• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft + Oculus Rift video

TUSR

Banned
It's build primarily for games, but can be used for many more applications if built properly for the device. The focus right now is using it as a gaming device though.

Was going to say this topic might be a bit more popular on Gaming side.

I just spent the last few 8 minutes or so reading about this, wonder where the hell I can try one out.

I really want to try this. I feel like it's something you can't understand until you actually put it on and try it. I just don't get what it's supposed to do at all.

Can't wait for the consumer version!

Incidentally, I've got pretty good at watching these two-screen videos like they're those stereoscopic 3D pictures. Try crossing your eyes until you see three images and then focus on the centre image. It really looks 3D! And it gives you a little insight into the "feel" of VR that people who try this out are always going on about.

ckohler

Has anyone tried watching this video full-screen on a 3D tv? Since it's side-by-side split screen, it might work. I know my 3D tv supports several 3D modes, including left/right.

I'm at work but I'll try it when I get home.

Philia

Can't wait to have this immersive with some kind of physical activity required. Like walking and running and the like. Man, that'd make a lot of fucking people lose weight! :D

ido

The Rift is so awesome.

I'm bringing mine to work tomorrow to get reaction videos from random coworkers

I tried to stare at this for a long time like a Magic Eye thing to see if I could get the stereoscopic effect but all I got was a headache. It almost worked.

ido

I tried to stare at this for a long time like a Magic Eye thing to see if I could get the stereoscopic effect but all I got was a headache. It almost worked.

I know it works, but it's so much work to do that. When you get the Rift it will be so much easier on your eyes

It'll be nice when Notch gets to work on an official port. Looks pretty hacked together (clipping on the body, not the smoothest movement) ... pretty cool that it's working in concept tho!

syko de4d

It'll be nice when Notch gets to work on an official port. Looks pretty hacked together.

it´s Alpha and i think they play 0.15 or below

we are already at 0.19
0.16 Alpha 07-05-13
===================
- Head tracking fixed.

0.17 Alpha 08-05-13
===================
- Prototype 3D GUI.

0.18 Alpha 08-05-13
===================
- Attempt to fix crash while head track enabled in menus.
- Reduced opacity of HUD.

0.19 Alpha 09-05-13
===================
- Reverted to fixed position HUD.
- Large GUI size recommended.
- Fixed mouse pointer alignment issue on menus.
- Possible fix for crash on exit.
- Added head track prediction support. Ctrl-Alt L to toggle.

Should be way better now and that only 2-3Days later :)

Bsigg12

Have they discussed in depth issues with third person cameras?

Not that I know of. I just feel it would break the immersion if the camera was always locked on to a character or in its direction and you couldn't use the 360 view the Rift offers. Sure the 3D could look great but it would be the same as using 3D on a monitor now if you can't look around freely like you can with everything now.

3SGjOx0.gif

Oh wow O__O
I don't care one iota about minecraft, but I actually got an idea of whats possible with this thing from that..good stuff..

take away the need for camera control on the interaction interface..the possibilities..

the worse case is its used mostly for FPS shooters and acquired by Activision -__-

I'd feel the same way a peace loving scientist would feel when the military weaponizes their discovery.

Perkel

Banned
It will be simply must buy. Lets hope consumer version will include 1080p oled screen, even larger FOV and 3d head montion tracking gyro or whatever it needs.

Oculus Rift + GT5
Oculus Rift + Just Cause 2
Oculus Rift + insert your beloved 3D game here

stufte

It will be simply must buy. Lets hope consumer version will include 1080p oled screen, even larger FOV and 3d head montion tracking gyro or whatever it needs.

Oculus Rift + GT5
Oculus Rift + Just Cause 2
Oculus Rift + insert your beloved 3D game here

Just remember that it's PC only at this point and the game has to support it...

Top Bottom