• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter for Rollercoaster Tycoon Fans

I've been following their development for some time even before the Kickstarter. I don't feel this will be anything like the Rollercoaster Tycoon series.

we live in a sad, sad world when a Rollercoaster Tycoon game has to be kickstarted... :(

Meaning these games should get publishing attention without kickstart!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
we live in a sad, sad world when a Rollercoaster Tycoon game has to be kickstarted... :(

Meaning these games should get publishing attention without kickstart!

That's because this game is almost nothing like Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's more of a simulator.

demolitio

Imagine riding one of your created coasters while wearing an Occulus Rift...

Then I scrolled down and see it's planned which makes me want it more. :D

Orbis

That's because this game is almost nothing like Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's more of a simulator.
Well they describe the construction of the entire park, including shops, non-coaster rides, scenery, park guests. They're going for a full theme park simulation, which is what Rollercoaster Tycoon was. Seems like the aim is essentially a more modern RCT3, with more advanced physics etc. Sounds promising if they can pull it off.

It could fall into the same trap of RCT3 though, where the coaster building/simulation was much better than the rest of the game. Still a decent game though when fixed with the official patches and expansions.

I've only watched the Kickstarter video so far but is there any type of "Tycoon" gameplay or is it just building coasters? Riding my virtual coaster was something I did only once or twice in RCT3.

Vexxan

It looks very advanced(maybe too advanced) but the Oculus Rift support could really make this a cool product. Will keep an eye on this game in the future, seems like they'll be able to reach their goal.

Orbis

I've only watched the Kickstarter video so far but is there any type of "Tycoon" gameplay or is it just building coasters? Riding my virtual coaster was something I did only once or twice in RCT3.
See that's the thing here; they talk about the other aspects but we're not seeing so much of it so far. Quotes like:

so you guys can see that this game is a lot more than just roller coasters and rides!
Seem as though they want people to see that it's going to be more than building and riding coasters, but I think their best bet is to actually show some kind of ideas of how the park will function.

Why is there no RollerCoaster Tycoon 4?
Why?
WHY????????????

What is Chris Sawyer doing right now?

Two of my favorite games of all time (1+2) are 13-15 years old.

I was going to post this here but decided against it as its not a game, its a way to build theme park rides.

The main criticism against it is that there's no management, its just building.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, the RCT3 ride building community will love it, but cool rides are only one reason I play Roller Coaster Tycoon. The other is managing.

Hopefully it meets its funding goal and we all get to see what it is/if they add an economy/management stuff.

Neo Child

Banned
I loved 3, all the options and the customization. You can make some really awesome parks with it, plus coaster viewer.

1& 2 do hold a more special place in my heart tho.

cbox

This looks more like a roller coaster building simulator rather than a fun themepark game... From the video at least.

SOmeone needs to make a 3d isometric viewed RCT clone with rideable coasters.

1 and 2 were amazing, and I'd love another RCT game. but I wonder would it really be so similar? The UI seems more complicated than fun.

My guess is that this is a ride-building game where you can install pathways, shops, trees, etc., as design/aesthetic elements. I've seen nothing to suggest that there will be any management or park-sim aspects.

And, honestly, for a game focused exclusively on ride design, I haven't seen much to indicate that the tools are all that special. (They seem very intricate, but that's only half the battle, in my view. The important part is to have detail-oriented tools that are exceptionally easy to use. I'm not seeing that so far.)

The visuals are meh.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Pretty sure these are the same developers that made Hyper Rails, which was a pretty decent game(although No Limits was way better). These types of games are really for theme park nerds who want to make the best and most realistic rides/scenery and never intend on opening their park to guests. Which is what I've done in every RCT game.

I backed it, I love these types of games. We need more theme park simulation games.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just want this for the Oculus Rift support. If you have an Oculus Rift and have tried Rift Coaster, you know the appeal.

squall23

I just miss sandbox building + management games period. At least the ones that don't force IAPs on you like most of the mobile games do. I'm so glad Kairosoft has only a few games with IAPs.

Orbis

Yeah, "Money Management" (a.k.a. "the game") is a stretch goal.
Oh wow, how did I miss that. Yeah that's kind of a blow to be honest, and I doubt it'll make that goal. Still seems cool but it's basically just a design tool then; I'd still be interested due to Rift support and my love of sandbox games. But not quite what I was thinking; my fault for not reading.

Merino

So with 4 days left and a little short of their original funding goal it seems clear we don't have to expect any (money)management features.

Thus it still wont fit the hole that has been left by RCT. Too bad as I have been anxiously awaiting a good theme park sim game for years now.

Also the UI looks terribly complicated.

Intru

Looks interesting, I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

Not awful, just paled in comparison to the 1st and 2nd.

RCT3 is great if you have the Soaked! expansion, however it certainly did not live up to the first two games when it was first released.

Wubby

2D or bust.

This. Chris Sawyer has really disappeared off the face of the planet. Did the law suit he fought against Atari really sour him from dropping out of the games industry all together?

Even if it's not called Rollercoaster Tycoon if Chris Sawyer were to do a Kickstarter for a new 2D Rollercoaster game he would rake in at least a million I would bet. And he doesn't need many people to do it either. He made the first RCT with like 3 people.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Why is there no RollerCoaster Tycoon 4?
Why?
WHY????????????

What is Chris Sawyer doing right now?

Two of my favorite games of all time (1+2) are 13-15 years old.

3 was awful though.

What is Sawyer doing though? An iconic game developer who just dropped off the map.

"In November 2005, Sawyer sued Atari, claiming that they had failed to pay him certain royalties. Sawyer and Atari settled out of court for an undisclosed amount in February 2008."

There may never be another RCT

He also seemed to be distancing him self from RCT:
Sawyer also served as a consultant for Atari in the development of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3.

Top Bottom