• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a month from release, nothing on The Last of Us' multiplayer

I'm really starting to get worried about the state of MP for the game. Naughty Dog released betas for Uncharted 2 and 3 about 4-5 months before they released. This also gave them enough time for feedback and fixing any bugs as well as polishing time. They were giving out details loooong before the games came out.

About 40 days from release and we haven't even seen a picture of the multi. No details, no trailers, absolutely nothing. A beta is obviously out of the question this late in the game, at least any beta with the aim of polish/working out kinks.

What do you guys think?

I don't think most of use are interested in the multi-player portion of the game.

I do think we'll be shown ahead of time though, probably this month.

Leucrota

Since the focus of the game is SP, I am glad they are not pushing MP information which most of the demographic of the game have little interest in. MP will exist and that is all that really matters.

MrDaravon

I genuinely forgot this was supposed to have multiplayer. That does seem really weird, unless it actually has been scrapped and they just haven't put that out there yet.

Draconian

Since the focus of the game is SP, I am glad they are not pushing MP information which most of the demographic of the game have little interest in. MP will exist and that is all that really matters.

So releasing info about the multiplayer is bad now? You can't be serious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly the game has been kind of quiet altogether.

We've had the VGA unveil, a couple of CG trailers (including the first VGA one), one gameplay demo at E3, the second trailer at the VGAs, and the environments video.

Gadirok

I trust Naughty Dog, if its anything like Ucharted's MP I will be amazed.

I just checked out the MP for U3 yesterday afternoon with a friend. Well, not really. We checked out split screen co-op and we had a blast, then followed up with a story mission that we couldn't finish.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I didn't even know this was going to have MP.

Probably wasn't going to play it anyway so meh.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's clearly not a focus for this game so I see nothing wrong with it. It has been a but torturous for me though since I've been on a strict blackout for so long and multiplayer was going to be the exception to that.

You guys saying it might have been cut know there are MP items included in preorders and the Survival Edition right? It didn't get cut.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly the game has been kind of quiet altogether.

We've had the VGA unveil, a couple of CG trailers (including the first VGA one), one gameplay demo at E3, the second trailer at the VGAs, and the environments video.

This game is gonna be delayed again, isn't it. :(

If they haven't even shown media or explained what multiplayer is going to be a month before release, questions like "What's the point" start bouncing around in my head. It's clearly a narrative driven game, so why even add multiplayer if they aren't treating it like a big part of the package? The Last of Us certainly isn't the first or last to market the game in such a way, but it just confuses me. How many people will even know the game has multiplayer when it releases?

I'm hoping the MP is amazing as UC2 was to me. My god I spent hours every damn day playing UC2 MP and I NEVER was bored. I must've clocked over 200 hours. I'd play alone, in groups it didn't matter, all I cared about was booting up MP. Oh man the memories...
It was only 3 years ago so if ND can rekindle the flame that UC2's MP sparked for this then I'm going to be one happy gamer. :)

Gadirok

You guys saying it might have been cut know there are MP items included in preorders and the Survival Edition right? It didn't get cut.

Its heavily advertised on the PS blog.

I haven't been following the game as much as I should be (only because I have been holding off Naughty Dog's titles for awhile) but I expect MP to be play similarly to Uncharteds.

And since theres still just over a month left before the title launches, you can guess they are going to start pushing out more information soon for multiplayer like they did for god of war.

Gadirok

I hope it got cut.

That's selfish.

Just because you want it cut, doesn't mean other people aren't looking forward to it.

I'm guessing most people are getting this for the SP, like me.

Anyways, this thread arguing has reminded me I still need to go preorder the game. SO I'm just going to go do that right now.

if they dump the MP, I'll pre-order day 1 haha

You probably weren't going to get it anyways.

Don't understand why people can't just ignore the MP for certain games since its optional to play.

Gorillaz

I look at it like this.

Either they are behind heavily in the MP section

or they must think they have something unique on there hands.

Its heavily advertised on the PS blog.

I haven't been following the game as much as I should be (only because I have been holding off Naughty Dog's titles for awhile) but I expect MP to be play similarly to Uncharteds.

And since theres still just over a month left before the title launches, you can guess they are going to start pushing out more information soon for multiplayer like they did for god of war.

But that's exactly what makes it strange to me. Uncharted had its multiplayer revealed and even had betas months and months before they came out. Waiting this long just feels off.

Gadirok

Sounds sort of a more methodical horde mode that involves crafting and enemies marking one of the players.

Hell yeah, I loved prospector mode in starhawk and all horde mode kinda games. Especially the survival split-screen in Uncharted 3.

jgmo870

Banned
If it was a handheld game, I'd be worried. But the way they've handled the entire reveal of the game makes me think they have something interesting in their hands.

Gadirok

But that's exactly what makes it strange to me. Uncharted had its multiplayer revealed and even had betas months and months before they came out. Waiting this long just feels off.

Usually when things aren't fully blown off things get bad.

But this is Naughty Dog we are talking about. The same devs behind the Uncharted trilogy and its acclaimed MP.

I'm confident they won't blow this up.

At the very least it will just be adequate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They had a commercial for the Walking Dead finale.

That doesn't entirely convince me on the basis that some publishers advertise their October/November games in January-March these days.

It's not unheard of to literally wait until the last 30 days to turn marketing up to full blast though, and by marketing I'm including things like pushing out tons of news and/or videos onto video game sites as opposed to just TV advertising.

I mean within two weeks I'd even expect a gold announcement given they have to print discs for the launch date.

Duffyside

Banned
(Saying you hope the multi got cut is) selfish.

No it isn't. It's just knee-jerk dumb. He may not benefit in the slightest if multi got cut, and if it is the only things that reasonably could have been effected were a few trophies turning into single player ones... and that's about it.

Tagg9

The "early access" demo that came with God of War is also set for May 30th, only two weeks ahead of the actual release. Not much of a pre-release demo.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just like with the Uncharted MP games, Naughty Dog will create something amazing and later ruin it. Happened with Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3.

RiverBed

Banned
It's releasing so soon!
ist2_6823958-super-excited.jpg

I didn't even know it had multiplayer. >_> <_< >_<'
Okay, going back to radio-silence mode.
*bails with fingers in ears shouting " LA LA LA!" repeatedly*

You probably weren't going to get it anyways.
Don't understand why people can't just ignore the MP for certain games since its optional to play.

I'm half joking, I will play it because I'm a Uncharted fan and this setting looks 100 times better than Uncharted already.

I just said I don't care because I won't touch the multiplayer, I played it like 3 hours and then went back to PC multiplayer games

Then they're probably just saving all their marketing resources to go full blast right before launch.

Probably. But you're right, if some sort of big marketing push doesn't start up soon then something is going on. Their new marketing group has been on point since they've been hired. And TLoU is obviously going to receive a huge push when its release starts to near.

Top Bottom