• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithos

lherre has some explaining to do :p. Not that it would have made much real difference anyway...

You sure?

Epic making an official UE4 version is not the same as an UE4 version do not exist or will exist, they didn't do much Nintendo support at all with their engine, OTHER developers ported the engine when they needed it for their games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
PS4-power-level ports on Wii U were a pipe dream anyway. There's not much point in compromising a game built for that hardware to get it on the Wii U. Wii U will have to survive on games made for it exclusively, not multiplats. Just like the Wii. Such is life.

Since I plan on owning both, I can't really complain! Gimme games made towards a system's strengths, thx.

Keslord

Banned
yeeish, that was cold.
It's also Kotaku. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything but the "no".

Anyways, not a big deal for me. As long as first party games still come out I'm happy. Anyone planning to solely have a Wii U next generation was an idiot in the first place

borius

Neo Member
What about when they port it to web-browsers and iOS in a few years? Will Wii U get it at that point?

yes, but there is no point in doing that. If you use UE4 you are doing that because you want to use it at its full potential, using the web version is not allowing that, you'll get better results using ue3 which is available on wii u.

The only thing Wii u is missing are the UE4 tools, but for the rest UE3 is better.

On mobile you're using UE4 tools and some of its new features but you can't use all the UE4 features in a mobile game, not yet, you have to make compromises and the result will be on par will below ue3 console games in the near future.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Other than the obvious, it says volumes that Rein can be so openly dismissive of the platform. Nintendo done fucked up good.

Drencrom

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

Goddamn

Terrell

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter.

Yeah, 3rd-parties have no ill feelings towards Nintendo alright.

Baleoce

oh my god xD

AZ Greg

pulltheplug.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Again, if Nintendo wants to release another console after Wii U they're clearly going to have to collaborate with another company. These third-party relationships are irreparably damaged.

Duxxy3

In the next episode of "How can things possibly get worse":

The Wii U is found to cause cancer
The controller explodes after 3 hours
The Wii U ate my homework and kicked my dog

so if i understand this , it's UE3 engine only for wii U

and i should personnaly expect the same kind of framerate problems i saw with ME3 ?

ok then ..

edit : wait no UE4 can work on wii U if other would they waste time and money to do it ...

JordanN

Banned
In this case it's justified.

Nintendo put out weak hardware. Why should developers bend their backs for them instead of pushing their own future?

If anything, Nintendo's lack of empathy for third parties is the real source of "ill feelings".

Pociask

. . . but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable. We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things . . .

But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on.

Not for Wii U is news, but so is the fact that they were just bullshitting about UE4 being a scalable engine. It's a Microsoft/Sony console engine. Good luck with that.

DigitalOp

Banned
I would laugh if it wasnt so damn pathetic. The Wiiu is like the industry joke at this point

You know what Im seriously wondering right now?

Does Nintendo seriously have the balls to take it out back and put a bullet in the head?

Like seriously, Or are they riding this sinking ship like a goddamn honorable captain should?

The next Nintendo console needs to ditch this retarded philosophy that Iwata seems to insist on for their hardware, it's doing irreparable damage to Nintendo wrt not just the market and their consumers, but also their third party relations and their perception within the industry at large.

Levyne

Banned
It feels like Wii U buzz/support/everything is falling off a cliff while the Vita is finally finding some footing. Did the Vita ever have a stretch of news this bad?

Stop wearing your tinfoil hat you Nintendo loving conspiracy theorist.

It feels like Wii U buzz/support/everything is falling off a cliff while the Vita is finally finding some footing. Did the Vita ever have a stretch of news this bad?
Get this shit out of here. The Vita and Wii U have nothing to do with each other.

Averon

DDDAAMMNNNN!!!

That's cold blooded. Almost feel sorry for Nintendo. Almost.

Keslord

Banned
Not for Wii U is news, but so is the fact that they were just bullshitting about UE4 being a scalable engine. It's a Microsoft/Sony console engine. Good luck with that.
Epic is a terrible company. They could just say "fuck Nintendo, are don't want our engine on their platform" instead and I wouldn't care. Can't wait for the iOS version of UE4 for the next Infinity Blade

Its weekly sales? But no one assumed every big game would come to vita and its not a console

Like it wasn't already the situation but Nintendo really needs to be firing on all cylinders now. Seeing as it seems like nothing is going to be releasing anytime soon, at E3 they should announce a bunch of games for the so called hardcore. None of the expanded audience stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with going after the expanded audience but it's pretty obvious that audience has no interest in the Wii U. They can't just show off games, they need to announce concrete release dates, none of this nebulous launch window crap.

Somehow something in the back of my head tells me Nintendo will still find a way to make another misstep.

They have very little room for error if they want to get the Wii U out of the shitty but quite laughable situation.

maltrain

The Wii U uses hardware that's more or less as powerful as the current Xbox 360 or PS3. It's certainly still more powerful than your average mobile device.

Well, it demonstrate WiiU is NEXT GEN... in mobile devices world...

XD

Keslord

Banned
How the fuck is Vita finding footing? 2 and 3 year ports of indie games? No. It's just as bad of a position as Wii U.

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

As EA, they don't consider WiiU next gen.

Berg

a lot of selective reading in here.
Epic isn't going to port the engine..he doesn't say it's not possible..in fact he says if someone else wants to do it, they can.

If a game is made in UE4, can it be ported down to UE3? or is it stuck on the engine it's made on forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom