• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The top 10 comedy podcasts ever, and the top 10 comedy podcast eps of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

according to Vulture

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/best-comedy-podcasts-and-episodes-of-2015.html

best comedy podcasts:

1 - Comedy Bang Bang!
2 - Stop Podcasting Yourself
3 - My Brother, My Brother and Me
4 - Harmontown
5 - How did this get made
6 - Throwing Shade
7 - Hollywood Handbook
8 - With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus
9 - Pistol Shrimps Radio
10 - The Read

Earwolf killin it. Tho Hollywood Handbook is N°1 you bullies

the best eps of 2015 list is great, and a good starting point for these

BEST COMEDY PODCAST EPISODES

1. “Judge John Hodgman,” "The Santa Suit"
Unlike most advice shows, John Hodgman focuses on often picayune disputes between friends or loved ones. But these cases, about how best to deal with a bat infestation or where it’s okay to leave a gross towel to dry in a shared office, are often about how we should live our lives. This episode, where a woman complains that her husband’s Santa impersonation is creeping too far into her marriage, is typically funny and poignant. Considering the subject, it’s also one the cutest podcast episodes of all time.

2. “Spontaneanation,” "A Theme Park Break Room"
Paul F. Tompkins’s new podcast “Spontaneanation” is built on a format you’ll find at most improv theaters: A cast of comedians base a long-form improv on an interview. PFT throws a little wrench in there, though, by allowing the guest to also pick a location. Here, Raphael Bob-Waksberg, creator of BoJack Horseman, suggests “a theme-park break room,” which was exactly what Erinn Hayes, Marc Evan Jackson, and Mark McConville needed for what was easily one of the most wildly funny podcasts of 2015.

3. “U Talkin' U2 to Me?,” "iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour"
This show has more or less grounded to a halt, as hosts “Scott” (Aukerman, of “CBB”) and “Scott” (Adam Scott, of Party Down and Parks and Recreation) have already run through the titular band’s catalogue. Still, this year’s three episodes were a treat. Our hosts get U2 concert tickets and are surprised with something extra. You might have heard about the episode where they interview the band, but this one’s funnier and doesn’t demand as much interest in U2. The bits within bits are dynamite, and the storytelling is fun and just suspenseful enough.

4. “The Best Show,” “Fly Like an Eagle”
“The Best Show” features the most rabid fans in the business, which means the Friends of Tom are probably already furious with me for not including him up top. That said, it’s good to have Tom Scharpling back, as the show, which ran on the radio at WFMU in New Jersey for 13 years, returned after a year off late last year. The best “Best Show” from this new podcast version may be from just after Scharpling’s dad passed away early this year. For a guy who is known for finding comedy in bitterness and grumpiness, Scharpling’s honest reflection was heartfelt, inspiring, and very funny.

5. “Comedy Bang! Bang,” "Mailer Daemon: Jason Mantzoukas, Nick Kroll"
Jason Mantzoukas and Nick Kroll have been on Scott Aukerman’s “CBB” many times, and their extreme comfort with the format and each other leads the trio into unexpected, hilarious, and even gross territory. Were they planning on summoning the Mailer Daemon from the start? Probably not, but we are thankful that’s where they ended up.

6. “Stop Podcasting Yourself,” "Alicia Tobin"
Different guests have different rapport with “SPY”’s two hosts. With Paul F. Tompkins, it’s mutual respect and admiration. With John Dore, it’s mildly adversarial and quippy. For fan favorite Alicia Tobin, it’s giggly silliness. Discussion ranges from Tobin’s health-food knowledge to Canadian snack food pizza pops.

7. “My Brother, My Brother and Me,” "The McElroy Family Fun Hour Brought to You by Totino's"
In the arms race of unique and complicated premises, sometimes a show is so out there that the hosts have to reassure the listener that “this is really happening.” In this special non-canonical episode of “My Brother, My Brother and Me,” the McElroys spend 45 minutes extolling the virtues of the Totino’s family of products. Griffin attempts a pizza-roll “power hour” by eating one each minute. Yes, Totino’s really gave them money to do this. In the world of sponsored content, this is a perfect match.

8. “Never Not Funny” "Andy Daly"
Any appearance where Daly’s not performing as a character is kind of a rare treat. Things get out control quickly as person after person from the show heads across the street to the 7-Eleven in order to find out what’s going with the sign hanging outside. Within about ten minutes, everyone on the show has asked the employees, and the riffs are just as rewarding as classic radio pranks.

9. “How Was Your Week,” "Stick and Pins"
This year, fans of Julie Klausner’s “How Was Your Week” celebrated the release of her Hulu show Difficult People, which is a delight. (Sadly, though understandably, it resulted in Klausner releasing fewer podcast episodes this year than usual.) On this episode, she watches the first two episodes on her laptop and narrates the experience, commercials and all. It’s fascinating to hear about her creative process firsthand, as well her gut reaction to seeing herself onscreen and what she thinks about the finished product.

10. “Til Death Do Us Blart,” "2015"
The brothers McElroy, along with New Zealanders Guy Montgomery and Tim Batt of “The Worst Idea of All Time” (watching Sex and the City 2 every week for a year) have started a new tradition. On Thanksgiving each year, they will release a podcast about Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 — for the rest of their lives. Everyone agrees the movie is bad, but Travis’s 11 annotated laughs send Griffin over the edge. Listen to this year’s episode, or just wait a bit and check back in 2045.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Fuck this list. I love a few of these podcasts but other ones are just popular. I've been listening to a lot of comedy podcasts for a long fucking time and I'm not feeling this list as a "best ever" at all.

I mean fuck, Pistol Shrimps? Harmontown?

Notable sure, but not top 10 of all time.
Not even close.

*Slams door*
"Matt Damon leaves with me*

Coolluck

Neglecting The Dollops' episode about the Iraq war seems like a crime.

A war crime if you will. But yeah, The Dollop deserves to be up here. I'm so glad NeoGAF turned me on to it. I liked it so much I'm even powering through the weirdness of Point vs Point because more Gareth.

Salsa

Fuck this list. I love a few of these podcasts but other ones are just popular. I've been listening to a lot of comedy podcasts for a long fucking time and I'm not feeling this list as a "best ever" at all.

I mean fuck, Pistol Shrimps? Harmontown?

Notable sure, but not top 10 of all time.
Not even close.

*Slams door*
"Matt Damon leaves with me*

I think its surprisingly okay and a good compromise considering its always gonna be subjetcive

Futurematic

'How did this get made' in the top 5? Please.

This list is shit.

And I'd put it in the top 5. How do subjective opinions work again? Lol 😃

I'd recommend We Hate Movies and The Flophouse over How Did This Get Made, if one is looking for bad movie podcasts.

Are they funny? Because I'm always down for more comedy. I don't care about the movies covered or their insights or anything because there's way better choices for that: I just want the hosts and guests to be funny. (The guests are real hit and miss on HDTGM)

The flop house is wonderfully funny. One host was head writer of the daily show. Another host also writes for the daily show. The third guy tries to run a bar.

I find them to be much better than How Did This Get Made, though I still listen to HDTGM from time to time.

neshcom

Banned
I can usually let top ten lists be what they are, but With Special Guest is not a top ten podcast. There have been two really listenable episodes (Santa and Tom Leykis) and everything else has been a chore.

At least nerds is cool now and jocks is pumping our gas.

Are they funny? Because I'm always down for more comedy. I don't care about the movies covered or their insights or anything because there's way better choices for that: I just want the hosts and guests to be funny. (The guests are real hit and miss on HDTGM)

Really funny, both are based out of NYC and approach the material in different styles though. The Flophouse covers contemporary releases while We Hate Movies covers movies that have been out for at least ten years (though they will do listening request months and worst of the year which allows them to tackle current stuff). I started off with HDTGM but these two podcasts are head and shoulders over it. Haven't felt the need to go back to HDTGM since. WHM in particular I find really fun to listen to multiple times,

danm999

Yeah started off with How Did This Get Made but chiming in to say both the Flop House and We Hate Movies have become my default bad movie podcasts. Both are great.

HDTGM is incredibly inconsistent based on the guest/movie, I'm almost a year behind on it now and I'm probably not rushing to go back.

Comedy Bang Bang is still incredible though.

The Beard

Do you listen to more than 5 podcasts? They watch a "bad movie" then they describe the scenes and say hilarious things like, " lol wuuuuuutttt?", "omg!", "I mean, seriously? Lol". It's mildly entertaining, but it I've never laughed hard while listening. Maybe a chuckle now and then.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Really funny, both are based out of NYC and approach the material in different styles though. The Flophouse covers contemporary releases while We Hate Movies covers movies that have been out for at least ten years (though they will do listening request months and worst of the year which allows them to tackle current stuff). I started off with HDTGM but these two podcasts are head and shoulders over it. Haven't felt the need to go back to HDTGM since. WHM in particular I find really fun to listen to multiple times,

Flophouse and WHM are def the superior movie podcasts. WHM in probably my favorite podcast ever.

Salsa

Do you listen to more than 5 podcasts? They watch a "bad movie" then they describe the scenes and say hilarious things like, " lol wuuuuuutttt?", "omg!", "I mean, seriously? Lol". It's mildly entertaining, but it I've never laughed hard while listening. Maybe a chuckle now and then.

what is a street fighter

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A couple of links to the actual podcasts would be quite helpful, gentlemen.

This thread is going to devolve into "but my favorite show isn't here" and I gotta say that yes The Biggest Problem in the Universe should be here. Especially over My Brother My Brother and Me which is nice to listen to on a long road trip but it's never reached hilarious peaks.

1 - Hollywood Handbook
2 - Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project
3 - Uhh Yeah Dude
4 - U Talkin' U2 to me? (not counting the boring final episode)
5 - Comedy Bang Bang
6 - Norm Macdonald podcast
7 - TBTL
8 - Ronna and Beverly
9 - How Did This Get Made?
10 - With Special Guest

Ochre

Neo Member
A war crime if you will. But yeah, The Dollop deserves to be up here. I'm so glad NeoGAF turned me on to it. I liked it so much I'm even powering through the weirdness of Point vs Point because more Gareth.
FOFOP is a good one if you want more of them. Dave's been on over 50 eps, while Gary's been on a few too.

Futurematic

Thanks everybody, I will check them both out 😃

(Anybody know why WHM only goes back to May 2013 in Overcast? I like to start, skimming at least, from the beginning)

I listen to 1 podcast, of course. Who has time for more? Nah I feel you. There's plenty of terrible episodes, I just felt like being snarky as the conflation of one's opinion with (impossible in comedy) objective standards is amusing to me and you jumped right into that one.

The live episodes tend to be the best (if you ever do feel like giving it another chance), and as I already mentioned the show is heavily dependent on the guest. Hence why I was curious about the other comedy movie talk podcasts. I have however laughed out loud, when they use their words properly (their early episodes are indeed pretty bad, and not lol, lol) so obviously our tastes may differ.

My personal number 1 comedy podcast is the Dead Authors one, although clearly highly dependent on the guest as well. Perhaps I have a tolerance for skipping around bad episodes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My personal number 1 comedy podcast is the Dead Authors one, although obviously highly dependent on the guest as well. Perhaps I have a tolerance for skipping around bad episodes.
Unfortunately that's basically done unless he does a special sometime. And the worst episode by far was Scott Aukerman's, where he didn't try at all and just kept making dumb crude jokes.

Almost anything with Paul F. Tompkins is fantastic.

mclem

From a British perspective, I'm a huge fan of the Technical Difficulties podcast, along with the somewhat more serious but still funny No Such Thing As A Fish. I'd also mention the BBC's Friday Night Comedy podcast, although that's somewhat cheating given it's just a podcast version of a radio programme. Also, The Bugle, although it's effectively on hiatus right now.

maus

These podcast all look real dorky.

Uhh Yeah Dude, Last Podcast on the Left, Bill Burr's, Gilbert Gottfried's

Imho, for laugh out loud stuff, not erudite alternative stuff.

Never not funny should have cracked the top 10 I think. I listen to most of the earwolf podcasts on this list. Gonna check out the others.

Hmmm MBMBAM is the only one I listen to. I want to like How Did This Get Made for Scheer and Mantzoukas but it just bores me. Ironically a lot of the podcasts I listen to are hosted by stand ups but aren't comedy podcasts.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This thread is going to devolve into "but my favorite show isn't here" and I gotta say that yes The Biggest Problem in the Universe should be here. Especially over My Brother My Brother and Me which is nice to listen to on a long road trip but it's never reached hilarious peaks.

Good man. They recently broke 5 million downloads too. Such a good show.

Harmontown can be a hit or miss depending on the locale and guests, but as of late, Dan Harmon self deprecation in front of celebrities just doesn't get old. Where else would you find the awkwardness of a successful millionaire asking Aubrey Plaza in an entirely serious manner if he should give up on dating and buy a $6000 sex doll.

barik

Harmontown at number 4! Good shit, didn't expect it to make it in a list like this, it's certainly not for everyone.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bill Burr's Monday Morning podcast for me. He never fails to crack me up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Harmontown can be a hit or miss depending on the locale and guests, but as of late, Dan Harmon self deprecation in front of celebrities just doesn't get old. Where else would you find the awkwardness of a successful millionaire asking Aubrey Plaza in an entirely serious manner if he should give up on dating and buy a $6000 sex doll.
I'll admit, I think I was losing my mind when he was talking about how he had a collection of women's mannequin legs that he uses to masturbate with.

Kinyou

How did this get made is always on fire when they're doing a live episode.

I just want him to release an album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsikV2vhzW4

Vert boil

7 - Hollywood Handbook

rashidapuke31akj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom