• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre GDC Survey: Platforms for Next Game Development (last 2 year results combined)

artist

Banned
While the article itself is the usual mobile threat to consoles .. I found this survey results interesting.

screen-shot-2013-03-2pse82.png

edit:

It's combining/averaging stats from this year and last year, according to the article. As such it doesn't reflect the landscape today.

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20130325/a-lo...soles-in-fight-for-game-developers-attention/

Dat 720 %, makes me believe it's launching earlier than we expect(ed).

Makes me happy as a PC and current gen console owner but man those web and mobile % are high. I miss the days before those were so mainstream regardless of the few gems that come of it.

iceatcs

"Upcoming PlayStation Home Console"...

How old is this survey? They didn't even know the name of PS4.

About a year. I'm sure it is the survey when you want to register the ticket for GDC.

[edit] Ah 2 years combined.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Upcoming PlayStation Home Console"...

How old is this survey? They didn't even know the name of PS4.

It's combining/averaging stats from this year and last year, according to the article. As such it doesn't reflect the landscape today. Might be helpful for the OP to clarify that since the chart doesn't.

I think it's worth bearing in mind with stuff like this, on the mobile vs console debate, that the number of developers involved is probably a lot higher than it was 'pre-iphone'. It's not necessarily a zero sum situation. Googling around suggests the number of GDC attendees has almost doubled between 2006 and last year, for example.

The thing is this takes into account every grandpa, mom, and college kid making mobile games, most of which will probably end up unsuccessful. The reason it is so large is because anyone can get into it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So many indies and iOS developers. Damn similar to the other surveys posted recently.

The U is barely over Vita, damn.

PC is this high because a lot of them are casual/facebook type of games.
Shouldn't 720/PS4 be a lot higher also since I would think launch games for this year would have been in development for a long time. Not really good news for anyone not Facebook/Google/Apple here as far as I can see.

artist

Banned
It's combining/averaging stats from this year and last year, according to the article. As such it doesn't reflect the landscape today. Might be helpful for the OP to clarify that since the chart doesn't.

I think it's worth bearing in mind with stuff like this, on the mobile vs console debate, that the number of developers involved is probably a lot higher than it was 'pre-iphone'. It's not necessarily a zero sum situation. Googling around suggests the number of GDC attendees has almost doubled between 2006 and last year, for example.
Done. And thank you based title change mod :)

Shouldn't 720/PS4 be a lot higher also since I would think launch games for this year would have been in development for a long time. Not really good news for anyone not Facebook/Google/Apple here as far as I can see.

If one were to somehow exclude all casual/iOS/bite-sized type of games from this chart I bet the 10-12% the next-gen consoles have is pretty high, same with 360/PS3. The chart is skewed due to it taking into account everything, from $1 to $60.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, most of the industry goes nowhere near GDC given how ridiculously expensive it is to register for.

That's just the cost for entrance, so add on top the cost of travel and accommodation (say a nice room at the W a little down from the Moscone center) and you're looking at a something out of the reach of most overseas developers.

Meelow

Banned
Unbelievable how low the 3DS is.

Why do western developers not make games on the machine? Nintendo's fault?

If it was Nintendo's fault than they would of supported the PSP and Vita better.

Western devs don't like supporting handhelds like Japanese devs do.

Anyway the PS4 having 4% increase compared to Wii U is interesting, Xbox 720 seems to be getting the best support out of all three.

If one were to somehow exclude all casual/iOS/bite-sized type of games from this chart I bet the 10-12% the next-gen consoles have is pretty high, same with 360/PS3. The chart is skewed due to it taking into account everything, from $1 to $60.

Now that the OP has been updated it makes more sense since I doubt developers were allowed to talk about next gen games during last year's survey. Nintendo should be really concerned about these numbers regardless.

Burt

What's the crowd demographics at GDC? I could see it being a lot more indies and smaller studios than big publisher Ubisoft/EA employees, which would make a lot of sense with this chart.

Cipherr

western developers just aren't interested in dedicated handhelds, they want smartphones and tablets.

It really is interesting how that works. I mean, even the stigma surrounding handheld gaming is weird here. I have seen people say they wouldn't want to be seen playing a dedicated gaming handheld game in public as an adult; only later to wax poetic about getting to the next level of Angry Birds on the bus stop the very next day.

eot

Banned
The thing is this takes into account every grandpa, mom, and college kid making mobile games, most of which will probably end up unsuccessful. The reason it is so large is because anyone can get into it.

It's people going to GDC, which isn't cheap. Most college kids making iOS in their spare time aren't going to GDC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's people going to GDC, which isn't cheap. Most college kids making iOS in their spare time aren't going to GDC.

Still, as I mentioned earlier, GDC attendance has almost doubled since 2006.

I would say it's a fair guess that a lot of the growth in game development the last 5+ years has been in mobile and social. Bedroom kids may not be going to GDC, but there's lot of office professionals working in 'big companies' on mobile etc., and I'm sure they are.

It really is interesting how that works. I mean, even the stigma surrounding handheld gaming is weird here. I have seen people say they wouldn't want to be seen playing a dedicated gaming handheld game in public as an adult; only later to wax poetic about getting to the next level of Angry Birds on the bus stop the very next day.
It's just a cultural things. I don't know about other western countries but adults in the US are very self conscious about being seen in public playing with perceived toys. I think that Nintendo should have picked up on this a long time ago and redesigned the 3DS to look more smartphone-ish but either they're ignoring this cultural difference or they just don't care.

Cartman86

Banned

I'm one of those people who doesn't like bringing my Vita or 3DS out in public. It's weird I know. That being said I don't play mobile games in public either. Not because of a stigma or irrational reason on my part. Just not into em enough to play them outside of the first time I download them which is usually at home.

Top Bottom