• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam library permanence and sale buyers remorse.

At some point for me and a lot of others it has become a factor if diminishing returns.

We own most of the best games that often get discounted.

I like having bad and even downright terrible games in both my digital and physical collections.

Reminds me how good the good games are.

def sim

No, not at all. I like that I'll get to try almost every game if it's released on PC because of low prices. Bad or good, I'll eventually know first hand.

tjohn86

I wish there was a way to hide some games. Maybe even relinquish the license?

I've piled up some real crap through bundles.

Grief.exe

I don't have buyers remorse, I've been following a set of rules for game purchases and haven't had any issues.

• I generally only buy games that could be considered GOTY.

I have a limited amount of time for games, so I've decided not to waste them on merely decent ones anymore.
For example, games like RAGE or Max Payne 3. These games are considered good, but there are arguably much better games available.

• I don't buy games just because they are cheap anymore.

If I see a cheap game or bundle, I won't just automatically buy it because its cheap.

Unless I am planning on playing that within the next week, I can easily pass. The game will be available again later, maybe even cheaper.

• I do extensive research before I buy new games.

This is probably the largest area of buyers remorse.

You see a new game for a decent price, there is hype going around, but doing a little research into the development of the game or getting into the beta can save you a lot of buyer's remorse down the line.

I've skipped on huge blunders like Aliens, Diablo 3, SimCity, The Old Republic because of a little research or playing the betas.

Even with all of these rules, I still have Buyer's Remorse. I am now stuck with both Skyrim and Borderlands 2 in my library, and both games bore me to tears.
Skyrims combat is clunky and repetitive, and the RPG systems have been dumbed down to the point its hard to even call it an RPG.
Borderlands 2 is just flat boring.

Johnny

They should let you forfeit a game, and when you do, it shows up in a random Steam users library.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to sell my licenses, but this would be a good start. I've got some horrible, horrible games in my library that someone out there may enjoy.

SeriousApes

I just put the games I like into favorites. Does it really matter what games show up on your profile? When a game shows up as 0.3 hours played, I think people would understand that you don't care for it. Some of the games I've bought from indie bundles are categorized into a Junk folder.

gabbo

I've never understood the people who can't control their spending just because something is on sale. Why buy something you have no interest in just because it's cheaper than normal?

Exactly. Yes I have a backlog (mostly of unfinished, not untouched games), but I don't lose my mind during sales simply because every game is cheaper. I don't need every game.

And of the games I've bought on steam, only Alien vs Predator 2010 and APB do I regret.

If I could return their respective keys to their respective publisher/Steam and they be gone from my list, for a pittance (or nothing at all at this point), I'd be fine with it.

DocSeuss

The only games I regret buying (off the top of my head) are Amnesia, Mirror's Edge, and Tom Clancy's Speak n' Strategy.

The latter two I purchased day one. Yes, I had money to spend at the time, but neither was worth $50.

Everything else has been a worthwhile learning experience. That id bundle was a bit of a disappointment at $35 (and they added Quake IV to it later, but I didn't get that :\).

Salsa

love the wall of games

this is how I feel when im done playing:

The_Wall.jpg

Lord Phol

I'm suprised, I thought alot of gaffers were steamsale addicts like myself and the OP. The more you know. Anyways I'm pretty much in the same situation, I just bought some cheap decks for Magic the Gathering 2013 even though I'll just end up playing the 2012 edition. Got plenty of games in my library I just wish I could get rid of, give away permanently if possible or just delete.

I wish there was a way to hide some games. Maybe even relinquish the license?

I've piled up some real crap through bundles.

Put your games in categories, like genres (shooter, adventure, rpg, etc). Create a "finished' category. Maybe name the group "0finished" so it goes to the top. Put games that you finish playing (not beat, mind you, just "done with playing either forever or a long time)" in it and uninstall them. Filter by installed games. The "finished" group label won't even show up.

Not only is your list cleaner but you get a vague sense of satisfaction of a huge "finished" list before you collapse it whenever you go to install a game.

barugon

Most Steam sale games are cheap enough that I don't regret them, even if they're crap. I'll just categorize them under ZZZ so they go down to the bottom and I never have to see them again. The few that I do regret are the ones I jumped the gun and overpaid for (Dungeon Siege III comes to mind).

Papytendo

I don't have too much Steam buyer's remorse, the only remorse I do have is from buying too many indie bundles and getting all these indies games which aren't my cup of tea.

Self(impulse) control. Learn how to exercise it.

I did after 4(!) Steam Sales when I realised I've only ever played 20% of the games I ever bought on the service.
Perhaps I should abandon PC gaming for a while, then. And maybe focus on handheld gaming. At least handhelds have more games I care about and I don't feel pressured to buy a game I dislike just because it is cheap.

There are games on my library I actually dislike enough that I'm still tempted to have them deleted. Or even just create an extra Steam account in which to only buy games I truly care about on. I kind of wish I could trade games I have already bought. Valve should consider DD resale.

Also, categories and favourites just aren't good enough. I don't like these games showing up somewhere every time I click library, period. I can make a category for "crap games", but that doesn't essentially stop me from having it there. I wanted the things blacklisted, out of sight, out of mind, and not associated with my account at all.

Again, this isn't games I'm mildly interested in, but games I actively despise. I don't want to be reminded that I bought them whatsoever.
To me, my large library is like having my own museum where I can touch all the items.
But would you want to have mammoth dung in your museum?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm amazed by the fact that some people are actively offended by someone wanting to remove a game from their account. And then they act all high and mighty because they have "self (impulse) control" or they are able to "uninstall the game and forget about".

Wow. People do get angry for anything.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm amazed by the fact that some people are actively offended by someone wanting to remove a game from their account. And then they act all high and mighty because they have "self (impulse) control" or they are able to "uninstall the game and forget about".

Wow. People do get angry for anything.

Prepare for people getting angry that you bumped a 2 year old thread instead of posting in the active thread about this very topic, where the exact same sentiments have been repeated.

EDIT: Haha, see?

Top Bottom