocate (Sweden)
In The Name of the King (USA)
Street Fighter (UK)
Joyful Noise (Sweden)
Howard the Duck (UK)
Sharknado (Canada/USA)
Over The Top (UK)
Toys (USA)
Congo (USA)
Halloween III (UK)
Crossroads (Sweden)

This might be helpful if you want to see if a particular film is available anywhere:

http://www.canistream.it

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Love this podcast. I made a thread over in gaming when they did the Super Mario Bros. episode.

My favorite eps are Road House, Punisher War Zone, Fast Five, and the Crank 2 postmortem with one of the directors.

I love bad movies, and Paul Scheer, so this podcast is pretty much made for me. I couldn't recommend it enough.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Love this show. It's top tier entertainment if you haven't seen the movie they talk about (and you'll want to once they finish) but if you HAVE seen the movie they're doing? Then it's god-tier. Really, really amazing show.

If I had one gripe it's their advertising, but it's a TINY price to pay for so much goodness.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
That's funny because I just started too! The Devil's Advocate episode was great. Batman & Robin too.

Need to get some older ones.

big ander

I listened at the beginning but I got tired of it. I'd probably love it again if I had time to add it back in with the podcasts I listen to regularly, but I don't

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Love this show. It's top tier entertainment if you haven't seen the movie they talk about (and you'll want to once they finish) but if you HAVE seen the movie they're doing? Then it's god-tier. Really, really amazing show.

If I had one gripe it's their advertising, but it's a TINY price to pay for so much goodness.

I don't mind it, since they have bills to pay, but the advertising can be annoying(only really when they do back-to-back ones).

That's funny because I just started too! The Devil's Advocate episode was great. Batman & Robin too.

Need to get some older ones.

Definitely check out the 'Fast Five', 'Judge Dredd', and the 'Twilight' ones. And watch 'Sleepaway Camp', before listening to it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely check out the 'Fast Five', 'Judge Dredd', and the 'Twilight' ones. And watch 'Sleepaway Camp', before listening to it.

Shit, I missed their Fast Five one. Thanks for that, it makes work go by quicker.

Alright I just finished the Super Mario Bros one. I need to watch that movie again. Hearing some of those scenes brought back memories. And that June girl was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I've had a weird crush on her since that movie. She's pretty funny.

Thanks for the heads up on this podcast. I'll defienely check out more episodes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is my favorite podcast. Good to see it's getting some love.

BTW everyone needs to watch Nothing But Trouble. It's one of the most insane movies I've ever seen and the episode is hilarious.

aett

I found the "88 Minutes" episode to be one of my all-time favorites. Listening to how stupid the movie's story is and the podcast hosts trying to wrap their brains around it (while doing great Pachino impersonations) cracked me up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Alright I just finished the Super Mario Bros one. I need to watch that movie again. Hearing some of those scenes brought back memories. And that June girl was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I've had a weird crush on her since that movie. She's pretty funny.

Thanks for the heads up on this podcast. I'll defienely check out more episodes.

I had to go re-watch the movie after listening to it. I haven't really seen it since I was little, and I loved it as a kid, but man, it is a hot mess.

I found the "88 Minutes" episode to be one of my all-time favorites. Listening to how stupid the movie's story is and the podcast hosts trying to wrap their brains around it (while doing great Pachino impersonations) cracked me up.

The pachino impressions were amazing in Devils Advocate. My favorite cast member is Jason. Just about everything that comes out of his mouth is pure gold.

Just listened for the first time a week ago thanks to the podcast recommendation thread here on GAF. Listened to the Nothing But Trouble episode. They hit the nail on the head on a lot of stuff and I couldn't stop laughing at how appalled and disgusted they were by just about every scene. Also their analysis of the bizarre Jamaican couple had me loling too. Toxics!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They just uploaded a new episode yesterday(or the day before). It is on the movie, 'From Justin to Kelly'. It is live, and has Nick Kroll as a guest. I heard it today on my commute...freaking hilarious. Now I kinda want to see this film lol.

GRW810

Never heard of this before it sounds like a great concept. Only trouble is I don't think I could bring myself to watch bad films just to follow the critique so I'd probably only listen if the film in question was one I'd already seen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Never heard of this before it sounds like a great concept. Only trouble is I don't think I could bring myself to watch bad films just to follow the critique so I'd probably only listen if the film in question was one I'd already seen.

If you havent seen it, it doesnt take away from the show. You would(of course) enjoy it more if you have seen it, but as long as you know what the movie is, you will still laugh.

GRW810

If you havent seen it, it doesnt take away from the show. You would(of course) enjoy it more if you have seen it, but as long as you know what the movie is, you will still laugh.
Hmmm... might check them out anyway then. Would be interesting to hear a detailed constructive breakdown rather than just "this is shit."

Hmmm... might check them out anyway then. Would be interesting to hear a detailed constructive breakdown rather than just "this is shit."

They don't really do this. They hop around the shitty parts of the movie and point out the absurdities, really. The absurdities are often such that even if you never watched the movie, you're probably going to start laughing because, basically, "What the fuck could people have possibly been thinking when they paid to have this shit created?"

Their best episode is probably the one where Jack O'Halloran is a guest. They pick on Superman III (which O'Halloran wasn't even in) pretty decently, and then it becomes a Q&A, and the stories O'Halloran tells are fucking great. He also doesn't seem to like Mantzoukas much, or at least he's playing that aspect up a little.

One of the bigger criticisms is that they're almost never all in the same room together, so there's a lot of June & Jason stomping all over each other's feet, essentially, as they race to the punchlines they've jotted down.

Think of it less as a critique or even a cogent analysis. It's more like a Mystery Science Theater Recap Show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They just uploaded a new episode yesterday(or the day before). It is on the movie, 'From Justin to Kelly'. It is live, and has Nick Kroll as a guest. I heard it today on my commute...freaking hilarious. Now I kinda want to see this film lol.

I'll be hitting this tonight. Was happy to hear they mentioned Tupac's cameo as he was a Digital Underground member in the Nothing But Trouble episode.

ToxicAdam

The latest episode was fantastic. Laughed my ass off.

I was kind of worried at first, I thought Nick Kroll was never going to shut up and let them get to the movie. lol

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I listen to this episode all the time and I never feel like i'm missing out when I haven't seen the movie they're talking about. It just becomes like your friends are super excited to tell you about how terrible this film they've watched is. Obviously if you've seen it then you can laugh along because you know what they're talking about, but they basically go through the story of the film while they're doing it so I always end up laughing at what comes next regardless. Great podcast, if you're still not sure I'd recommend downloading the ones you've seen first if that helps you get into it, but if there's something that sounds like it's going to be amazing or you're just a little curious about it then definitely check out the others too.

SmithnCo

I haven't seen a lot of the movies but they're still hilarious. Sometimes I'll look up a particular scene on youtube if it sounds particularly ridiculous.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Haven't found it on YouTube, and it isn't on Netflix. Jason saying Kelly is a very sexy man, had me rolling.

I had to google the "tie skirt" to see what they were talking about.
photo_14.jpg

Crazy. Wish this movie was on youtube, it sounds like such a glorious trainwreck

That fan compilation in the recent preview episode was incredibly good.

Fast Five was far and away the best one they've ever done.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I haven't seen a lot of the movies but they're still hilarious. Sometimes I'll look up a particular scene on youtube if it sounds particularly ridiculous.

Same and I still love this show so much.

The 88 Minutes episode is still my favorite.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I had to google the "tie skirt" to see what they were talking about.
photo_14.jpg

Crazy. Wish this movie was on youtube, it sounds like such a glorious trainwreck

Lol omg. I have to watch this movie now.

Edit-Its $3 on amazon rental.

That fan compilation in the recent preview episode was incredibly good.

Fast Five was far and away the best one they've ever done.

Definitely among the best. Punisher: War Zone and The Room have to be up there as well.

Those were god tier, but Devil Advocate takes the cake. My sides hurt after I was done listening through all of it.

I am addicted to this podcast. It's hard to watch some of the movies they talk about without actively paying to rent them, but it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the show.

The Birdemic and The Room episodes... oh man. :lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I overall enjoy this podcast but it's really hit or miss. It lacks structure, they jump back and forth all over the plot of the movie they are describing, it's funny to them but not the listener when they start laughing before telling the joke. On recent episodes, guests barely get to speak. Paul Sheer needs to do a better job at hosting.

Also, describing every scene or entire movie as insane is not funny, helpful or anything. It's like listening to a 13 year old describe something.

"Oh my G0D, it's was INSANE!"

Anaconda episode was great. I really like the live shows, I normally don't when it comes to podcasts. Jason seems so fired up for them.

I started listening because of this thread.

Fast Five and Devil's Advocate were pretty damn funny. Judge Dredd was pretty good too, spaghetti hacking.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anaconda episode was great. I really like the live shows, I normally don't when it comes to podcasts. Jason seems so fired up for them.

The live shows are the best. They play off the audience reactions, and seem pumped up for them. June barely talked the last live one(Justin to Kelly) though.

I started listening because of this thread.

Fast Five and Devil's Advocate were pretty damn funny. Judge Dredd was pretty good too, spaghetti hacking.

Hearing June explain her theory on spaghetti hacking was one of my favorite moments.

One of the few times I watched a movie before the podcast was for Sleepaway Camp.
HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT at that movie! That ending genuinely unsettled me.

That episode of the podcast was amazing too, especially because i had just watched it ahead of time and knew exactly what they were tip-toeing around discussing for a while, haha.

Tom_Cody

Always a favorite. I was just listening to the current episode (Justin/Kelly) this morning. I kind of want to watch the movie now before I finish the rest of the episode. I love this podcast now and forever.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fox(or whoever makes it) is going to see a spike in sales, and get the grand idea to green light a sequel. Ruben and Akin like they wanted(podcast guys, not fox) lol.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I overall enjoy this podcast but it's really hit or miss. It lacks structure, they jump back and forth all over the plot of the movie they are describing, it's funny to them but not the listener when they start laughing before telling the joke. On recent episodes, guests barely get to speak. Paul Sheer needs to do a better job at hosting.

Also, describing every scene or entire movie as insane is not funny, helpful or anything. It's like listening to a 13 year old describe something.

"Oh my G0D, it's was INSANE!"
I think their enthusiasm for describing a particular bit of the movie they noticed is what makes it work.

Funny coincidence; I just discovered this podcast. It's great.

I listened to Super Mario Bros. and The Room yesterday. Both were fantastic. I'll probably give From Justin to Kelly a listen tonight.

Top Bottom