• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Ratings: 'Young Sheldon' Marks Biggest Comedy Premiere in 4 Years

Blablurn

680d3defa78b4262_ysuf_thm_16.9_1920x1080.jpg

CBS will have more than a month to hold Young Sheldon over its competitors' heads. Monday's sampling of the new comedy, a month out from its official Nov. 2 premiere, likely set this season's high bar for fall premieres.

After an episode of its parent series, and with final adjustments, the Big Bang Theory spinoff averaged a daunting 3.8 rating among adults 18-49 and 17.2 million viewers. That's incredible retention for the new series. Its lead-in, returning for its 11th season, averaged a 4.1 rating in the key demo and 17.7 million viewers.

Young Sheldon currently ranks as the most-watched comedy premiere since 2011's 2 Broke Girls and the highest-rated since 2013's The Crazy Ones. It also boasts the best retention of any of the many, many comedies to launch out of Big Bang Theory. Plenty of hopes have been pinned to the project. Largely considered the fall season's surest shot at a new hit, it will now have the entire month of October to grow its multiplatform reach and, if CBS is lucky, court the long-term affections of its flagship series' numbered fans.

Young Sheldon's breakout night certainly dampened other showings. The Voice returned to NBC for its 13th cycle with a premiere low. Though it still averaged an enviable 2.6 rating among adults 18-49 for its two-hour stretch, it lost just over 20 percent of its year-ago premiere and offered a weaker live lead-in for new drama The Brave. It averaged a meager 1.3 rating in the key demo and 5.9 million viewers.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...marks-biggest-comedy-premiere-4-years-1043015

Slaythe

I mean, in a way it makes perfect sense since The Big Bang Theory has inexplicably that many viewers to begin with.

Drain You

Genuinely surprised, disliked Big Bang for the longest time, but I warmed up to it after a while. Only found out about this Young Sheldon a couple days ago and wasn't very hopeful for it being good. Judging from the commercials alone the young Sheldon didn't seem to fit the part but hey maybe I'm wrong. I'll reserve my actual judgement till I can catch a couple episodes.

Kremzeek

My parents inexplicably like BBT a lot, but both said they absolutely hated Young Sheldon.

So I don't know...

sarcastor

Young Sheldon currently ranks as the most-watched comedy premiere since 2011's 2 Broke Girls and the highest-rated since 2013's The Crazy Ones

the Crazy Ones was an amazing TV with Robin Williams but got cancelled after 1 season. also it only got 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which doesn't really matter cause RT sucks donkey balls.

Trey

It's actually halfway decent. I think the premise doesn't have a whole lot of potential, but I could see it work as a miniseries.

caliph95

The Big Bang Theory's all seasons are fresh, except the first one, which is at 55 %. Take that as you will.

tbbtrtxea4j.png

the Crazy Ones was an amazing TV with Robin Williams but got cancelled after 1 season. also it only got 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which doesn't really matter cause RT sucks donkey balls.
Ignoring subjectivity of TV
Rt and metacritic is shit for TV they tend only be based in few episodes or the Pilot which isn't always a good indication of the overall season

Especially when they both don't update with full season reviews

maruchan

The show is good, its like the wonder years in the 80's. . only draw back was adult Sheldon trying to make big bang jokes during his narration, if they cut this out and go with pure no joke narration it could be good.

xandaca

It's actually fairly interesting. Nearly all the jokes fall flat, but the stuff about the challenges and disruption of dealing with an exceptionally gifted, socially stunted child are handled with surprising delicacy and it hits its emotional notes with a degree of poignancy. As on Big Bang, Sheldon's relationship to the female characters bring out the most interesting material and Zoe Perry is terrific as Sheldon's mother, as is the girl playing Missy (his sister, easily the funniest character and someone clever in her own right but overshadowed by her brother). The dad and brother don't get much to do except be an exasperated dimwit and yokel boy stereotype respectively, and a conversation between them which should bring out some depth is quickly undercut for a limp joke. Despite that, when the dad does slightly open up to Sheldon at the end, it makes the moment between them work surprisingly well, especially since the only personal connection we've seen Sheldon have until that point is with his mother - and possibly, going forward, music teacher.

I'm not going to say it's good, mostly because 90% of the comedy doesn't work at all (only Sheldon's sister muttering 'son of a bitch' under her breath made me actually laugh), and the drama isn't anything special and requires one ignore that the Sheldon at the beginning of BBT was not someone who had ever learnt lessons or made any sort of personal or familial connections, which he's already done by the end of the YS pilot. However, it does have the potential to be at least a nice, heartfelt show about how a family adapts to a child with exceptional needs, with a couple of good performances keeping it ticking over. It's never going to be Malcolm In The Middle, but is very different and better than what might've been expected. Could do without the Jim Parsons voiceover, though.

forrest

formerly nacire
The show is good, its like the wonder years in the 80's. . only draw back was adult Sheldon trying to make big bang jokes during his narration, if they cut this out and go with pure no joke narration it could be good.

That is always how I try to describe The Goldbergs to people who haven't seen it. A lighter take on the Wonder Years set in the 80's.

Boem

I watched the extended trailer thing a while back, the one with full scenes and everything.

And man, everything about it looks horrible. Schmaltz turned up to 11. I mean, BBT definitely isn't for me at all either, but this felt like the most cringeworthy attempt at cuteness mixed with americana I've ever seen. Actually uncomfortable to watch.

Seeing that picture at the top of this thread actually makes my day slightly worse. It's almost impressive how they created a show where everything about it is made to make my soul hurt.

llien

Is 3.8 considered to be a good rating? (is it 3.8 out of 5?)
I feel I'm missing something here.

I'm rather skeptical about long term appeal of a series for adults with a boy as protagonist.

Shauni

Is 3.8 considered to be a good rating? (is it 3.8 out of 5?)
I feel I'm missing something here.

I'm rather skeptical about long term appeal of a series for adults with a boy as protagonist.

Is it good? What is literally the title of the thread?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is the show any good? I know it's not a multicam like BBT, but not much else. Does Parson narrate it?
It basically has nothing to do with TBBT other than Parson narrating it. The fact that it's single cam basically means it's not being written to get an audience to laugh at whatever bad Star Wars joke they come up with.

llien

Is it good? What is literally the title of the thread?

Title says it is "biggest premiere" (number of people who watched it, I presume)
It doesn't say much about "and did you like it?" to me.
"Daunting rating" is probably "incredibly good rating", but 3.8 figure doesn't look all that good to me, even if it is 3.8 out of 5. Original series rate 8.3 on IMDB.

So, legit confusion?

Title says it is "biggest premiere" (number of people who watched it, I presume)
It doesn't say much about "and did you like it?" to me.
"Daunting rating" is probably "incredibly good rating", but 3.8 figure doesn't look all that good to me, even if it is 3.8 out of 5. Original series rate 8.3 on IMDB.

So, legit confusion?

It's separate metrics, the 3.8 is talking about the 18-49 viewer bracket that advertiser's froth over. It's not a show quality rating.

Top Bottom