• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lmfao! You need compelling software to sell PSVR2. Not indie shovelware.
Which again points to the fact that it's Sony's duty to provide AAA games for PSVR2. It's no good claiming no headset is regularly getting AAA games. Maybe Sony should have thought about this before diving in?
DGrayson DGrayson

Please give me a lifetime ban. I cannot bear to keep coming back here and read this kind of stuff. The gaf addiction is too strong too break! Please end my suffering. 🙏

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So how much is this handheld going to cost that can run downscaled PS5 games? Anything over £300 is dead in the water.
Again you need compelling software to sell a dedicated handheld and not just ports.
Sony don't have the type of games that sell handhelds like Nintendo do.

You've seen a steam deck that came out 2 years ago that already plays most modern games, considering the advance of technology and economies of scale that Sony has, a mass market price is within reach.

I'm not talking "just ports", we are talking every single one of sony's AAA games day and date on releaae date. To suggest that's somehow far weaker than what Nintendo offers is wrong. If you think Mario and zelda are the only way a handheld can have success, you are wrong.

They can't support one of those platforms and their main console never mind PSVR2 and a handheld. Any company can release a good hardware product. Supporting it with great software over the years is the problem. Sony just can't do it.

Well just keep in mind when I say a "new Sony handheld" I literally mean a portable version of their console. So it basically plays the exact same library as the console, with some different settings. The only big difference it it does so as a portable instead of a regular console box.

I'm not asking for a PS3/PSP or PS4/Vita scenario where they're making specific games for each device type. That isn't possible anymore and I'm almost kind of surprised they have tried doing the same with PS5 & PSVR2 instead of just making more PS5 games VR-compatible with PSVR2.

Which again points to the fact that it's Sony's duty to provide AAA games for PSVR2. It's no good claiming no headset is regularly getting AAA games. Maybe Sony should have thought about this before diving in?

No one is making AAA games built for VR from the ground-up. That won't start to happen until there's a VR device with millions of users backed by a company with world-class development studios who'd have the most incentive to make that push.

So ironically, Sony are the best bet.

So how much is this handheld going to cost that can run downscaled PS5 games? Anything over £300 is dead in the water.
Again you need compelling software to sell a dedicated handheld and not just ports.
Sony don't have the type of games that sell handhelds like Nintendo do.

Why would a PlayStation handheld that can play downscaled PS5 games be DOA if it was more than $300? What, just because the Series S is dead in the water? A PS handheld that can natively run PS5 games at lower settings is magnitudes more appealing than a Series S or even a Steam Deck, for that matter, when it comes to current-gen games.

And again, you're conflating what people are meaning when they say a modern PS handheld. No one is really asking for a dedicated portable with its own library of games. Those days are over. Even Nintendo got away from that by merging their home console & handheld lines into a single product. So why are you insisting that Sony "must" have a dedicated handheld with its own library in order for that handheld to justify its existence?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It's not a VR topic without people chiming in who have no idea what they are talking about.

Alan Wake

Too expensive. No PSVR back compat support. I understand why it isn't flying off the shelves, but I can't understand why Sony put money into R&D and then basically abandon their product shortly after. But they're not handling their Xperia phones much differently either, more or less shadow launching them as if to prevent people from knowing about them.

Too expensive. No PSVR back compat support. I understand why it isn't flying off the shelves, but I can't understand why Sony put money into R&D and then basically abandon their product shortly after. But they're not handling their Xperia phones much differently either, more or less shadow launching them as if to prevent people from knowing about them.

Ever heard of market tests?

John Wick

Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It's not a VR topic without people chiming in who have no idea what they are talking about.
That's why PSVR2 is breaking sales records...........
I have no idea what I'm talking about?
Let me know when it's the best selling VR device on the market........m

John Wick

Well just keep in mind when I say a "new Sony handheld" I literally mean a portable version of their console. So it basically plays the exact same library as the console, with some different settings. The only big difference it it does so as a portable instead of a regular console box.

I'm not asking for a PS3/PSP or PS4/Vita scenario where they're making specific games for each device type. That isn't possible anymore and I'm almost kind of surprised they have tried doing the same with PS5 & PSVR2 instead of just making more PS5 games VR-compatible with PSVR2.

No one is making AAA games built for VR from the ground-up. That won't start to happen until there's a VR device with millions of users backed by a company with world-class development studios who'd have the most incentive to make that push.

So ironically, Sony are the best bet.

Why would a PlayStation handheld that can play downscaled PS5 games be DOA if it was more than $300? What, just because the Series S is dead in the water? A PS handheld that can natively run PS5 games at lower settings is magnitudes more appealing than a Series S or even a Steam Deck, for that matter, when it comes to current-gen games.

And again, you're conflating what people are meaning when they say a modern PS handheld. No one is really asking for a dedicated portable with its own library of games. Those days are over. Even Nintendo got away from that by merging their home console & handheld lines into a single product. So why are you insisting that Sony "must" have a dedicated handheld with its own library in order for that handheld to justify its existence?
So the device is only going to sell to a small percentage of the PS fanbase. The reason why Nintendo is successful with their handhelds is their games are compelling and made for the handheld. They are not just scaled down console games. I think the PS Vita is proof of Sony and handhelds.

John Wick

You've seen a steam deck that came out 2 years ago that already plays most modern games, considering the advance of technology and economies of scale that Sony has, a mass market price is within reach.

I'm not talking "just ports", we are talking every single one of sony's AAA games day and date on releaae date. To suggest that's somehow far weaker than what Nintendo offers is wrong. If you think Mario and zelda are the only way a handheld can have success, you are wrong.
So which handheld barring the PSP has come anywhere near the success of Nintendo handhelds???
PSVita showed Sony didn't have a clue or the resources to make it a success.

R6Rider

Gold Member
That's why PSVR2 is breaking sales records...........
I have no idea what I'm talking about?
Let me know when it's the best selling VR device on the market........m
Why are you talking about Sales Records? Why are you mentioning other VR devices?

You keep on proving my point. Just grasping at straws.

And since that's the route you chose with your response. There's nothing more to be said.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

So which handheld barring the PSP has come anywhere near the success of Nintendo handhelds???
PSVita showed Sony didn't have a clue or the resources to make it a success.

I knew you were going to throw that at us.
So in your mind, a system that had crappy controls, masively overpriced storage, and a weak catalog of games that were nothing like the main successful console is exactly the same thing as a new machine with day and date all games on the main platform? (Including most or all 3rd party)

Don't know what to say other than you are comparing to massively different scenarios.
Having the same architecture and scalability changes the entire game.

And that's not even touching the hybrid nature of any portable sony might release, considering it will no doubt easily hook to a tv like the switch, making it more attractive to potential buyers than prior handhelds. (Part of the reason switch sold so well)

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’ve already got my moneys worth in its first year alone and expect great things going forward. I’m frankly surprised at many of the above commenters apparent willingness to swallow this tripe from IGN.
A quick search of "IGN PSVR2 Review" on YT shows that they've only reviewed the AAA and AA stuff.

These big outlets likely don't even know how to play VR and anyone who actively plays VR knows that isn't some holier than thou mindset to accuse someone of not knowing how to play VR, it's the simple truth. VR is so vastly different from playing a standard 2D game and it takes time to get adjusted to it all.

Ian from Eurogamer seems like the only person at a major outlet that actively plays the thing. John from DF has done some good videos too but they are few and far between.

Anyone who actively plays VR knows that the big outlets are talking out of their ass whenever they push doom and gloom VR narratives.

XXL

I’ve already got my moneys worth in its first year alone and expect great things going forward. I’m frankly surprised at many of the above commenters apparent willingness to swallow this tripe from IGN.
I agree. I love the PSVR 2.

I just think the issue is that they need to announce some bigger titles that are coming to the platform in the future.

But that's it, the current line up is fucking amazing and massively underrated imo.

Wonko_C

It's a shame sony has ip ripe for vr.

They don't even need to be full games.

Shadow of Colossus vr - imagine climbing a colossus in vr!
Spiderman vr - web slinging in vr
Jumping flash vr - platform jumping in vr
Lair vr - dragon riding in vr
The show - vr homerun derby
Cool boarders - vr snowboarding
If they aren't full games then you will hear the same complaints about them being only short tech demos or side games.

If you use them in a VR headset, yes.
That's not how it works. You would be just playing a normal game on a projected screen.

Still have yet to see a single compelling game that makes me want to invest in a VR console.
You probably have missed on a ton. There are people who don't even know there is even an Assassin's Creed VR game. If one of the biggest franchises goes over the radar of non-VR gamers, then indie/AA games have zero chance of catching on.

VR is now where consoles were 20 years ago. Give it time.
I wish it was. 20 years ago PlayStation 2 was having incredible success. In reality we're still in the Atari/NES era. It's like that meme where what we remember being from 20 years ago in reality is from 40, LOL.

VR will always be niche because most people who game do it traditionally sitting on a couch or office chair. The Wii fad came and went fast. And only diehards who want Wii hand waving controls with wrist gadgets again combined with 360 view want that again.

From my limited time playing VR PC top sellers like Job Sim and Creed before covid, the games are total junk. Now someone will say, there all games are way better than those two. Maybe. But who cares. If holistically thats the kind of games you get, forget it even if they are $20. I'd rather sit on my couch and play better games that cost more.

Creed VR didn't even make sense. Youre swinging your fists like a boxer and the game tries sim your character getting beat up and slower. So even though I'm throwing fists fast the game doesn't even catch up. Whats the point of full motion punch simming if it cant even replicate it.
Creed is an arcade game, Thrill of the Fight is what you're looking for.

Uh, sure. It's not on fire but it's a viable set it you are in to VR in general. I was hoping for more of the hybrid games, and I feel like I payed a high price despite being happy with the purchase.

Truth is, VR software (be real, the graphics) is not at a level where people are ready to part with that 500-550. Quest is doing good but it's not like we're seeing an alyx or gran Turismo twice a year. These games aren't even on quest but 2-6 amazing AAA games over 7 years is not enough to sway people. They'll go for the more comprehensive system over competitors because why not? It runs the games fine. If VR software took advantage of more powerful systems, not only would more people be into it, but you'd see more health in PC VR and psvr.

As of now, psvr 2 feels like a : "yup. That's a VR set alright". But it doesn't feel dead or anything. The lack of the hybrid games that were hinted at is the one real disappointment. I chose those thing because I was hoping to get more gran Turismo and re8 grade stuff.
More than 1st party we need the big 3rd party publishers supporting the platform with hybrid games (or VR as a whole): Sega, Capcom, Namco, Square-Enix, Koei-Tecmo, Rockstar, 2K, EA, Ubisoft, Epic Games, etc. It's the only way we'll be seeing constant game releases the average gamer will care for.

I have a Rift S, and hardly ever pick it up anymore. In fact, every friend I know who has a VR set doesn't use it. I'm not sure what it is, but the novelty wore off fast. I absolutely love beat saber and played it a lot, along with Half Life Alyx, but just have no desire at all to play VR games anymore. Weird.
Only two games? Nothing else catches your fancy? Or they do but would rather play them without VR instead? I now have a VR game backlog so big I play 90% VR games (or VR-modded games) and 10% flat games (mainly PSO2 New Genesis, Street Fighter 6 and the ocasional new side scroller metroidvania or shmup.) You could say the novelty of flatscreen games wore off, LOL.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

sunk-cost fallacy

FrankWza

Same for me. The article doesn't even mention GT7, which is bizarre. Pokes holes in the entire article.

Wulfer

Sony literally has to fire 900 people and close a studio because the industry isn't doing well..

Ign: SoNy haZ GiVen UP oN Vr2 durrr...

No shit ign... they clearly can't have any expenses right now that aren't absolutely vital to the business.

I love vr but in their position they clearly have to axe the product if they want to stay in the game.
Maybe should have thought of that before buying Bungie?.?. Just a thought, just a thought!

John Wick

I knew you were going to throw that at us.
So in your mind, a system that had crappy controls, masively overpriced storage, and a weak catalog of games that were nothing like the main successful console is exactly the same thing as a new machine with day and date all games on the main platform? (Including most or all 3rd party)

Don't know what to say other than you are comparing to massively different scenarios.
Having the same architecture and scalability changes the entire game.

And that's not even touching the hybrid nature of any portable sony might release, considering it will no doubt easily hook to a tv like the switch, making it more attractive to potential buyers than prior handhelds. (Part of the reason switch sold so well)
You making those excuses for why Vita failed doesn't change the fact Sony designed and released that failure. It's all so simple in hindsight. Why haven't Sony been so eager to release another dedicated handheld then if it's as simple as you say? Clearly you know better than Sony. I'm amazed why they have Cerny when clearly you know better about the market, research and development, costs and games.
Do you think the Steamdeck is approaching Switch numbers launches aligned??????

THE DUCK

You making those excuses for why Vita failed doesn't change the fact Sony designed and released that failure. It's all so simple in hindsight. Why haven't Sony been so eager to release another dedicated handheld then if it's as simple as you say? Clearly you know better than Sony. I'm amazed why they have Cerny when clearly you know better about the market, research and development, costs and games.
Do you think the Steamdeck is approaching Switch numbers launches aligned??????

So actual reasons why it failed are irrelevant? That's very convenient to your arguement.

As to releasing a portable, I'm sure it's being considered even now. As far as timing goes, it hasn't been until recently (last year or two) that they would be considering it as they didn't want two seperate ecosystems vs just a downscaled vs of the same games. Just because you've ignored the reasons they failed before doesn't mean they have to.

As to steam deck, just exactly how many units do you expect a handheld to sell with no retail presence, no advertising, and no exclusive aaa titles whatsoever? It's done really well considering

John Wick

Why are you talking about Sales Records? Why are you mentioning other VR devices?

You keep on proving my point. Just grasping at straws.

And since that's the route you chose with your response. There's nothing more to be said.
Sales records?
It's amusing how some Sony fans love nothing more than comparing sales figures to Series consoles yet aren't overly keen when it comes to Switch.
For PSVR2 to be successful it needs to sell. why isn't PSVR2 competing with other headsets for consumers money? For companies to make quality games they need a good sized install base. You see where this is going???
Yes I'm grasping at straws. Sony released PSVR2. So it's their job to provide the compelling software so people will buy it and then release a steady stream of software to keep people engaged with it.

Last edited:

John Wick

So actual reasons why it failed are irrelevant? That's very convenient to your arguement.

As to releasing a portable, I'm sure it's being considered even now. As far as timing goes, it hasn't been until recently (last year or two) that they would be considering it as they didn't want two seperate ecosystems vs just a downscaled vs of the same games. Just because you've ignored the reasons they failed before doesn't mean they have to.

As to steam deck, just exactly how many units do you expect a handheld to sell with no retail presence, no advertising, and no exclusive aaa titles whatsoever? It's done really well considering
The reasons why it failed were down to Sony. Maybe they don't understand the handheld market as well as Nintendo?
Again that's down to Valve isn't it? Do you think Sony will be happy to achieve Steamdeck numbers or Switch like numbers???
If your going to have a handheld which just plays PS5 games scaled down then your sales are going to be low just like the Deck.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
Sony and Steam working together would be the dream. Games should be compatible with the new hardware and it would be easier for the VR devs and gamers. Sony can also take a Apple Pro Vision approach and make their VR headset great for watching movies and interact with PlayStation/Windows/SteamOS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The Deck struggles greatly with actual current-gen games. What it does well is play PS4 games at 720p. That wouldn't be good enough for a "portable PS5".

Only two games? Nothing else catches your fancy? Or they do but would rather play them without VR instead? I now have a VR game backlog so big I play 90% VR games (or VR-modded games) and 10% flat games (mainly PSO2 New Genesis, Street Fighter 6 and the ocasional new side scroller metroidvania or shmup.) You could say the novelty of flatscreen games wore off, LOL.
I did try some other stuff but again, after the novelty of VR wore off I just wasn't really feeling any of the games. Maybe i'll dust my headset off one day and give it another bash though.

I mean, I'm having a blast on my psvr2. Guess I'm in the minority
I most probably would enjoy my time with it too, but I won't buy it until some things happen. At least some of these: PC compatibility, price reduction or free GT7+RE4 bundled, VR1 compatibility which naturally becomes less and less relevant, steady first party games announcements (is even one wip now?!), more VR-too games, a requirement forcing every game to have at least a 3D cinema mode or some minor VR gallery as an alibi VR support (basically drop your asset in some Sony provided VR-viewer), cooperation and exclusives sharing with Meta.
Until some of that happens, it won't feel like good value with most VR-hits looking like they only succeed because the convinced disciples are dying to buy anything.

THE DUCK

The reasons why it failed were down to Sony. Maybe they don't understand the handheld market as well as Nintendo?
Again that's down to Valve isn't it? Do you think Sony will be happy to achieve Steamdeck numbers or Switch like numbers???
If your going to have a handheld which just plays PS5 games scaled down then your sales are going to be low just like the Deck.

Nintendo doesn't walk on water, they happened to launch a high quality portable hybrid when none existed along with some great software.

Of course Sony would not be happy with steam deck numbers, they would have far more at stake than valve and huge portfolio of exclusive games. You do realize it's software that moves hardware, not the other way around, right?

Why would a handheld that plays tons of AAA games day and date with its non portable hardware, backed by most gamers favorite brand sell the same as steam deck? That's absurd. Most casual gamers haven't even heard of the steam deck but know and trust playstation for gaming. Plus it would be launched at retail and have a proper advertising campaign.

I own and love my oled steam deck but to suggest a ps portable woukd sell the same is backed by nothing.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

The Deck struggles greatly with actual current-gen games. What it does well is play PS4 games at 720p. That wouldn't be good enough for a "portable PS5".

2 years later and advances in tech plus cerny wizardry (walks on water I'm told) means ps5 is with reach at this time.

Nevadatan

Damn, does this mean they will speed up PC compatibility? because the VR2 is a deal for the tech it packs.
and im looking to replace my Lelnovo Explorer before Microsoft kills WMR for good later this year.

John Wick

Nintendo doesn't walk on water, they happened to launch a high quality portable hybrid when none existed along with some great software.

Of course Sony would not be happy with steam deck numbers, they would have far more at stake than valve and huge portfolio of exclusive games. You do realize it's software that moves hardware, not the other way around, right?

Why would a handheld that plays tons of AAA games day and date with its non portable hardware, backed by most gamers favorite brand sell the same as steam deck? That's absurd. Most casual gamers haven't even heard of the steam deck but know and trust playstation for gaming. Plus it would be launched at retail and have a proper advertising campaign.

I own and love my oled steam deck but to suggest a ps portable woukd sell the same is backed by nothing.
Yes your right Nintendo don't walk on water and just stumbled by accident in making their portables a success. Just pure luck since the Gameboy to the Switch.
So what proof have you got that a Sony portable would do Switch like numbers?
The Vita was a failure and quickly abandoned by Sony.
You keep on harping on about how it easy it would be to make and sell one but yet it's cost that would be huge factor in the portables success. I don't see Sony releasing one for less than £450-500. Which would then limit it's appeal.

VR still requires way too much effort, think about it. End of a working day are you really going to want to put a VR headset on?

The market is still way too small even if every poor owns a meta quest.

Top Bottom