• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Ratings: 'Young Sheldon' Marks Biggest Comedy Premiere in 4 Years

Sojgat

First five minutes felt like that YouTube video of Big Bang Theory without the laugh track. I couldn't go on after that, but maybe it gets better.

shaneo632

How is it? Rotten Tomatoes score is 70-something%, and usually if a TV show doesn't have like 90%+ it's pretty much shit.

orava

Is 3.8 considered to be a good rating? (is it 3.8 out of 5?)
I feel I'm missing something here.

I'm rather skeptical about long term appeal of a series for adults with a boy as protagonist.

The 20-30 something demographic that followed the original show have kids now. The kids can relate to the protagonist and his friends and the parents have the family interactions and time period nostalgia.

Is 3.8 considered to be a good rating? (is it 3.8 out of 5?)
I feel I'm missing something here.

Nothing to do with quality, it's how many people watched it. It's something like 3,8% of all viewers in the 18-49 age bracket watched it within so many hours of the original airing.

llien

You don't think Wonder Years appealed to adults?

Never heard of that series.

The 20-30 something demographic that followed the original show have kids now. The kids can relate to the protagonist and his friends and the parents have the family interactions and time period nostalgia.

Fair enough.

Nothing to do with quality, it's how many people watched it. It's something like 3,8% of all viewers in the 18-49 age bracket watched it within so many hours of the original airing.

Thank you so much, I don't feel that stupid now.

I've watched a bare minimum of network television the past few weeks (football season) and I feel like I've seen 80 commercials for this show.

Swass

The previews for the show made it look like a more annoying "wonder years." I like BBT as a throw away but have zero interest in Young Sheldon.

HeySeuss

WWE Raw used to get better ratings than that on the USA network consistently. Not trying to downplay anything just putting it in perspective for those that don't know what that means. It's a decent rating, but not amazing.

Tiops

qbyjbcx.png

On topic: did not know the show doesnt have a laugh track. Could actually be interesting.

appaws

Banned
I thought it was cute. Liked the sister. Has the adult twin sister ever been in BBT?

The mom is too hot for that shlubby dad.

The brother might be an interesting character if they take his dealing with being brother to an insane genius seriously, and don't just turn him into a cardboard caricature of a crude teenage Texas boy.

vypek

I thought it was cute. Liked the sister. Has the adult twin sister ever been in BBT?

The mom is too hot for that shlubby dad.

The brother might be an interesting character if they take his dealing with being brother to an insane genius seriously, and don't just turn him into a cardboard caricature of a crude teenage Texas boy.

Yeah the sister was shown earlier in the series

YaBish

Nice to hear that it has potential from some of the impressions in here.

I still wish all those people would watch The Good Place instead.

BriGuy

Shouldn't they have gone with a younger kid? There's only so many seasons they can go before he no longer looks or sounds like a younger Jim Parsons.

Zoe

Shouldn't they have gone with a younger kid? There's only so many seasons they can go before he no longer looks or sounds like a younger Jim Parsons.

I read an article where they said the seasons aren't necessarily going to be a year each. They wouldn't have much time because he'll be going to college in under 4 years, and his father is supposed to die before too long.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'll say this: I thought it was an interesting and kind of unique choice to turn this into a single camera sitcom. Good on them for going in an unexpected direction, at least.

this is white people's revenge for Black-ish still being on air right?

Black-ish is good.

snap

Banned
The Big Bang Theory's all seasons are fresh, except the first one, which is at 55 %. Take that as you will.

tbbtrtxea4j.png

RT has never been great for shows. Gotham has never dipped below 80% despite starting out as a very dull show and very quickly going completely hammy and off the rails.

I watched it and just did not like it at all.

The fact that it's shot completely different from the main show is a little weird.

The show seems to hinge on the "ha ha look at the weird kid" and making fun of a kid that has obvious mental disorders.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Haven't seen it but I noticed in the previews that Sheldons dad was in BBT, played one of Leonard's childhood bullies. Weird.

Wonder why they didn't get Laurie Metcalf to play the mom? She still looks good and could pass for young and she plays her character very well in BBT.

Ogodei

It's actually fairly interesting. Nearly all the jokes fall flat, but the stuff about the challenges and disruption of dealing with an exceptionally gifted, socially stunted child are handled with surprising delicacy and it hits its emotional notes with a degree of poignancy. As on Big Bang, Sheldon's relationship to the female characters bring out the most interesting material and Zoe Perry is terrific as Sheldon's mother, as is the girl playing Missy (his sister, easily the funniest character and someone clever in her own right but overshadowed by her brother). The dad and brother don't get much to do except be an exasperated dimwit and yokel boy stereotype respectively, and a conversation between them which should bring out some depth is quickly undercut for a limp joke. Despite that, when the dad does slightly open up to Sheldon at the end, it makes the moment between them work surprisingly well, especially since the only personal connection we've seen Sheldon have until that point is with his mother - and possibly, going forward, music teacher.

I'm not going to say it's good, mostly because 90% of the comedy doesn't work at all (only Sheldon's sister muttering 'son of a bitch' under her breath made me actually laugh), and the drama isn't anything special and requires one ignore that the Sheldon at the beginning of BBT was not someone who had ever learnt lessons or made any sort of personal or familial connections, which he's already done by the end of the YS pilot. However, it does have the potential to be at least a nice, heartfelt show about how a family adapts to a child with exceptional needs, with a couple of good performances keeping it ticking over. It's never going to be Malcolm In The Middle, but is very different and better than what might've been expected. Could do without the Jim Parsons voiceover, though.

It's pretty true to life that people learn lessons and then forget them a few years/decades later.

Top Bottom