• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata's Broken Promises (NotEnoughShaders article)

eternalb

An excerpt from the article (though please read the whole thing--lots more is discussed there)

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/060607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwata-promises-to-avoid-wii-style-gap-in-software-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/324133/wii-u-will-learn-from-3ds-bitter-lesson-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.
“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

Lots more at the link worth reading (incuding contradictions on the Wii's controller's philosophy versus the Wii U's, and who exactly does off-screen play appeal to):
Satoru Iwata: Hubris versus Western Culture
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/

It is interesting to see Nintendo repeating the same mistakes they said they'd avoid on numerous occassions. Maybe Nintendo just assumed repeating the exact same mistakes--including talking about fixing them--for the Wii U and 3DS would ensure the same success as their predessors?
lol

It's difficult to follow through on promises you have little control over. I understand why they keep making them, but they should know better.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
He's one of the worst things to happen to Nintendo.

GameE

I see ms. rogers is doing articles again, that didnt last long :p
Some of the stuff there is valid

sakipon

It's difficult to follow through on promises you have little control over. I understand why they keep making them, but they should know better.

I agree with this, his job is to plan but unexpected things come up. Still, they should notice the pattern.

You'd be an idiot to take an exec at their word when the honest truth would be exceptionally damaging. Sometimes questions are asked which simply don't have answers which can be spun to an advantage, so lying is the only real option. He could perhaps have got away with 'we'll do our best to avoid the problems we've had in the past,' but that would still have been very worrying from the perspective of an owner, prospective or real.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sucks but its still better than releasing unfinished games just to save your face.

Angry Fork

I realized this soon after I got a Wii and Mario Galaxy, sold it a year later and haven't looked at Nintendo again. They just don't have the capabilities either in terms of man power or creativity to keep up and provide reasons for owning their hardware, at least for me. If they had someone like OG Rare helping them it could be different.

Darryl

Banned
Droughts wouldn't be so bad if they had actual third party support.

i really doubt people would care right now. Nintendo is overvaluing third-party support and it's a mistake. they need to just release their own first-party titles because otherwise no one is gonna understand why they need this console at all.

JavyOO7

Haven't read the article yet, but the same web site had that article about Howard Lincoln and NOA a while ago. So I'm pretty sure this article will be just as great. Reading the OP and seeing the quotes, it stings but most of it is very true.

javac

Except for the shit-ton of money they made under his wing. I'm sorry but for us gamers the money Nintendo make might not seem to affect us but it does. It funds games after all and we get amazing stuff like Fire Emblem Awakening.

Tobor

He's destroying Nintendo, and yet Nintendo fans still worship the clown. It amazes me.

Hopefully he's fired by the end of the year and we can finally close this sad chapter.

Not Enough Shaders is making really outstanding articles about Nintendo lately. Howard Lincoln's, Nintendo/EA's and now this.

I'm sad people just now are realizing who Iwata really is after all this years...

Well, the 3DS suffered from droughts the first year, but after that they have lived up to their word.
I do think Iwata is more ambitious than reality would allow though.

eternalb

Haven't read the article yet, but the same web site had that article about Howard Lincoln and NOA a while ago. So I'm pretty sure this article will be just as great. Reading the OP and seeing the quotes, it stings but most of it is very true.

I'd be curious to read that. Do you have a link please?

JordanN

Banned
The funny thing is, he's a developer.

You'd think that would make him really good at his job.

But the guy is rather clueless about the industry.

He burned more bridges with gamers and third parties than anyone else. It's really sickening.

Nintendo needs to hire someone who's actually good with economics.

The point, Iwata fucked up by releasing Wii with technically inferior hardware, thus making them late in the programmable shader game. Which has left them with a first party title NSMBU, really exciting.

Edit: Nintendo needs a business man or woman.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think Iwata's problem is "hubris" or actual arrogance.

The problem with the "broken promise" of having learned from the 3DS launch is that Nintendo did try to change things for the Wii U launch: there was far more software available than for the 3DS, more online services, etc. The problem is that the quality wasn't up to par - while they tried, their capabilities were clearly strained beyond capacity. Seems evident that they needed another six months at least compared to where they were at last summer to ramp up.

bluemax

Banned
Oh god, this blog post links to a Sean Malstrom blog post.

I'm no defender of Nintendo but that kind of undermines your credibility.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You mean to tell me that video consoles have droughts at launch and and executives spin and promise it away?! WHHHHAAAAAAAAA

What an odd thing to make the highlight of your article.

Soriku

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

Then 2008 happened. Animal Crossing and Wii Music for all.

WiiMusic.gif

It's not about promises but Iwata is doing a bad job with the WiiU. The Nintendo support for the Wii was already pretty poor at the end of the Wii lifetime and the first Wii U year doesn't look good as well.

I'd rather have him stay despite that though. Status quo ftw.

YESSSSSSSSSS.

I've been saying this for a while now. The Gamepad is a regression, not an innovation. It's admitting the Wiimote was a mistake, when we all know it wasn't. Iwata doesn't know what he's doing, folks.

are you seriously orgasming over someone agreeing with you

Tobor

For six years, Iwata and Miyamoto preached to us about how game controllers have become too complex with too many buttons, sticks, and gizmos. When you look at the Wii U GamePad, you feel like the last six years of Iwata and Miyamoto preaching about simplifying controllers never even happened.

YESSSSSSSSSS.

I've been saying this for a while now. The Gamepad is a regression, not an innovation. It's admitting the Wiimote was a mistake, when we all know it wasn't. Iwata doesn't know what he's doing, folks.

Lijik

Never realized he said the same thing about the wii coming off the gamecube. I wasnt following the industry as deeply at the time though. Damn.
I still like his Iwata Asks series a lot, and think he's said some smart things regarding the industry but like the article says just because Iwata is likable it doesn't mean he's automatically a good CEO

stuminus3

The basic problem I see is that Nintendo don't have the capacity to provide as much content as is needed on their own, and they haven't had the relationships with third parties since the SNES days to fill in the gaps (and this situation gets worse as more competition enters the market, it used to just be Sega, then Sony, nowadays it's smartphones and Facebook gaming etc). Simply firing Iwata will solve exactly neither of these problems. No CEO can magic high quality product out of thin air, and this has been a problem since long before he was around.

IMO they might be doing better now if they abandoned the twin handheld/console strategy and went all out on one system. As far as I can tell, they're spending so much time and resources bringing the 3DS up to speed, there's nothing left for Wii U production. Both of these systems are also out in the wild long before they were ready, particularly the Wii U, which clearly Nintendo isn't ready for both with the lack of software and the obvious signs like Miiverse and the Wii U OS clearly being in a beta state.

Worth noting that Nintendo/Iwata's failure with the Wii U isn't actually that it should have done better being the successor of the Wii, because the Wii had flatlined long, long before the Wii U even existed. Which probably explains the above. The real failing was losing momentum in the latter half of the Wii's existence. The Wii U is coming "hot" off the heels of absolutely nothing.

javac

He's destroying Nintendo, and yet Nintendo fans still worship the clown. It amazes me.

Hopefully he's fired by the end of the year and we can finally close this sad chapter.

What do you expect to happen after he goes? Even if he did fuck everything up these things wouldn't change for years so you'd still be feeling the side effects. The next CEO wouldn't change anything. Same can be said for EA and SE.

And really I believe he's fucking up YOUR IDEA of Nintendo. Nintendo under his wing made a lot of money and a lot of amazing games have came during his time as the big boss. Games that have won critical awards and are some of, if not the best in the series entire libraries.

Losing money now is not a good thing but to say he's destroying Nintendo while Yamauchi and the gang released stuff like the Virtual Boy it seems like a funny statement.

Erethian

You mean to tell me that video consoles have droughts at launch and and executives spin and promise it away?! WHHHHAAAAAAAAA

What an odd thing to make the highlight of your article.

There's more in the article than that, but it makes the simple mistake of attributing Nintendo's faults to one individual and one generation of systems. When the issues are a lot more complex, and structural, than that. Something like their relationship with third parties goes way, way back and would also take more than a single console generation to fix.

But as a company that only makes games and game systems, what should Nintendo do? One misstep in the high-stakes table that MS and Sony sit at (like the PS3) would end the company. If they get out of console manufacturing, their revenues drop and they can't sustain all their first party studios.

aaaaaa

To be fair Nintendo is probably throwing more money/effort at the problem each time. It's just that their solutions don't work.

bluemax

Banned
Two links to Sean Malstrom. Sorry Emily Rodgers, your already amateurish blog post lost all remaining credibility.

Top Bottom