• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: The Tale of ALLTYNEX - Japan's Epic Shooting Game Trilogy!

zulux21

What is The Tale of Alltynex?
The Tale of ALLTYNEX is a trilogy of arcade shooting games, created for the PC (Windows) by Japanese indie developer SITER SKAIN. All three games are legends in shmup / shooting game communities, both in Japan and overseas. We are currently working with SITER SKAIN to bring the complete trilogy to gamers worldwide in English for the first time.

Western gamers will finally be able to fully enjoy the unique mechanics, carefully crafted play experiences, focus on destructive fun, dramatic presentation and engaging score attack gameplay which have made the ALLTYNEX games renowned in Japan. Sci-fi fans will also enjoy the backdrop to the action, which is a millennium-spanning saga which encompasses global civil war, an ages old alien threat and humanity in need of salvation as it teeters on the edge of extinction.

Why kickstart the localization?
The money raised by a successful Kickstarter will allow us to apply additional resources to the final polish and quality checking phase of the localization and will go in part towards promoting the games to overseas gamers. This last point is hugely important for The Tale of ALLTYNEX to successfully make it through Steam Greenlight and onto Steam distribution. Japanese games struggle to gain attention and recognition on Steam Greenlight, so much so that only ONE Japanese indie game has managed to pass Greenlight out of over greenlit 70 games so far! The awareness and marketing budget from a successful Kickstarter will provide The Tale of ALLTYNEX a boost on Greenlight and hopefully contribute to bringing these games to the world's biggest digital distribution platform!

Of course, in the event that The Tale of ALLTYNEX successfully passes Steam Greenlight, everyone who has contributed $15 or more will receive a free Steam key for the games.

Important tiers:
  • $15 (soundtrack) a digital copy of all of the soundtracks
  • $15 (game) a copy of one of the games
  • $35 a copy of all of the games
  • $45 A copy of all the games and soundtracks and to be eligible for physical stretch goals

Stretch Goals:
$12,000 The Tale of ALLTYNEX Official Guide Book (Digital)
The guide book is an 82 page booklet with full color cover and black and white inner pages explains the history and characters of each game in the ALLTYNEX series and sheds light on key parts of the story not directly explained the games. In addition, it contains detailed guides to the gameplay mechanics, stages, bosses, glossaries of terms used in each game, bonus information about the soundtracks, packaging design, development history and even ALLTYNEX 4-koma manga strips!

A digital copy in PDF format will be sent to all backers who have contributed $25 of more.

$22,000: The Tale of ALLTYNEX Official Guide Book (Physical)
IMPORTANT: Only 450 of these editions will be created and will be allocated to the first 450 people to have contributed $45 or more. No further contribution will be necessary for these backers to receive the guide book.

$28,000: The Tale of ALLTYNEX Limited Physical Edition
* IMPORTANT: Only 450 of these editions will be created and will be allocated to the first 450 people to contribute $45 or more. No further contribution will be necessary for these backers to receive the guide book.
The physical edition will comprise of a 3 disc DVD case containing one DATA DVD (English localized builds of all 3 games, plus high quality digital versions of the soundtracks, audio extras and high res art assets), and 2 AUDIO CDs containing the original soundtracks to KAMUI, RefleX and ALLTYNEX Second.
3WpguzX.jpg

We'll also include a LIMITED EDITION POSTCARD SET based on the original game cover art and collected in a clear poly sleeve.
f81D1a5.jpg

Who is Nyu Media:
We are a London-based independent publisher whose mission to bring great Japanese PC games to English-speaking audiences worldwide and support independent game development in Japan.

You may not have heard of us because we don't get a lot of press, but we've been hard at work in support of Japanese indie developers! Since beginning operations in October 2011, our small team has localized and published 9 games for overseas users and we have the highest number of Japanese indie games (7 titles) published on the world-leading Steam distribution platform and presently have 2 games for consideration on Steam Greenlight.
Their games currently released on Steam are: Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ether Vapor, eXceed 1-3, and Satazius

I've covered most of the important info to read more about the games or see the other pledge levels just go on over to their kickstarter page

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
GenkiPatton from Nyu Media here. I hope the Kickstarter details are pretty straightforward, but I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have here.

PS Thanks to zulux21 for the mention!

cj_iwakura

Man if only people would work with the Sakura Wars or Langrisser series to pull something like this. :(

Gotta start somewhere though.

Wow, modest goal.

Well, we can dream, right? That's what the stretch goals are for :p The games really deserve a boxed version so I'm hoping it can be achieved.

Oh, man, Sakura Wars and Langrisser would be killer!

zulux21

Wait, they are only asking for $5000? Realistic goals.

yeah the 5k is quite realistic, and given they are more than halfway there with 97% of the kickstarter to go they should make it no problem. Heck the stretch goals aren't even completely crazy as 28k to get a limited edition physical copy as well as an 84 page book seems quite reasonable to me and doable if people spread the word.

I haven't played the games myself which is part of the reason I am excited for them, I have heard that the third game Kamui is really solid though, and both of my friends who hate kickstarter are planning on trying to get together funds to at least support this for that.

anyone not named GenkiPatton (nothing against ya most people just don't trust the people localizing a game to have a unbiased view on a game :p) have any experience with these games? I'd be interested in hearing more about the games, even though I am already backing this one because I like Nyu Media in general.

Well, we can dream, right? That's what the stretch goals are for :p The games really deserve a boxed version so I'm hoping it can be achieved.

Oh, man, Sakura Wars and Langrisser would be killer!

well the first step to getting games like that brought over would be to show that there is indeed a market for games like those. This kickstarter likely won't prove that, but every Japanese game that succeeds on PC in english doesn't hurt the odds for future games to come over.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't click the KS right now, so forgive me if this is answered there, but, who owns the rights to the original Alltynex?

zulux21

I can't click the KS right now, so forgive me if this is answered there, but, who owns the rights to the original Alltynex?
looking on wikipedia I find that
Alltynex is a Vertically Scrolling Shooter released for the FM Towns in 1997 and was developed by Satoshi Yoshida, who later formed Siter Skain

from the kickstarter we get that the games in the kickstarter were made by Siter Skain
SITER SKAIN is a 3-man Japanese indie development team formed by university friends in 1999. Their development style is somewhat unique in that the members individually make whatever game they feel inspired to make and other members help out as the needs arise.

SITER SKAIN’s shooting games focus on destructive fun, weapon mechanics that allow for tactical play, and engaging score systems that makes for enjoyable score attacks. Then, of course, they lavish effort into the stage design and dramatic presentation. There are no dialogue scenes in their games, but they effectively build up the tension and drama through inventive and effective use of battle situations, gameplay developments and background music

so I would guess that either Satooshi Yoshida or Siter Skain in general own the rights for the original Alltynex game, the guy from nyu media would likely know better though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
^^Oh, crap. I always thought the Siter Skain stuff was completely unaffiliated with the original.

In that case, any chance of a re-release of the original? I love all that 90's Japanese PC junk.

Shaneus

I must be honest... I've never heard of these games before, but anything that brings shmups to the PC is always a good thing.

Are they mostly bullet hell or are they a little more actiony than that (if you know what I mean)?

And has it always been a PC game, or have the titles been more traditionally known as Arcade titles? Apologies if this is already covered, I'm at work so don't have time to read through all the info :(

Edit: Nevermind, watched the video and that answered most of my questions. Surprised to see such a high-quality game from the indie scene! Gladly backing this one, especially with such a low target it's clear they're only asking for what they truly need and not to get a big profit off the top. Good stuff.

I've been waiting for Nyu Media to give a release date on these games, I recall them saying they would localize them awhile back ago! Either way I will definitely support this as these games are awesome

vall03

Woah! They're already at $3k? A few hours ago they were sitting on around $2k, thats fast! Will contribute by May assuming I have the money by that time. Its at times like this I hate Greenlight.

Backed.

Any plans for GOG versions?

We actually submitted to GOG last year and they rejected us. Not passing judgement as that could've been like the old Steam submission where a lot falls through the cracks. I mean, Kamui is the embodiment of a good old game and it's a defining title for the japanese indie scene. A lot of the circles doing original shooters wouldn't exist if it without them as an inspiration.

So you guys know what to do :p Same for Greenlight I guess. Vote up, favourite, share around, etc.

cj_iwakura

We actually submitted to GOG last year and they rejected us. Not passing judgement as that could've been like the old Steam submission where a lot falls through the cracks. I mean, Kamui is the embodiment of a good old game and it's a defining title for the japanese indie scene. A lot of the circles doing original shooters wouldn't exist if it without them as an inspiration.

So you guys know what to do :p Same for Greenlight I guess. Vote up, favourite, share around, etc.

Ouch. Does GOG even have any Japanese games? I always prefer their system to Steam's, but if they don't support doujin games, that really sucks.

Ouch. Does GOG even have any Japanese games? I always prefer their system to Steam's, but if they don't support doujin games, that really sucks.

They have Guilty Gear X and La Mulana if I recall correctly, so yeah. But none of them are "japanese-japanese" in the sense of, say, Fairy Bloom Freesia with its bright explosions of colours and cute faires. Guess it would be cool to be able to submit them again or get in touch with someone at GOG.

I'm off to sleep, this has been one of the longest days in my life...

If anyone is curious about the games, I posted a link to a stream we did with STG Weekly on the GAF shmups thread. It's a bit long (2 hours) but offers a lot of insight on the games, scoring, mechanics, story and more.

zulux21

∀ Narayan;55171436 said:
Backing this. I've been following Siter Skain for a long time. I want these games.

If you have played these and have thoughts about the games I would love to hear it/ add some gaf user feedback for the games to the opening post, as not everyone has played them (myself included) and some might want to know gaf opinions on them.

xemumanic

I bought Kamui pretty much as soon as it was possible...

I accidentally sat on the disc a month later. :(

No one is more excited for this than I.

If you have played these and have thoughts about the games I would love to hear it/ add some gaf user feedback for the games to the opening post, as not everyone has played them (myself included) and some might want to know gaf opinions on them.

I've only played Kamui and RefleX. If you enjoy RayForce of the Ray-series, then these games will be right up your alley as they share similar qualities to that particular title. RayForce happens to be my favorite shooter, so take that as you will. Granted, the Alltynex games play differently, but that's as close as I can get.

Here's some gameplay from the Sega Saturn version of RayForce. I usually link the Sega Saturn version because the soundtrack on that version is far better than the arcade version's BGM. (Video)

Here's some footage of the canceled R-Gear, which was a 2D sequel/spiritual sequel to RayForce (0:00 to around 1:40). This version was scrapped in favor of the 3D RayStorm/Layer Section II. I'm still bitter as Hell that the 2D game was canceled. Even though it's just a fragment of what could have been, everything from the visuals to the soundtrack seems far better than what we got. (Video)

Sorry for the slight derail. I hope this Kickstarter is successful and then some. :)

Shaneus

Bam.
a8KbQaM.png

Edit: Holy shit, on average each person has put in a little under $42, which is well above the minimum needed for the three games. Good shit.

Yep, funded! :D

Now it's time to aim for the "real deal": the physical goodies! The book is massive but hopefully it can be reached. Same for the boxed edition.

That's surprising. I thought the only games GOG didn't like were episodic(and even that's changing). I've upvoted Kamui for what its worth, here's the link for anyone else who wants to:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/kamui_siter_skain

zulux21

Yep, funded! :D

Now it's time to aim for the "real deal": the physical goodies! The book is massive but hopefully it can be reached. Same for the boxed edition.

at the current pace there is a decent shot of hitting the stretch goals, it will no doubt at least reach the 12k one. I am really hoping the physical goals make it though as those look awesome.

At the current pace I would expect the 12k goal is hit around next monday or so, as most of the kick starters I have watched slowed down a bit over the weekend.

That's surprising. I thought the only games GOG didn't like were episodic(and even that's changing). I've upvoted Kamui for what its worth, here's the link for anyone else who wants to:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/kamui_siter_skain

thanks, I upvoted it as well. hopefully if this does well GoG will take a second look at it regardless as I like supporting GoG

Usobuko

Banned
I am happy that the figure almost double it goal and still has a respectable duration left but then I need 269 more people to jump on $45 & above tier for the physical release.

zulux21

I am happy that the figure almost double it goal and still has a respectable duration left but then I need 269 more people to jump on $45 & above tier for the physical release.

Still need quite a few people as pledges have slowed down quite a bit. It's a shame that it seems hard to generate hype for this even though shoot em up fans I know are really excited for KAMUI, but at the new current rate we should hit the first stretch goal in about 4 days. Here's hoping things pick up and it happens sooner.

zulux21

Nyu media just updated that the KAMUI English Playable Demo is now available.
you can find details about it and the download link at the 8th kickstarter update here

Llyranor

Huh, didn't realize this was out. After trying out and loving the Kamui demo, I just bought the DRM-free trilogy on Gamersgate. From the Greenlight page, seems like people who buy from other distributors will get a Steam code when/if it get released on Steam too!

Kamui was pretty cool. I like the weapon system, toggling between shot/lightning/beam, and rationing the energy required to cancel bullets with the beam.

Top Bottom