• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI_AndyMC shares twitter rant about websites (incl Edge) posting Game Informer Scans

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's Edge as an example of who he is referring to: http://www.edge-online.com/gallery/batman-arkham-origins-assets-go-live-see-them-here/

https://twitter.com/GI_AndyMc

gameinformerrantsorid.jpg

Massa

They get mad when people simply post the news that comes from that articles. You don't own information, GI

Cheebo

Banned
He is 100% right. I love Edge but it was pretty shitty on their part to post those scans.

They get mad when people simply post the news that comes from that articles. You don't own information, GI

Edge didn't post information from Game Informer, but actual scans of their magazine. Big difference.

DaBuddaDa

As a consumer of information, I'm not sure why I should care. I don't mean this flippantly, I'm genuinely confused as to how this affects me.

antitrop

Thanks for making a thread about this. I saw someone mention his displeasure in the Batman thread, but didn't want to bother dealing with Twitter.

Borman

I've had sites steal shots from my small blog and watermark them. Especially my Star Wars Battlefront III stuff.

vic2020

Neo Member
Whatever. No one cares about game informer anyway, and only receive it due to it coming alongside a subscription to gamestop's card

Superflat

11 consecutive tweets is a bit excessive, but it's about a rule that should be followed. It's pretty shitty when other sites steal from you and use it as their own.

This does suck. Running a story from another article is one thing(but the source should be named as well), but stealing scanned images is just wrong. Call it lack of integrity, call it theft, how ever you look at it, it shouldn't happen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But people on Gaf said Edge is the only credible review source.

Also, haven't they done this before? He's completely right.

lantus

I would care Andy, but the nature of exclusives in the games media biz is already pretty fucking stupid. So it makes pretty much any point you have moot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To be fair, he's right

Agreed. He's not in the wrong, but to be fair sites like Kotaku (*Jason signal*) and other "blog"/sites "steal" articles or copy-paste articles from other sites without crediting at times. I know Jason's going to come in and say Kotaku doesn't do that anymore and to be fair, to my knowledge: he's right. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened in the past and isn't a common thing for game sites to do.

Holy Crap said:
Are tweet timelines descending? The 2HR doesn't help

Twitter 101: Read from the bottom up for the "sense" posting. Twitter posts the latests tweets (now->1second->1 minute->1 hour) at the top and the older (2 hours before that last tweet... 3 hours before that 2 hour tweet....) under it.

Salsa

it's weird when big sites do it, I guess

but it's inevitable, im sure there are plenty of forums or smaller sites that love the hits they get each time a new game info comes out and everyone googles [gamename] + gameinformer scans

ElFly

I would care Andy, but the nature of exclusives in the games media biz is already pretty fucking stupid. So it makes pretty much any point you have moot.

It's pretty hard to feel bad for them if these images mean that game informer has to give at least a 9 in their future batman review.

MYeager

They don't own the information, but anyone who claims to be professional journalist should site their sources and give credit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Digital magazines really muddied the water of this whole "please dont steal our magazines exclusive screenshots" dealio.

Not saying its right, but when that shit is crystal clear and just... out there... it becomes pretty hard to claim any ownership or "no scans!!" beyond going for total full image sized watermarks, which nobody wants.

GetemMa

What are talking about?

They got the story first. Warners gave them the content first because they worked to get the story. That is known as journalism.

When Edge takes that content and posts it on their site, it is stealing the man hours game informer put into getting that story.

This is exactly why nobody takes games journalism all that seriously because it is basically considered fair play to take other peoples work and make it your own for your own monetary benefit.

Omikaru

Oh lawd. Even better is in the Edge article linked in the OP they thank Game Informer and All Games Beta. It's like, "Oh cheers for doing all the work GI. And thanks to All Games Beta for buying the digital copy and stealing the content for us to in turn steal for hits."

How dreadful. A few years ago I'd expect better from Edge, but it seems to be a trend in the UK games press to just be completely fucking awful.

And I know the US games press does this shitty stuff too, but UK outlets, to me at least, seem so much more slimy and awful in this respect and others. And I say this as someone living in the UK. I'd definitely rather be part of the US enthusiast press than what we've got over here, RPS notwithstanding.

Top Bottom