• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata's Broken Promises (NotEnoughShaders article)

Dysun

Not sure I follow. He doesn't get credit for reviving Nintendo after GC because it was "lightning in a bottle"? Huh?

He deserves credit for the success yes, but those years are long gone. They are brought up like a comfort blanket whenever someone objects to the way the company has been handled the last 4 years.

royalan

Fast Forward 5 years, Iwata has resigned and GAF has a monthly thread on the golden days of Nintendo under Iwatas reign and wishing he was back in control.

Nope. Iwata wasn't in charge during what were Nintendo's golden years for me. So he won't be missed one bit in this household.

Fast Forward 5 years, Iwata has resigned and GAF has a monthly thread on the golden days of Nintendo under Iwatas reign and wishing he was back in control.
People are really getting delusional up in here. Their software output on the Wii was some truly innovative and high quality stuff, but let's keep our feet to the ground here. It was three years of good stuff, but come on now.

I say this as someone who owns like 55+ Wii games.

Turrican3

Call of Duty is a mega monster seller that's the rare exception, not the norm.
One could arguably say it's the same for Nintendo since "only" their very high profile titles generally show long legs.

To think Lego City Stories or a Monster Hunter console game will have anywhere near those "legs", or the "legs" of a Mario game is silly.
I've never claimed nor implied that though...

There's a misconception about this. Just because you're not using absolute cutting edge technology doesn't mean you can't be powerful.
[...]
There's worlds of difference of how powerful Wii was in 2006 vs Gamecube in 2001.
I can easily agree with you on that.
Still doesn't make true that "Iwata started the culture at Nintendo of cheap underpowered hardware" as tapedeck claimed.

Celine

He deserves credit for the success yes, but those years are long gone. They are brought up like a comfort blanket whenever someone objects to the way the company has been handled the last 2 years.
Fixed.
The comfort blanket last until 2010.

When you're the successor to a handheld that sold 150 million, 100 million is a failure. Instead of growing, that's shrinking by a 1/3. I mean, it's not NintendOOOOMED (which is what no one in this thread is saying... man, that meme), but it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Iwata's management prowess.
You really think Nintendo targets for all their handhelds and consoles is 150M and 100M ?

If Nintendo (or any other videogame company) target is to replicate the Wii/DS days then they are destined to fail.

Top Bottom