• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouken

The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

The Wii U uses hardware that's more or less as powerful as the current Xbox 360 or PS3. It's certainly still more powerful than your average mobile device. Epic has been unclear about the Wii U's support for UE4 in the past, with Epic co-founder Mark Rein telling Videogamer that Epic doesn't intend to bring the engine to Wii U, but that "if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could."

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

"Nothing controversial, guys," he jokingly chided.

Wii U is getting ignored left and right. :/

heh.png

Orayn

I was hopeful at one point, but the reveal of PS4's specs kinda snuffed out any likelihood of this happening.

Jackpot

Banned
If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

"Nothing controversial, guys," he jokingly chided.

Did anyone seriously think otherwise?

JordanN

Banned
Can't blame them.

Nintendo could have designed a console for third parties. Nintendo said no.

Now they reap the whirlwind.

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

Holy shit
KuGsj.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read all day, wow

This isn't the best of news. Oh well. Can't force support for the hardware unless there's a market for that support on that hardware. To say: if people with Wii U, including myself, want games that are made with this engine, we need to find a way to make that clear to Epic and Nintendo

Meelow

Banned
Remember this.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/unreal_engine_4_games_could_be_ported_to_wii_u_epic.html

We have Unreal Engine 3 running on Wii U," Rein told VideoGamer at Develop yesterday.

"You saw games at the Nintendo press conference again this year - a fantastic demo by our friends at Warner Bros. showing Arkham City running on Wii U. And Aliens: Colonial Marines is coming on Wii U, that's also Unreal. There's, I'm sure, several others. Mass Effect was announced for it as well. So we're certainly playing a role there with Unreal Engine 3.

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable.

"We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."

IceCold

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

Holy shit
KuGsj.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read all day, wow

It's sad how the industry sees Nintendo as a joke.

Mrbob

Rein *laughs*

Iwata *cries*

Damn, going back to around the launch of the wiiu a good amount of people here were so sure it would get a less powerful form of UE4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom