• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam library permanence and sale buyers remorse.

Just curious if anyone else ever experiences this nagging sensation.

Steam sales have instilled the unfortunate tendency in me to buy games even if I don't like them. Almost as a completion sort of thing. I don't quite get it, because a lot of these games I wouldn't buy used for the same price. But I seem to click "buy" really easily with Steam.

It turns out some of these games I really don't like, either. As in, to the point of disliking the game. And having it in my library is just a sore reminder that I wasted money on a game I dislike and don't enjoy in my library beside games I do like.

And the problem with that, is that you can't really do much. You can contact Valve and ask them to remove it, but apparently they're hesitant to do so. Also, there's also the "Steam category" thing, where you can hide certain categories. But having a category for "bad games" doesn't really make one feel much better.

With physical media, if I don't like a game, I can sell it or throw it away or something. Not so much true with Steam games.

Does anyone else feel similarly and have the experience that there are games in their library that you feel are annoying that they're there? And that you wish you could quarantine them to some spot that isn't on your library and would have to be reactivated on your profile or something?

Forkball

Buying games is its own meta game.

Think of it as an investment to your future child's game collection he will inherit after you die.

Keasar

There is a huge amount of games I have gotten through bundles that I wasnt really interested in playing and many bundles that I bought just for the sake of donating money. So some way of sorting your library and "archive" titles you dont want visible in the main selection would be nice.

Haunted

Uninstall those games and only show "installed" in your library. Done.

Of course that's only fighting the symptom instead of the disease, but you know. No one can help you overcome that impulse to purchase games you might not like but yourself. :p

I suppose y'all have the luck of not having a Steam game in your library that you actively dislike.

I wish I could say that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Not really but then again I am extremely stingy about the games I buy even if they are dirt cheap (Far Cry 2 was 2.50 but I didn't touch it because I knew I wouldn't play it for more than an hour), but you do remind me why when I buy console games I absolutely avoid digital distribution if I can. You trade value for convenience when it isn't truly necessary, and that has always made me uncomfortable.

water1111

Banned
If I buy a game on steam (good or bad), I'll finish it, no matter what, who knows, it might be enjoyable at the end.

StuBurns

Banned
They're normally so cheap I don't really care. It actually irritates me more than I can't remove them from my library than I bought them. If you buy a terrible film by mistake, you don't have it on your shelf with the good shit, I'd like to hide my Steam shame too.

knitoe

Steam sales makes me feel like a little girl. Hunting for deals, buying them, put them away and never touch them again.

I suppose y'all have the luck of not having a Steam game in your library that you actively dislike.

I wish I could say that.

Self(impulse) control. Learn how to exercise it.

I did after 4(!) Steam Sales when I realised I've only ever played 20% of the games I ever bought on the service.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

I wish I could say that.

I'm not sure. My backlog is so huge there's plenty of games I may not like in my library that I haven't got to yet. I clearly haven't learned my lesson yet, though.

Anyway, I feel for you, but I think that the games should not be removed, and instead sit there as a reminder to not buy rubbish because it's cheap!

Xanathus

I only buy digital games if I am comfortable with the price knowing that I'm just getting a revokable license to play that game. Steam can disable your entire library and declare bankruptcy at anytime (to use an extreme example) and there's nothing you can practically do about it.

The only Steam games I dislike are the ones my "friends" got me for christmas/birthdays. I'm looking at you, Duke Nukem Forever.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Steam Sales don't stop me from looking up gameplay or review videos. If you buy blind, of course you run the risk of disappointment.

I've only found Steam sales annoying because I bought packs which contained games I couldn't play due to system requirements. Fortunately in about a week that'll change at last.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Oh, no, I have games that I actively dislike (hello, Fable 3!), but I don't mind their presence. Steam games are like Pokemon...

Acorn

Buying games is its own meta game.

Think of it as an investment to your future child's game collection he will inherit after you die.

I doubt they would allow a virtual inheritance since they're licenses. Sorry, I know you were joking, just thinking out loud about the lack of consumer laws we have.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I sympathise. I'm playing through all my Steam games at the moment (nearly done BTW!) and some real stinkers have made their way to my library without me being fully aware of it. I do have a category to put games I can't be bothered to complete in, though, so I don't get reminded of it every time the library is open.

Hey, at least I don't own Bad Rats!

About 150 things in my 450 strong library are shit. I tried emailing Steam support to get them removed, but they only remove games which weren't purchased as part of a bundle (which is the case for about 90% of my library). But the worst part isn't that i'm stuck with them - the worst part is that people will now look at my profile and think "look at all those games, this man must obviously live in his parents basement, and he owns Flora's Fruit Farm".

SumGamer

Not really. It help speeding up purchasing decision on the game I'm interested in tho. I did buy some game that I never get around to play. However, if I go through the list then I will want to play them at some stage.

No, but I wish there was a way I could "hide" games from my list so they wouldn't show up at all.

You could favorite some games to push it to the top and hide the rest.

LiK

Personally, I don't regret having any "bad" games in my list. I rarely look at them anyway. But yea, it would be nice if Steam allowed you to select which games to make visible. Seems like a no-brainer.

But then again, Steam hasn't allowed me to disable Group Event alerts either after all these years.

Killzig

About 150 things in my 450 strong library are shit. I tried emailing Steam support to get them removed, but they only remove games which weren't purchased as part of a bundle (which is the case for about 90% of my library). But the worst part isn't that i'm stuck with them - the worst part is that people will now look at my profile and think "look at all those games, this man must obviously live in his parents basement, and he owns Flora's Fruit Farm".
This reminds me of that Henry Rollins spoken word bit about being recognized at a thai midget boxing match. What kind of people actively scrutinize someone else's steam games list? Chances are they've got something equally embarrassing on their list. Lord knows I do.

surly

Banned
I haven't felt buyer's remorse over any games I've bought in Steam sales, probably because they're so cheap. But I still recognise that I've wasted money though and so now I'm more selective over what I buy. I used to have an attitude of "well, it's dirt cheap and I'll probably play this at some point so I might as well get it while it's on sale", but I know from experience - and from threads on various forums where people post their percentage of unplayed Steam games - that that attitude only leads to money being wasted and games sitting on my hard drive unplayed.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I'll always have to deal with the fact that I bought two copies of L.A. Noire on Steam. And I do worry about some of the older games I have, which are only going to get more dated as time goes on. And it's not like I played them in the past and have built-in nostalgia for them, they're just older games I thought I should play.

I use the favorites flag and the category flags to organize my games basically into 3 groups, games I haven't played but plan to, games that I go back to often and then the large group of everything. It's a system that works well for me and it lets me see my realistic backlog and my go to games and filters out those games that I'm pretty sure I'll never play or go back to. I don't really feel buyers remorse for any game I've payed $5 to 10 for, even if I only play for an hour or 2, I feel like the price was worth the chance to try something out. However, for those games that I've spent significantly more for, I have a few that I regret.

szaromir

Banned
This is a gaming forum.
Can we add this phrase to the shit pile already? It's completely reductive, not at all contributive and essentially no different to "Who cares?"
But in this case, I don't think anyone cares what you have in your Steam library. I don't think anyone browses their firends' libraries and comments 'omg he has such terrible games' or whatever. I only look at them to see what they actually play. That's why I think dramatising over having some bad games seems overblown to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd try again. A few GAFers contacted Steam Support last year to remove some games and were informed that while bundled games would be removed, it would also affect the other games included in the bundles.

But in this case, I don't think anyone cares what you have in your Steam library. I don't think anyone browses their firends' libraries and comments 'omg he has such terrible games' or whatever. I only look at them to see what they actually play. That's why I think dramatising over having some bad games seems overblown to me.

See, you could have just posted this in the first place. ;)

Edit: I'd also like to clarify that I wasn't asking for your post to be made an example.

Omikaru

Most games I have which I'll never play are surplus from good value bundles. I try to at least play every game I made a decision to consciously purchase, even if I don't finish said game.

I don't care about any of them, though. The only games I ever have visible in my library are ones I've installed, so if I don't want a game I never see it.

Top Bottom