• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Ratings: 'Young Sheldon' Marks Biggest Comedy Premiere in 4 Years

1a0.jpg

this image is always weird because it clearly belittles emily blunt by making her the only sex joke

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"Bazinga" is something Sheldon Cooper's abusive brother used to say before he slapped him about. Comic book fans will love that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just watched it and it was pretty sweet
Managed to put a few references into the main series without beating you over the head and it had some nice moments

seems to be quite a talented group of kids coming up between this and a couple of other projects

That is always how I try to describe The Goldbergs to people who haven't seen it. A lighter take on the Wonder Years set in the 80's.

It took me a while to realize that The Wonder Years was actually a deconstruction of our romantization of the 60s and 70s.

"Bazinga" is something Sheldon Cooper's abusive brother used to say before he slapped him about. Comic book fans will love that.

holy fuck.

I think it will be fun to go back to this thread in a year or so because I'll bet anything the show will be regarded mildly positively here.

Note I haven't seen it yet. But it certainly gives off vibes of effort.

FairyD

I hope this spinoff goes on for at least 5 seasons. The endless griping about BBT and this show is fucking hilarious.

My entire family, along with my fiancé’s family, watch BBT regularly. Puzzles the hell out me personally but it clearly struck a chord. I would imagine the success of this was pretty much a guarantee.

Vico

Pleasantly surprised too! I guess I expected it to be like the main show, but way worse. Glad the format's actually different.

Pilot wasn't funny or anything, but overall it was interesting.

Parch

Marketing for Young Sheldon was intense. They promoted the hell out of it on the channels I watch so the trailers pretty much covered the entire first episode.

I didn't think it was that funny so we'll see where it goes. The young actor didn't seem very talented or likeable so I have my doubts about any long term success for the show.

Denton

I started watching this a year ago, now watching the last, seventh season. It is so much better than BBT imho. Absolutely love it.

To think I ignored it for 6 years because I thought the premise was stupid and I was bored and over BBT.

I am going to miss these guys. Especially Missy and Georgie.

Last edited:
I started watching this a year ago, now watching the last, seventh season. It is so much better than BBT imho. Absolutely love it.

To think I ignored it for 6 years because I thought the premise was stupid and I was bored and over BBT.

I am going to miss these guys. Especially Missy and Georgie.

I cant stand laugh tracks anymore. Does it have that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
no laugh tracks. its not a sitcom.

its actually very wholesome. i also ignored it but youtube started recommending it to me one day and it immediately clicked. its basically an old school family oriented middle america comedy, but instead of being a sitcom like those 90s shows, this is a tv serial.

All the characters are very likeable. the dad and the brother especially. if anything, the sheldon parts are the least funny of them all.

now of course ive only seen the funniest bits posted on youtube so the show overall might not be as good but i was very surprised by the quality of writing and the characters being so likeable for a show thats a prequel for arguably the most poorly written hit sitcom of all time.

its actually very wholesome. i also ignored it but youtube started recommending it to me one day and it immediately clicked. its basically an old school family oriented middle america comedy, but instead of being a sitcom like those 90s shows, this is a tv serial.

All the characters are very likeable. the dad and the brother especially. if anything, the sheldon parts are the least funny of them all.

now of course ive only seen the funniest bits posted on youtube so the show overall might not be as good but i was very surprised by the quality of writing and the characters being so likeable for a show thats a prequel for arguably the most poorly written hit sitcom of all time.

Yeah youtube algorithm showed me bits of it as well. Ive fairly enjoyed BBT but i was getting tired of it after its last 3-4 seasons. Ill add this to my list then. Thanks.

Denton

No. As Slimy writes.
I am laughing out loud on regular though. Just last episode I saw with Sheldon complaining to his brother Georgie that his Tandy got violated...I spit my drink.

It also lacks pretty much all the "current thing" and "The Message" nonsense that plagues so much of today's US production. It feels like it was shot in the 80s.

And Chuck Lorre's vanity cards are great.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I watched a fair bit of it and I think the show really struggled with wanting to be a wholesome family but cursed by the inevitable fate of Sheldon's dad and fairly shitty depiction of his siblings on TBBT. I kinda wished they had strayed farther from that stuff because the dad especially got the short end of the stick compared to the mom.

The wife then went through a lot of TBBT again and seeing it a second time the Sheldon character is really just a massive asshole whose given every possible sympathetic outcome. TBBT had a bit of a mean streak that was fun the first time round but seems overly petty once you know where most of the characters end up.

Denton

I watched a fair bit of it and I think the show really struggled with wanting to be a wholesome family but cursed by the inevitable fate of Sheldon's dad and fairly shitty depiction of his siblings on TBBT. I kinda wished they had strayed farther from that stuff because the dad especially got the short end of the stick compared to the mom.
I thought they did stray from that. Dad is great on the show as are the siblings. I ignore how anyone was depicted on TBBT and consider YS to be its own show.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I thought they did stray from that. Dad is great on the show as are the siblings. I ignore how anyone was depicted on TBBT and consider YS to be its own show.
yeah i liked the dad the most. hes a great no-nonsense but caring dad. i think they had a cheating subplot for him in the later seasons which likely didnt go well with fans.

Dural

My 10yo daughter wanted to start watching it because of her friends and that is exactly what it is. The show is really good and Sheldon is probably the least likeable character on it. George and Georgie are both great, as is their Mema.

jason10mm

Gold Member
yeah i liked the dad the most. hes a great no-nonsense but caring dad. i think they had a cheating subplot for him in the later seasons which likely didnt go well with fans.
Yeah, this was the bit I was referring to. In TBBT the dad was supposed to be a kinda bad character, especially towards the mom, but that didn't really fit the YS version, though from what I saw the mom stepped out with the pastor guy well before the dad did with the neighbor (if you extrapolate from the 'hang outs' that substituted for sex in the show). I think they could have skipped that mess and just had him have his
heart attack
without the fall. I think they rehabed the brother a bit better though.

Alcibiades

Caught a couple of episodes on a flight a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it overall. Sweet and funny.

Meanwhile the 1 or 2 episodes and several clips I've seen of Big Bang Theory were horrible. Pretty much complete trash.

Felt like Big Bang Theory was all about appealing to nostalgia and pop culture references - as if that in itself was supposed to be funny. And the dialogue was cringe.

Meanwhile, Young Sheldon had actual witty dialogue and situations. And the characters were much more likeable including Sheldon himself. He's arrogant in a charming way, rather than off-putting way.

Last edited:

Denton

iirc there was slight infatuation between him and his neighbor but they didn't actually sleep together and quickly ended it. I hope I am not misremembering. But it actually felt quite realistic and did not bother me at all.

I just watched second to last episode. Teared up. Only finale left.

And then in september, new show focused on Georgie and Mandy.

YCoCg

because the dad especially got the short end of the stick compared to the mom.
They retconned a lot of the stuff towards the end, the "affair" that Sheldon saw when he was younger was turned into a misunderstanding, it was the mom roleplaying as a different woman, so to us the viewer he didn't cheat but Sheldon was never corrected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom