• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New strain of bird flu in China...could be the real deal..Apocalypse Ahoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The latest outbreak of bird flu in China is "one of the most lethal viruses we've yet had to face" say experts, who warn it could poses a real global threat to human populations.

Scientists speaking in London have warned the avian strain H7N9 is now found in all 31 of China’s provinces and has infected 125 people.

It has swept through China and is mutating rapidly and already has two of the five genetic changes believed to be necessary for human-to-human transmission."

http://www.channel4.com/news/bird-flu-poses-real-global-threat-to-humans

..sounds kind of scary this time, certainly a lot more serious than previous outbreaks.

diamount

Banned
125 people out of a billion? Doesn't sound too serious. I'm sure there are people who haven't reported their symptons nad just think it's another case of cold or something but still you'd think it would spread more quickly like that considering how densely populated China is.

Thing is, once it gets the final 3 stages necessary for human-human transmission, there could be no stopping it.

It will be a very short time frame going from contained to epidemic.

PJV3

Only 20% have made a full recovery, this could he the one. Time to invest in funeral stock.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Time to go to Madagascar before they shut down everything.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm a little tired of being scared everytime a new virus is announced that could kill off everyone on earth.

German ornithologist wants a cat tax, and now a new bird flu. Sounds like Germany is planning another bid at world domination. Let's murder us some birds.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I beat Swine Flu by sleeping and playing video games, I'll beat this.

I got the swine flu, but I didn't play any games while I had it because I was busy vomiting all the time.

Human to Human is not a 'natural' evolution. All evolution is accidental, it just happens to 'work'. The virus is contained and continues to be dealt with quickly enough.

If it did jump to humans then we have the understanding and resources to deal with it relatively effectively.

Cto.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It can't replicate inside the human body yet. That is why the numbers are so low.

Why are they using Ferret's to develop the vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom