• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercury Steam: "of course we've thought of making Metroid 3DS"

CaVaYeRo

Enric Álvarez: Of course we've thought of making Metroid 3DS... and that's all I can say (laughs).

Source.

We had a really nice breakfast-chat (2h+) with Mercury Steam team yesterday in Madrid, mostly (and naturally) about the great (IMO) Castlevania LoS: Mirror of Fate. Game director is a huge Metroid fan, and franchise was mentioned several times. Also, his most anticipated game is actually Metroid Wii U.

So we found it rather obvious: Metroid fan, best sample of what a studio can do with the genre on a 3DS, Nintendo now more open to IPs outsourcing... Asked if they had pitched anything already, but that was the only answer.

So, I know there has been some controversy on Mirror's design decisions, but I honestly think they could actually find the sweet point between 3D design and 2D action/exploration for the series. What do you guys think?

Remember Me?

goB1kyQ.gif

No, ta. The demo of Mirror of Fate was OK, but I wouldn't want a Metroid title in that vein. I'd rather a second Team Ninja collaboration before putting the MS team on it.

If anyone is up to the challenge of making a worse Metroid than Other M, surely it must be Mercury Steam!

Mechanically and presentation-wise, Other M was sound. Some questionable design decisions - the first-person sections, for example - and heavy-handed storytelling gave it a boot in the balls, but it was still a far more accomplished title than Mirror of Fate appears to be from what I've played and read.

Sophia

Given how awful the Mirror of Fate demo was at everything that wasn't combat, pretty sure nobody would ever want them near Metroid.

Not sure they'd be the right team, but they at least know how to design levels that don't feel randomly generated, which makes them better suited to Metroid than Iga would be.

No. I really liked Mercury Steam's work, really. But no, Metroid needs to get back to Nintendo, and Metroid needs to get back on 2D sprites, even on 3DS.

Derrick01

Banned
If they can make the series fun again like Lords of Shadow 1 did for Castlevania then I'm all for it. Although apparently the 3DS game isn't so hot.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
After Other M, I reeeally don't think this is what the series would need. In fact, it needs the opposite, in my opinion: go back to the basics (2D, emphasis on exploration), and made by an in-house Nintendo studio.

It doesn't help that I hated Lords of Shadow.

Ridley327

No. I really liked Mercury Steam's work, really. But no, Metroid needs to get back to Nintendo, and Metroid needs to get back on 2D sprites, even on 3DS.

Other M's biggest problems were because of Nintendo, so I'm not sure that's the best advice to be offering here!

Barakov

While interested in the new portable Castlevania, these aren't the guys I want to see to do a 2D Metroid.

Jawmuncher

If its anything like mirror of fate than no thanks.
Personally a HD 2.5 remake of fusion for me would be excellent (still the best metroid game)

CaVaYeRo

Haha wow, I'm really enjoying Mirror here... anyone finished it? Some other colleagues told me story, ending and pace were really, really nice. But haven't finished it yet. Nor that I stopped at the demo though...

Keep them the hell away from Metroid.

I would like to see intelligent systems or even game freak take a sprite based 2.5D Metroid on.

farnham

Banned
Haha wow, I'm really enjoying Mirror here... anyone finished it? Some other colleagues told me story, ending and pace were really, really nice. But haven't finished it yet. Nor that I stopped at the demo though...

You know what was really nice? Order of ecclesia

JDSN

Banned
Hahaha, its nice to want things. Id still trust them over Sakamoto tho. And that interview was a excrusiating excersive of PR deflect and excuses.

Seeing them tackle a Metroid outing could be sort of interesting, they're pretty handy at atmospheric visuals as well though the frame rate on their titles could certainly use some work. Their games so far have deliberately shied away from the full on metroidvania format even if recent CV titles are known for it but there are a few slight nods to the style in both LoS titles, how they'd handle the real deal is a mystery, I wouldn't say i'm for it but there's a lot worse that could happen to the series.

Or we could just all assume that because they made LoS that Metroid would be turned into a linear combat heavy hack and slash with Samus' beam grapple replacing the Combat Cross/Whip.

Refyref

Other M's biggest problems were because of Nintendo, so I'm not sure that's the best advice to be offering here!

Other M's biggest problems in the gameplay department (AKA the only part that matters) were because of Team Ninja.

What I meant, is that Metroid needs either to get back to Retro Studio or Nintendo EAD. No more outsourcing.

EAD has never worked on a Metroid game.

Top Bottom