• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercury Steam: "of course we've thought of making Metroid 3DS"

nope.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm waiting for the LoS 1 to be released on the PC when the sequel is eventually released and then I can finally play the game proper. I played the first few levels and after gouging my eyes out because of the frame rate I decided I probably have something more worthwhile to do. PC has restored my faith in gaming.

Now we gotta see if the platforming gets polished and most of the glitches get fixed. (Not grabbing the ledge when he is supposed to was certainly annoying as hell)

I'm imagining a very bored Patrick Stewart narrating Samus's many elevator rides.

If they get Morgan Freeman to narrate it I'm sold no matter how bad the game might be.

pvpness

I assume the Metroid franchise is dead after nobody bought the last one because it had an offensive story. At this point I would take a side scrolling metroid from any dev out there over a return to the slow-as-fuck prime interpretation.

Well, maybe not any dev...

I'm imagining a very bored Patrick Stewart narrating Samus's many elevator rides.

"The defeat of Kraid has opened but one of the keys to enter Mother Brain's lair of Tourian, but now Samus must journey further down into the depths of Norfair where the ferocious Ridley awaits, I wonder what must be going through her mind as she prepares to face the very monster that slayed her parents, she will endure great mental trauma upon facing him but I have faith that her pure heart is strong enough to overcome the painful imagery that haunts her nightmares, at long last her opportunity for vengeance is at hand, I can only hope it does not consume her..."

Alternatively 30 seconds of Patrick Stewart saying "The Baby" over and over.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ugh, that would be awful. Their inability to optimize their graphics engines to run at even remotely stable framerates would absolutely destroy the fluidity of Metroid.

I still think Tecmo receives too much hate over Other M, though. The core game crafted by Team Ninja plays quite well and actually works as a Metroid title but all of those awful cutscenes and narrative attempts absolutely ruin the experience and that was the result of Nintendo's collaboration.

Refyref

I still think Tecmo receives too much hate over Other M, though. The core game crafted by Team Ninja plays quite well and actually works as a Metroid title but all of those awful cutscenes and narrative attempts absolutely ruin the experience and that was the result of Nintendo's collaboration.

While I do agree the title in general gets too much hate, it is TN's fault the game isn't classic style Metroid, which many people took issue with.

dark10x

While I do agree the title in general gets too much hate, it is TN's fault the game isn't classic style Metroid, which many people took issue with.
True, but I think if you removed the story trimmings and focused more on building atmosphere (while keeping the base game the same) you'd have a better experience.

I like my games with good framerate, so NOPE. It would be like handling DMC to a dev like Ninja Theory.
Are you kidding? Ninja Theory did a wonderful job with DmC. Much better than what MS has done with Castelevania 3DS.

I don't think they are a good choice.

LoS was decent from a gameplay perspective and they are fantastic when it comes to creating beautiful environments but their inability to get some good performance in their games (which is why I'm looking forward to LoS2 on PC and the hinted at port of the first game) would really hurt the Metroid experience. Currently, I'd only trust Retro or From Software to create a good Metroid game.

maeda

Has Nintendo confirmed (or even hinted at) a Metroid game for Wii U?

I've been away from the forum for a while, I wondered if I missed any news on it.
Miyamoto hinted at Metroid U in one of his interviews (I believe at the last year's E3).
I don't get why are people overreacting. If Mercury Steam where to make the game, that would mean Nintendo saw something of value in the developer, furthermore they would be under strict control.

dark10x

Miyamoto hinted at Metroid U in one of his interviews (I believe at the last year's E3).
I don't get why are people overreacting. If Mercury Steam where to make the game, that would mean Nintendo saw something of value in the developer, furthermore they would be under strict control.
I'm not confident they could pull of a decent framerate in one of their games even under Nintendo's direction.

No. I really liked Mercury Steam's work, really. But no, Metroid needs to get back to Nintendo, and Metroid needs to get back on 2D sprites, even on 3DS.
2D sprites, yes please. I don't know anything about this developer other than the fact that they've made a Castlevania game, which I've never paid attention to. Somebody, just give us a good 2D Metroid, please. It's been too long.

Edit: if those comments are real, I suspect we're getting a Metroid game from these guys.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't think they are a good choice.

LoS was decent from a gameplay perspective and they are fantastic when it comes to creating beautiful environments but their inability to get some good performance in their games (which is why I'm looking forward to LoS2 on PC and the hinted at port of the first game) would really hurt the Metroid experience. Currently, I'd only trust Retro or From Software to create a good Metroid game.

From Software on performance? Excuse me but did you played Armored Core V and the same Dark Souls (non PC version) I played?

So wait. This company couldn't be bothered to port their Lords of Shadow games on a Nintendo system and they're postulating about making a Metroid game?

Honestly, I liked Lords of Shadow in that it was a brilliant re-imagining of what Castlevania could be. I tried the demo of the 3DS game last night and, even though it wasn't the easiest thing to get started with, I kind of liked it as it went on. The only thing from Lords of Shadow 2 that I've liked so far is the first trailer.

There are only two companies that can properly handle a Metroid game: Retro and Nintendo (really one company, but two divisions within it). I don't even think Wayforward could make a good Metroid game. Their track record has been slightly above decent.

Even still, if they made a Metroid game I would hope that they do one of two things: set it after Fusion and further explore the powers of the Fusion suit or do what they did to Castlevania and re-imagine the series from scratch. In that second scenario I don't necessarily mean reboot the whole thing, but go for an alternate style while telling the same story in a new way. Kind of like the various comic book heroes get.

serplux

There are only two companies that can properly handle a Metroid game: Retro and Nintendo (really one company, but two divisions within it). I don't even think Wayforward could make a good Metroid game. Their track record has been slightly above decent.

Even still, if they made a Metroid game I would hope that they do one of two things: set it after Fusion and further explore the powers of the Fusion suit or do what they did to Castlevania and re-imagine the series from scratch. In that second scenario I don't necessarily mean reboot the whole thing, but go for an alternate style while telling the same story in a new way. Kind of like the various comic book heroes get.

The original Shantae and it's sequel (both are Metroidvanias) are absolutely awesome. Plus they revitalized Contra and Boy and his Blob and have an excellent relationship with Nintendo. They can make a Metroid game.

Lords of Shadow is one of least favorite games this gen, I'd put it somewhere between LA Noire and Borderlands. I'm not hearing much glowing about the 3DS game either, so I think I'd pass.

Maybe let Inti Creates have a crack at it, if they aren't too busy making Gal Gun 2.

Ridley327

Wayforward should get it rather than MS or TN.

My issue with Wayforward is that while they tend to have the structure down pretty well, I've never considered them to be particularly great when it comes down to the gameplay for platformers, and Metroid definitely needs a developer with a strong platformer background. R&D1 (or SPD1, or whatever they're called these days) can still do it if they tried, but Sakamoto just needs to cull the weaknesses from Fusion and Other M, rather than put them at the forefront. Keep the story-heavy games to the franchises that need it, rather than clumsily forcing them onto them.

rjc571

Banned
Ugh, that would be awful. Their inability to optimize their graphics engines to run at even remotely stable framerates would absolutely destroy the fluidity of Metroid.

That's some major hyperbole. I didn't care for the narrative either, so I simply focused my attention elsewhere whenever a cutscene started. As a result, the cutscenes didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game at all. The only things that brought it down were the parts where you had to walk slow for no reason and the parts where you were stuck in first person and had to point at the right part of the screen to advance, but those parts were rare enough that they didn't ruin the entire game.

A case could be made about the original Rondo port being bad, but the port of SOTN? Really?
It was buggy as hell (I managed to keep my Alucard equipment at the start of the game by simply backdashing out of Death's room when he started talking), and the new localization was just as poorly written as the old one but didn't contain any of the charm.

Few things:

1. Can't be worst than Other M...can it? Doubt it.
2. Mercury Steam proved me wrong after Jericho. I was skeptical of Lords of Shadow and Mirror of Fate. Both LoS and MoF are pretty awesome. Looking forward to LoS2. Gives me confidence that they'd do a great job with Metroid.
3. But it's Metroid, blah blah, needs to be like Prime, something something, needs to be like Super Metroid. That's my only worry. But to be fair, I always worry whenever someone takes on Metroid. Was worried with Retro. They delivered big time. Was worried with Team Ninja. They didn't deliver (even though I still enjoyed Other M). I'll once again worry if Mercury Steam tried Metroid.

But I'm willing to give Mercury Steam a chance. Another concern is the combat. It's different from Castlevania. So I'll hold all my feelings if or until this actually happens.

Either way, we need a Metroid game for the 3DS. I feel more confident with Mercury Steam than Team Ninja that's for sure.

Ridley327

It was buggy as hell (I managed to keep my Alucard equipment at the start of the game by simply backdashing out of Death's room when he started talking), and the new localization was just as poorly written as the old one but didn't contain any of the charm.

To be fair, a variation of that bug is in the original game; it's a bit more involved than simply backdashing, but you can still get through that room with the Alucard set intact.

From Software on performance? Excuse me but did you played Armored Core V and the same Dark Souls (non PC version) I played?

I missed some parts in my post, I meant to say that from a level design perspective I'd only trust Retro or From to make a good Metroid game. I'm aware of the performance issues From games have so I guess that only leaves Retro :p

Top Bottom