• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: PlayStation is “Reevaluating how we operate” in light of the recent layoffs

nial

Gold Member
This is ridiculous. At this point, PS first-party should be a fully well-oiled machine, cranking out great games. PS5 is starting it's 4th year on the market, which is when first-party output should just be hitting it's peak. Whoever is managing PS first-party is doing a horrible, horrible job. Sorry but it's the truth.
Kinda weird how PS5 2024 is much better than Switch 2020...
Sorry, but it's the truth.

Kinda weird how PS5 2024 is much better than Switch 2020...
Sorry, but it's the truth.
Are you not aware of the global pandemic...? Or are you just being deliberately obtuse

Switch 2020 was Animal Crossing, Pikmin 3, Paper Mario Origami King, Age of Calamity, Mario 3D All-Stars, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition...couldve been a lot worse, all things considered.

Last edited:

Fake

Are we going to ignore how PS4 had much better first-party support that year? Not to mention PS5's launch lineup.

PS4 had a superb launch and don't even have BC.

The key point are the folks behind Playstation from that time. Andrew House for example.

nial

Gold Member
PS4 had a superb launch and don't even have BC.

The key point are the folks behind Playstation from that time. Andrew House for example.
I was talking about PS4's 2020, implying that it did not get massively affected by the pandemic, which was the excuse for Switch's poor support that year.

ProtoByte

This is ridiculous. At this point, PS first-party should be a fully well-oiled machine, cranking out great games. PS5 is starting it's 4th year on the market, which is when first-party output should just be hitting it's peak. Whoever is managing PS first-party is doing a horrible, horrible job. Sorry but it's the truth.
I think this is incorrect.

Years 1-3 of PS5 major 1st parties were way higher frequency than the first 3 years of the PS4. Year 4 of the PS4 started and ended with Horizon. Unless I'm misremembering some PSVR stuff.
Sony's put out Helldivers 2 and probably will put out another smaller title this year. If not Concord and/or Fairgame$, probably Astrobot. It's really not that different. If anything it's better.

If you expect highly ambitious games (and we'll see if that's what's up next), you can't expect some type of totally efficient pipeline were there are 2-3 tentpole premium titles every year on the year. It's not like there's a drought here.

nial

Gold Member
Year 4 of the PS4 started and ended with Horizon. Unless I'm misremembering some PSVR stuff.
It actually started with Gravity Rush 2, but yes, the Horizon expansion/definitive edition was among the last games that year, along with other stuff like LocoRoco 2 Remastered, PlayLink titles and that The Last Guardian VR demo. Gran Turismo Sport was the last major game that year, though.

What was your excuse for Switch's poor 2020 output, again?
Again, clearly you’re being deliberately obtuse. Or you’re just not aware of COVID. Either way, ridiculous.

But, sure we’ll keeping doing this… So, nice try. You already responded to that one! 😂. But clearly this is what you do when trapped in a corner, gotta have the last word so you just side-step and keep moving the goal post. Classy!

Last edited:
I think this is incorrect.

Years 1-3 of PS5 major 1st parties were way higher frequency than the first 3 years of the PS4. Year 4 of the PS4 started and ended with Horizon. Unless I'm misremembering some PSVR stuff.
Sony's put out Helldivers 2 and probably will put out another smaller title this year. If not Concord and/or Fairgame$, probably Astrobot. It's really not that different. If anything it's better.

If you expect highly ambitious games (and we'll see if that's what's up next), you can't expect some type of totally efficient pipeline were there are 2-3 tentpole premium titles every year on the year. It's not like there's a drought here.

2 first-party games in the fourth year of the dominant platform on the market is good?

I mean, that’s how you feel. It’s not invalid. I just don’t agree. I think their output would be way better at this point in the PS5 cycle if they weren’t diddling around with their studios forcing a square peg into a round hole, shoe-horning live-service elements into their single-player, narrative-driven games. Or worse, directing studios that don’t have any expertise making live-service games to just somehow make one. Their studios don’t specialize in that. It’s not what they’re good at. In my opinion, it’s a huge waste of resources and a giant shame to see PS5 output be this low in what should be the peak season for PS5, going into Year 4.

Sony first-party should be firing on all cylinders right now, and unless they’re hiding all of their big games, I’m thinking they don’t really have much to show. And that saddens me. Playstation is known for making some amazing games that push boundaries, and I’d say they’re way off their game this generation.

You buy a $500 console and all you get in Year 4 is Helldivers 2 and “maybe an Astrobot” sequel, and that’s considered good? Ok. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever makes ya happy, I guess.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Again, clearly you’re being deliberately obtuse. Or you’re just not aware of COVID. Either way, ridiculous.

But, sure we’ll keeping doing this… So, nice try. You already responded to that one! 😂. But clearly this is what you do when trapped in a corner, gotta have the last word so you just side-step and keep moving the goal post. Classy!
I was talking about PS4's 2020, implying that it did not get massively affected by the pandemic, which was the excuse for Switch's poor support that year.
Ok.
2 first-party games in the fourth year
Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Concord are more than 2, pal. And even then, we don't know their full plans for H2.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
-Profit margins tanking
-Shrinking number of first party releases
-Recent studio acquisitions don't seem to be paying off (Bungie,Firesprite)

The next ~5 years are going to be very interesting. They really have to focus on growing their presence on PC, mobile, cloud, and other platforms.

Its safe to say many folks won't be happy about what is going to happen in the next 5 years. Personally I can't wait, seems big change is coming

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its safe to say many folks won't be happy about what is going to happen in the next 5 years. Personally I can't wait, seems big change is coming
will sure be interesting.

As someone who has trended a bit more and more to cheap and casual PC games (Balatro has been a nice time sink the past week), and I got some more to try soon as I’m reaching my limit of Balatro, it’s entertaining reading all the corporate messiness and warrioring lately.

I always enjoy any gaming or OT thread having to with business side of things since techie companies operate so different than mine in terms of everything…. Strategy, roller coaster financials and employee attitudes.

Fredrik

To me it just seems like the fighting will move over to PC and cloud, can be seen already by people comparing Steam CCU numbers on ”console exclusives” and comparing streaming techs. The platform war will continue and I expect the launcher war to be the next big thing.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

2 first-party games in the fourth year of the dominant platform on the market is good?

I mean, that’s how you feel. It’s not invalid. I just don’t agree. I think their output would be way better at this point in the PS5 cycle if they weren’t diddling around with their studios forcing a square peg into a round hole, shoe-horning live-service elements into their single-player, narrative-driven games. Or worse, directing studios that don’t have any expertise making live-service games to just somehow make one. Their studios don’t specialize in that. It’s not what they’re good at. In my opinion, it’s a huge waste of resources and a giant shame to see PS5 output be this low in what should be the peak season for PS5, going into Year 4.

Sony first-party should be firing on all cylinders right now, and unless they’re hiding all of their big games, I’m thinking they don’t really have much to show. And that saddens me. Playstation is known for making some amazing games that push boundaries, and I’d say they’re way off their game this generation.

You buy a $500 console and all you get in Year 4 is Helldivers 2 and “maybe an Astrobot” sequel, and that’s considered good? Ok. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever makes ya happy, I guess.
Buddy, I said nothing about it being good. It's an off year. Off years happen.

In my post history, I have warned and criticized that Sony's live service push was going to have a negative impact and ultimately waste time. I was so right about that, Sony's decided to begin course correcting in less than 18 months. I also understand that the live service push was inevitable. I don't like it or think it's good, but I can accept it for what it was.

I honestly don't know who was expecting much in 2024 anyway, even from as much as 2021 when they announced Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine.

-Profit margins tanking
-Shrinking number of first party releases
-Recent studio acquisitions don't seem to be paying off (Bungie,Firesprite)

The next ~5 years are going to be very interesting. They really have to focus on growing their presence on PC, mobile, cloud, and other platforms.
Such focus will not materially change anything about this situation. Not for the better, if at all.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I kind a wonder what the age of the average playstation first party game buyer really is. I wonder if the people that buy the those games are getting older and older and newer people aren't joining in.

Fredrik

I kind a wonder what the age of the average playstation first party game buyer really is. I wonder if the people that buy the those games are getting older and older and newer people aren't joining in.
Yeah, going by my kids and their buddies PC gaming is more popular than both PS and Xbox. And mobile gaming is big too, Switch too but less than one would imagine. And social games are more popular than single player story focused games.

Top Bottom