• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

I'd imagine UE4 is built based on the power of next-gen consoles. If so, I'm not sure why there'd be any surprise that it wouldn't work on a last-gen console (by "last-gen," I mean system power).

How the fuck is Vita finding footing? 2 and 3 year ports of indie games? No. It's just as bad of a position as Wii U.

I hate to admit it, but this is the truth.

Old ports of indie games is not gaining support. The system has to have decent first party games as well, even if they are obscure.

Personally I think Ubi/Acti are the only ones playing this next gen move well.
Lot of publishers just seem to be taking a lot of stuff for granted market wise.

My 2 cents.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, damn. "Hahaha, no."

Ouch.

Didn't Reign also say some developer would port UE3 to Wii?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
graphics is not everything, look at how many the Wii sold, more like PS3 + 360 combined I think

OK the Wii did outstanding (still doing so) sales wise from last generation, so hows the Wii U doing?

It's the successor to your claim about the Wii...

Go take a look and report back

Oh, so you're under the impression Luminous and Panta Rhei will be on Wii U?

They will not.

I think he was talking more about the perception of Nintendo than support for Nintendo. As in, western media and game companies view Nintendo as largely a joke, whereas Japanese companies and media still largely respect them.

NotLiquid

This has gone from being funny to just being damn depressing.

I can't even laugh at it anymore. Wii U is a fucking tragedy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eh, logic and prospects of great Nintendo titles + indies make me think Wii U will still be worthy at the end of the generation, but inside my heart a very little part sees things like these and think "Nintendo, scratch it and release the REAL console". I know it's illogical and stupid, but a reaction like this is sad and awesome at the same time. At least, they're doing AMAZING things for indies, and that's pretty great for the future Wii U environment.

Kimawolf

Eh it is a shame, but I suppose we'll have to see who has the last laugh. Nintendo puts out "weak" hardware, survives the crash, Epic puts out a engine that "only doubles developer costs!!" not quadruples it!" and developers rejoice!

Meanwhile... The bank prepares all those foreclosure notices as one by one these publishers/developers begin going out of business, following THQ all the way down the drain. It's pretty much writing on the wall at this point. It's like watching a bunch of people cruising along on the Titanic laughing at Nintendo as they abandoned ship.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo had to try really hard to duplicate the Wii's structural issues while losing all of the advantages and mindshare the Wii created.

But they did it!

YAY IWATA

burgerdog

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

Holy shit
KuGsj.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read all day, wow

Brutal, just brutal :O Ah well, this is something that we all should have seen coming after we knew the specs. The wii u is still a worth owning if you want Nintendo games, but other than that, there's not much else. /back to MH3U

TAS

You know what Im seriously wondering right now?

Does Nintendo seriously have the balls to take it out back and put a bullet in the head?

Like seriously, Or are they riding this sinking ship like a goddamn honorable captain should?

Nintendo has invested years and hundreds of millions of dollars on Wii U. They are not bailing out period.

orioto

Good Art™
It was pretty obvious since the start that Nintendo totally failed at making the WiiU a next gen proof console.

Nintendo is currently fighting to conquer it's own fan market. That's it. When they'll show some nice game, they'll conquer the rest of their NGC audience.

Mung

I feel sorry for nintendo to be honest. I haven't owned a nintendo home console since the gamecube, but had all the ones before. Would hate to see them be in trouble, they make some of the best games.

I think they made a mistake when they thought it was ok to underpower their console based purely on the Wii. That strategy depends on a gimmick/innovation that catches on with the masses like waggle did. Now that the Wii U hasn't had anything like the same response, they are in a terrible spot.

jaz013

Banned
This is just the usual spin on "it would take us some time due to some optimizations, but since Nintendo is not using the engine themselves, and they are not money-hatting us, we won't bother".

They got their public on the graphic whoring side, so that's where they are heading.

Nintendo had to try really hard to duplicate the Wii's structural issues while losing all of the advantages and mindshare the Wii created.

But they did it!

YAY IWATA

As much as die hard Nintendo fans will not like this suggestion. It is time for a company shakeup. Transition some new blood into the company.

StuBurns

Banned
I think he was talking more about the perception of Nintendo than support for Nintendo. As in, western media and game companies view Nintendo as largely a joke, whereas Japanese companies and media still largely respect them.
I don't think the West have contempt for Nintendo, they just failed to build a system that's a viable fourth arm to the next two and PC, so it's not going to get support from them. People see this as people cheering fuck Nintendo, it could just as easily be people cheering UE4 is high level.

Also, I almost feel like giving up on Nintendo consoles at this point. I try to be optimistic, but this is fucking retarded.
What Nintendo NEEDED to do after the Wii era, and with all of that cash that they had amassed, was to create a powerful console, maybe not something so comically overpowered as the PS4, but still something at least within the same league (like the PS2 was for Gamecube/Xbox). Nintendo had the perfect chance to marshall all sorts of third party support, it had everything going for it, but it completely fucked it up.

I hate to say this, because this man gave me the DS, and I loved that, and he turned the 3DS around almost single handedly, and that is en route to be one of my favorite systems ever, but... Iwata needs to go. His entire philosophy towards hardware is doing Nintendo more harm than good.

Keslord

Banned
I hate to admit it, but this is the truth.

Old ports of indie games is not gaining support. The system has to have decent first party games as well, even if they are obscure.
Doesn't matter, though. NeoGAF is filled with more than a handful of Sony diehards who get offended when you insult their previous Vita. The revival of the Vita is prophesized every time a new title is announced.

Face it, people. The Wii U and Vita are niche machines until 3rd parties jump on board.

Brofield

Stopped reading after the first sentence because Kotaku, but pushed forward for the rest of it.

Goddamn. Fuck this noise. I want to love the Wii U. I really do. I bought it on launch day. And so far my only excuse for owning only Nintendo Land, NSMBU and ZombiU so far is because of school studies. Beyond that I have my sights on MH3, NFS and Lego City Undercover.

But then what?

All my rage to tell these devs to fornicate themselves on a horizontal plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom