• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is CP2077 on Steam Deck good?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Playing CP2077 right now on PS5. Don't have PL, but want to buy it.

Got the Steam Deck.

CP2077 is on sale on PC, 51€ with PL.

I can move my progression from PS5 to PC, although I heard you cannot do the same the other way around.

Really tempted to continue playing on SD, 30FPS.

Will it look like shit? Will my SD sound like a plane taking off?

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

Got the Steam Deck.

I can move my progression from PS5 to PC, although I heard you cannot do the same the other way around.

Satya says:

It’s great that you’re enjoying Cyberpunk 2077! Let’s break down the differences between the PS5 and PC versions to help you decide:

1. Graphics and Performance:
    • PS5: The PS5 version of Cyberpunk 2077 benefits from the console’s technical power, offering improved performance compared to the base PS4 version. However, it may not match the PC experience.
    • PC: On a powerful PC, Cyberpunk 2077 shines. You’ll have better graphics, higher frame rates, and the ability to use mods. The game looks and feels different when maxed out on PC.
  2. Frame Rate and Visuals:
    • PS5: The PS5 version runs at a stable 30 FPS, with ray tracing applied only to shadows.
    • PC: A high-end PC can achieve much higher frame rates and fully utilize ray tracing (reflections, lighting, shadows, etc.). The game looks stunning on a well-equipped PC.
  3. DualSense Controller:
    • PS5: The DualSense controller enhances the experience with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. If you enjoy these features, the PS5 version might be more appealing.
  4. Progression Transfer:
    • You mentioned you can transfer your progression from PS5 to PC. Keep in mind that this isn’t possible the other way around.
  5. Steam Deck Considerations:
    • The Steam Deck’s performance might be limited due to its hardware. While you can play Cyberpunk 2077 on it, expect lower frame rates (around 30 FPS).
    • Graphics quality will depend on the Steam Deck’s capabilities, but it won’t match a high-end PC.
  6. Noise Level:
    • The Steam Deck’s fan noise can vary. Some users report it being quiet, while others find it louder. It won’t sound like a plane taking off, but it’s essential to manage expectations.
In summary, if you have a powerful PC, the PC version offers the best experience. If you prefer the DualSense features and don’t mind 30 FPS, the PS5 version is solid. As for the Steam Deck, expect compromises in performance and graphics. Ultimately, choose based on your priorities and hardware! 🎮👾123

welshrat

Got the Steam Deck.

any reason not to remote play on your deck ? you will get 60fps and it looks amazing.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
any reason not to remote play on your deck ? you will get 60fps and it looks amazing.
I tried it and it looks really good, I don't know - I have small kids and when I put down the SD I don't know if I will be able to continue. Do you know if there is a way to make Chiaki4Deck put PS5 in rest mode the moment I put SD to sleep?

welshrat

I tried it and it looks really good, I don't know - I have small kids and when I put down the SD I don't know if I will be able to continue. Do you know if there is a way to make Chiaki4Deck put PS5 in rest mode the moment I put SD to sleep?
Not sure, however you can configure the buttons to just bring up the PS menu and manually do it yourself.

ljubomir

I've been in the same boat. Started on PS5 then moved to OLED Deck after 10h or so. No regrets. Sure looks worse, and its only 30 FPS but it enabled me to play it much more often than I could have on just PS5. Have around 100h on Deck. Actually it played better than on ROG Ally, one of the reasons I've sold it :D.

But I'm not sensitive to shit graphics. Gameplay, story and artstyle get me along way.

Last edited:
Yes, it is worth it. I played between Steam Deck and PC. Cyberpunk is actually great on Deck, I capped the screen refresh rate at 45hz and played with the settings to try and get to 45fps. In some areas it was definitely achievable but you'd be better either dropping settings and locking the screen to 40hz or just playing at 30fps with higher settings.

One thing to note is that the expansion is definitely more resource heavy, but can still achieve 30fps without an issue.

All in all though, yes it's definitely worth it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Best way to describe it is that it’s like the Switch version of Witcher 3
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
it’s times like these when a PS Portal sounds amazing to own. I want to get one and I have a Deck and a bunch of handhelds.

Satya says:

It’s great that you’re enjoying Cyberpunk 2077! Let’s break down the differences between the PS5 and PC versions to help you decide:

• PS5: The PS5 version of Cyberpunk 2077 benefits from the console’s technical power, offering improved performance compared to the base PS4 version. However, it may not match the PC experience.
    • PC: On a powerful PC, Cyberpunk 2077 shines. You’ll have better graphics, higher frame rates, and the ability to use mods. The game looks and feels different when maxed out on PC.
    • PS5: The PS5 version runs at a stable 30 FPS, with ray tracing applied only to shadows.
    • PC: A high-end PC can achieve much higher frame rates and fully utilize ray tracing (reflections, lighting, shadows, etc.). The game looks stunning on a well-equipped PC.
  3. DualSense Controller:
    • PS5: The DualSense controller enhances the experience with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. If you enjoy these features, the PS5 version might be more appealing.
  4. Progression Transfer:
    • You mentioned you can transfer your progression from PS5 to PC. Keep in mind that this isn’t possible the other way around.
    • The Steam Deck’s performance might be limited due to its hardware. While you can play Cyberpunk 2077 on it, expect lower frame rates (around 30 FPS).
    • Graphics quality will depend on the Steam Deck’s capabilities, but it won’t match a high-end PC.
  6. Noise Level:
    • The Steam Deck’s fan noise can vary. Some users report it being quiet, while others find it louder. It won’t sound like a plane taking off, but it’s essential to manage expectations.
In summary, if you have a powerful PC, the PC version offers the best experience. If you prefer the DualSense features and don’t mind 30 FPS, the PS5 version is solid. As for the Steam Deck, expect compromises in performance and graphics. Ultimately, choose based on your priorities and hardware! 🎮👾123
What does any of this have to do with Steam Deck? The answer is no, it probably runs like shit and also looks like shit.

What does any of this have to do with Steam Deck? The answer is no, it probably runs like shit and also looks like shit.
Except it doesn't run like shit whilst looking like shit. You buy a Steam Deck and you set the right expectations, no it doesn't look as good as PS5 or PC, but that isn't what the system was built for.

Cyberpunk on Deck runs and plays better than it has any right to really. Runs at native resolution at 30fps with a good mix of medium and high settings. That in my opinion is outstanding for a handheld device.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
TBH having a deck negates the need for Portal, just install Chiaki4Deck.
Interesting. I haven’t messed around with that. I still use remote play on my phone from time to time. My biggest concern with unofficial software is the link it needs for your PSN account. I have MFA enabled on my PSN account for obvious reasons. The streaming app I looked at wanted the URL of the sign in and I thought you had to disable MFA to get it working.

Griffon

Satya says:

3. DualSense Controller:
  4. Progression Transfer:
  6. Noise Level:
Jim Carrey What GIF

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Interesting. I haven’t messed around with that. I still use remote play on my phone from time to time. My biggest concern with unofficial software is the link it needs for your PSN account. I have MFA enabled on my PSN account for obvious reasons. The streaming app I looked at wanted the URL of the sign in and I thought you had to disable MFA to get it working.
Chiaki needs only your PSN ID (not login or password), you can look it up online. I never had to validate anything on my PS5.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I've been in the same boat. Started on PS5 then moved to OLED Deck after 10h or so. No regrets. Sure looks worse, and its only 30 FPS but it enabled me to play it much more often than I could have on just PS5. Have around 100h on Deck. Actually it played better than on ROG Ally, one of the reasons I've sold it :D.

But I'm not sensitive to shit graphics. Gameplay, story and artstyle get me along way.
Why didn’t you stream to your SD instead?

Kupfer

You can set the timer for rest mode on PS5 on 20 minutes.

Last edited:
That's an exaggeration lol. It's not the Switch Witcher. At 30fps it looks pretty amazing, lots of settings on high, etc.
it's not 60fps on PC, and it's not 30fps fidelity on PS5, but it's pretty good.
No idea on this guys settings and didn't watch long, but a good view, specifically his 30fps high

Last edited:

ljubomir

Why didn’t you stream to your SD instead?
Tried it a couple of times with Horizon, wasnt really smooth and couldnt bother with debugging the wifi. Natively always works, battery life on OLED was solid enough, and it freed up the PS5 for other household members.

Im not against streaming though. Couple of years ago I finished Blood & Wine by streaming it via Steam from my PC to GPD Win 1, of all things. Worked like magic. :D

Except it doesn't run like shit whilst looking like shit. You buy a Steam Deck and you set the right expectations, no it doesn't look as good as PS5 or PC, but that isn't what the system was built for.

Cyberpunk on Deck runs and plays better than it has any right to really. Runs at native resolution at 30fps with a good mix of medium and high settings. That in my opinion is outstanding for a handheld device.
While it's playable and smooth, it still looks like shit. I would say it runs at Low to Medium. But still great for the device, I don't disagree there.

While it's playable and smooth, it still looks like shit. I would say it runs at Low to Medium. But still great for the device, I don't disagree there.

I don’t run with low and medium, more like mostly high with shadows medium? And it doesn’t look like shit at all?

Going for more than 30 will likely look like shit.

Last edited:
It looks and runs well on Deck, but I'm personally reluctant to play it that way simply because it's just not a game meant for a smaller screen.
I find it to be the biggest roadbump with Deck, it's not about what it CAN play, because it can play almost any game out there.
But rather which of these big dick 4K AAA games are actually enjoyable on an 800p panel.
I found both CP2077 and BG3 to not be it, where as FF7 remake and Elden Ring play like a dream on it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

It looks like it will run respectfully as long as you put a 30 FPS lock and max everything to get as close to the target frame rate.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
it’s times like these when a PS Portal sounds amazing to own. I want to get one and I have a Deck and a bunch of handhelds.

If you have an oled deck and chaiki, despite not having dual sense controls, it's still the better experience. Far less blurring and superior color/contrast. Not that I dislike the portal, I think it's pretty good.

Oppoi

If you have an oled deck and chaiki, despite not having dual sense controls, it's still the better experience. Far less blurring and superior color/contrast. Not that I dislike the portal, I think it's pretty good.
Gee dude don't let the rumor of MS buying Valve go to your head now.

Get a Portal imo. I switch in-between my Portal and SD. I use my Portal for PS5/PS4 games and my SD for steam, epic, gamepass.
There's benefits to both and worth having both imo. (yes I know you can play PS games on SD, but it's not the same)

kubricks

It's serviceable but definitely not optimal at all, a first person shooter of sort at 30fps with uneven framing pacing is just iffy.
Do it if only you have no other choice.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Go with streaming the ps5 version to deck.

Or buy a gaming pc and stream it to deck or hook it up to your TV.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gee dude don't let the rumor of MS buying Valve go to your head now.

Becuase I use my OLED steam deck to play both PS5 and Xbox games via streaming? That's a stretch.
Love the thing to death, regardless of who own steam.

yamaci17

That's an exaggeration lol. It's not the Switch Witcher. At 30fps it looks pretty amazing, lots of settings on high, etc.
it's not 60fps on PC, and it's not 30fps fidelity on PS5, but it's pretty good.
No idea on this guys settings and didn't watch long, but a good view, specifically his 30fps high

yeah switch witcher comparison is not fair, a crucial reason why most switch ports turn to potato graphics is mainly because of memory and bandwidth limitations

steam deck has enough memory to cover cyberpunk's requirements for decent textures, and bandwidth isn't all that bad. but as long as you have textures at medium/high, the game will look decent. also cyberpunk is a game that looks great on low/med mixed settings as long as your textures are at high

I mean you cannot get witcher 3 (old gen) on PC to look like its Switch version unless you mod it. even at its lowest settings, it still looked great for its time. switch got special treatment because it simply lacks the memory the game needs as a whole

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Chiaki needs only your PSN ID (not login or password), you can look it up online. I never had to validate anything on my PS5.

Just did this on my Deck. WOW. 😮 this is a game changer. Thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom