• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter by Larian Studios [Complete, ~$1 million funded]

Durante

I think this one deserves a "real" kickstarter thread. Larian, one of the last independent mid-tier PC development houses is seeking funding for their RPG Divinity: Original Sin. They have a lot more to show than most kickstarter projects, so head over to the KS page! There's also the game homepage if you want even more information.

Mission Statement:
Picture a modern version of a world not unlike that of Ultima VII, that can be explored either alone or with a friend, that sees you engage adversaries in tactical turn-based combat reminiscent of the great turn-based RPGs of the past. A world that is filled to the brim with choice and consequence situations, reactive NPCs, and a considerable amount of surprises. A world that captures the feeling of playing pen and paper RPGs with our friends. Then add the new stuff...

Bullet points:
  • Divinity:Original Sin is an Isometric cRPG.
  • You can play in single player mode but also in cooperative multiplayer mode
  • It's a real epic CRPG so even in multiplayer, you're engaging in much more than just combat and item fever. A nifty cooperative dialog system, a highly reactive world, a deep character development system and plenty of choice and consequence situations see to that.
  • You can create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
  • Combat is very tactical. It is turn-based and features things like skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more.
  • Exploration is greatly rewarded.
  • You can develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system.
  • There are countless item interactions and item combinations waiting to be discovered.
  • No Divinity game is complete without music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky.

Important tiers:
  • $25 (limited) for the game
  • $65 for a boxed copy
  • $65 (limited) for the game x2, soundtrack and Divinity: Dragon Commander

Stretch goals:
18a58b8a67076144080d8f8492f96267_large.jpg

Kicktraq:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
D:OS looks like it's going to be fantastic.I really like how the dialogue/choices are genuinely tailored around co-op and how each players stats influences the choices that can be made.

Durante

They just released their first update, together with a video showing off the editor. They recreate the Butcher quest, which they lovingly call "the most stupid quest we have in our game".

Saw this earlier today and jumped on it. Looks fantastic. And not that I'll be able to use but looking forward to seeing some of the things people create with the editor.

smr00

Banned
Backed.

Fucking love these kind of games. Also, Bucket as a helmet? Carve a Pumpkin and wear it as a helmet? Ah-mazing.

I would fund this in a heartbeat if there are other sources, I cannot stand Kickstarter now.
Why not back it? Is it over recent "scams"? I just ignore all that jibber jabber and back things i know i will love. Can't let a few shady dealings tarnish the entire thing.

Zeliard

Loved Divine Divinity, and I've been looking forward to this one. Seems like they've created a fantastic RPG sandbox to play in.

Midou

In for $40 for 2 copies, looks pretty awesome. Didn't even know about this, I only heard about the game being in development, didn't even know the KS didn't happen before.

Llyranor

I pledge 40 for a doublepack for now. Ultima-7 inspired world, online co-op, turn-based. It's ticking all my checkboxes.

Durante

Going by the number of people even here on GAF that hadn't heard about this kickstarter, it seems like there's still some potential left. At least I'd like to think so.

Hrothgar

Not many gaming sites have mentioned it yet. It might have not been a very good decision to launch this just before Easter.

Screw it, backed. My last Kickstarter though. I'm just a sucker for classic RPGs.

The seventh (!) game I've backed so I'm officially declaring Kickstarter fatigue.

So between 2013 and 2014 we're looking at(probably forgetting stuff):

Shadowrun
Wasteland 2
Divinity
Project Eternity
Witcher 3
Torment: Tides of Numenera

epmode

I'm surprised to see this on Kickstarter, what with Larian self-publishing their own games. But I was going to buy it anyway so fuck it, I'm in.

SuomiDude

The video I watched showed very similar object interaction and looting as Ultima VII, but the game world looked very linear, which is nothing like Ultima VII. I hope this game actually has truly open world to explore like it says it should have, not a linear path you follow like in the video.

I'm in for a digital copy.

Larian are a good team and I really loved Divinity II. This is a little different of course, but I'm sure it'll have their trademark feel and sense of humour.

Eusis

Pitched in for now, but before it ends I plan to play some Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 to see how much I REALLY want this. I mainly just like the idea of a more modern Ultima VII-esque game, since that's a bit hard for me to gt into now (probably just need to sit down and stick with it for a few hours.)

I'm pledging for this as soon as the frigging plane lands, have to move money to my prepaid card from my bank account.
Loved divinity1, liked 2, enjoyed a LOT ego draconis, but if they manage the ultima 7 vibe..... I'm in for the 25$ allrite!

Zukuu

Banned
Pitched in for now, but before it ends I plan to play some Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 to see how much I REALLY want this. I mainly just like the idea of a more modern Ultima VII-esque game, since that's a bit hard for me to gt into now (probably just need to sit down and stick with it for a few hours.)

Divinity 2 is more like Gothic, Two Worlds and the like. However, it has one of the best plot twists and endings ever imo!

ZoddGutts

Yeah I don't have faith in Shroud of the Avatar. Divinity: Original Sin on the other hand looks great. Anyways despite the lack of media coverage, the Kickstarter is doing well so far. It should reach 200k either today or tomorrow. Meeting half of it's funding goal in just 3 or 3 days, not bad.

I'm sure it will get pledged, but I'm really skeptical of the quality of it considering Larian's output. They're always on the edge of making a decent game, but none of their games have felt right in one way or another.

PFD

18043bbd2912c77df3130175ab615139_large.jpg

Built-in Instagram filters? Sold!

edit: I really like how they have a reasonable goal, and are not asking for something ridiculous like Garriott's RPG. This looks completely doable.

Dennis

Banned
I really wish this Kickstarter would take off in a major way.

Right now a few major RPG devs (Obsidian, inXile) are getting all the attention and money - deserved no doubt - but I would love to see it become a major source of funding for lots of classic style CRPGs from European developers as well.

We need to Kickstart some of that delicious Euro-jank!

Eusis

I can't decide between supporting this or Shroud of the Avatar. Any advice from fellow Ultima fans?
I'm a bit more optimistic about Shroud of the Avatar than most, and even I'm saying it's more of a wild card at best. It could turn out really good, but it sounds like they're overpromising and Richard Garriott hasn't been the most relevant designer in a long time. Maybe it'll end up working out, or he got a great staff together, but that's the one I'd wait on as it's already funded.

Plus this is a good chunk of the way done I believe, just funding to get a bit more in. You can very easily watch and read about this one and get a feel for how it's going to turn out, whereas Shroud of the Avatar requires more faith.

Divinity 2 is more like Gothic, Two Worlds and the like. However, it has one of the best plot twists and endings ever imo!
Noted, though I'm also thinking if I like that enough then I'll likely enjoy whatever else they put out that's not in an entirely different genre (so Commander's a gamble still, though it does sound neat.)

Sentenza

I'm a bit more optimistic about Shroud of the Avatar
Eh, the exact opposite for me.
I'm confident that even in the worst case scenario Original Sin will be at least a mildly enjoyable RPG, with good chances to be great.

Shroud of the Avatar instead strikes me as a disaster in the making, and even if I'm wrong I'm having a hard time imagining it anything more than mediocre.

Of course I'd like to be proven wrong and I would enjoy an epilogue where both games were instant classics.

Top Bottom