• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recroom devs 'Can't Justify' PlayStation VR2 Release-- Gamerant

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's dead. MS sold more Xbox systems in Japan than Sony did PSVR2 on Amazon in the same time span.

Based on the data we’ve collected we can see that Quest had a pretty good holiday season with Meta selling at least 320,000 headsets on Amazon US alone between November 16th and January 16th. On the other hand, PSVR 2 sold only around 10,500 on Amazon US during that time.

Quest 2(128GB):100000+
Quest 2(256GB):30000+
Quest 3(128GB):50000+
Quest 3 (512GB):20000+
PS VR2 (基础版):3000+
PS VR2 (套装版):2000+

Last edited:
Nah, it's selling better than PSVR1. Maybe when they decided to make the other version they didn't know VR is that niche. As a reference, PSVR dominates non-standalone VR, and has around a third of the total VR userbase.

True.

PSVR2 is selling as Sony estimated, better than PSVR1 and were already happy with PSVR1 sales. It also has a bigger and better software support for its first year than PSVR had.

Theres no reason to discontinue it.
this, most people are not seeing it and sony has been very silent about the upcoming games, but good games keep releasing for it.

Games sales need to be high though to justify, they might have a decent enough market share but a lot might be collecting dust like those Kinects or used for special cases like Gran Turismo, a bit similar to early VR PC and head tracking stuff.

It's nice to have a peripheral on console and some users can dabble in VR but really it's a long journey of trucking along on PC. Sony created a good second unit that needed to be compatible with PC.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not that easy, it's a completely different input system, no external camera, no controller light to track. It's impossible to have a one button conversion, everything needs to be reworked.
Of course it isn't easy. That's why Sony should invest in tools to help do it. There absolutely is a controller light for the PSVR2 cameras in the headset to track. It's just infrared so you can't see it.

The first PSVR's tracking system was rudimentary, but at the most basic level the principle is the same as PSVR2. The camera and lights are used to calculate the location of the controllers in a 3D space and translate the location into input for the game. The PSVR2's external cameras are tracking infrared light emitting from the controllers with the cameras in the headset to do pretty much the same thing.

If Valve can create software that allows games made for Windows to run on Linux in real time on the Steam Deck, and Apple can get software written for x86 running on their ARM chips in real time on Mac computers, then Sony could absolutely get some of their smart engineers to do some math and develop algorithms for translating the input from PSVR2 controllers and cameras into input PSVR games. They just must not think it's worthwhile.

AzekZero

Neo Member
This is the one product Sony shouldve released on the PC. Not their first party games, but an actual hardware that works with both PC and PS.
I just assumed it was a cross platform peripheral.

Never crossed my mind they would just chop the legs off this thing like that.

Hero_Select

PSVR2 has been so disappointing. The tech is great and it has some great exclusives but not being PCVR compatible killed any reason for me to get it over the Quest 3.. which has been amazing.

MarkMe2525

PSVR2 performing better than PSVR1 in the only worldwide PSVR2 sales number we have to compare:

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/business_segment_meeting/pdf/2023/presen_E.pdf

PSVR having a third of the market share, and most of the non-standalone:
Global-XR-market-share-Q3-2023.jpg

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/insights/global-xr-ar-vr-headsets-market-share/

getfile.dyn

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS50776923

FAX-z7lXIAk6ytA.jpg:large

Now go and ask for links to all the people in the thread who say it's doomed.
Ask my why these charts don't mean what you think they mean.

You mean the chart showing 6 weeks after launch?
Some of You really want the device to die. Remember it has been less than a year that it released. Vr2 users are enjoying it, vertigo 2, ultrawings 2 released very recently.
And Sony has been very silent about PS5 in general.

Ozzie666

Sony themselves don't appear very comitted to the hardware, why should anyone else be? Sony can barely keep up with games on PS5.
They aren't wrong on most, if not all accounts.

Will Sony give it another crack with a PSVR3? or is this it. I'm not even sure why they bothered making it, if they were going to Vita it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
PSVR2 hardware is decent, it is the software side that lets it down.

-the promised revised reprojection fix has not arrived.
-no dedicated social apps (such as recroom, vr chat,bigscreen)
-missing 3D movie support and DLNA streaming of content
-creative apps like sculptVR, tiltbrush, google earth absent.
-no VR 'home' space like other HMDs.

You forgot the most important thing, actual exclusive AAA games after launch.

Anyhow, Sony would be rolling in cash (again) if they had just launched a playstation portable instead with day and date games with ps5 titles.

Anyhow, Sony would be rolling in cash (again) if they had just launched a playstation portable instead with day and date games with ps5 titles.
very few first party games released for psvr1 too, the few ones they released weren't AAA. Third party support was decent, same for vr2.

Three

Resident Evil 4 launched just this December, we're in January.

I don't get why people are trying hard to say it's dead based on a f2p game not getting ported. It's just that the economics don't work there. You're not going to get a lot of add on content sales from that install base. Still doesn't excuse Sony being this dumb with compatibility being non-trivial.

Sakura

Nah, it's selling better than PSVR1. Maybe when they decided to make the other version they didn't know VR is that niche. As a reference, PSVR dominates non-standalone VR, and has around a third of the total VR userbase.

True.

PSVR2 is selling as Sony estimated, better than PSVR1 and were already happy with PSVR1 sales. It also has a bigger and better software support for its first year than PSVR had.

Theres no reason to discontinue it.
How can you claim PSVR2 is selling better than the first one, when we literally only have 6 weeks of data?
And said data isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... It's not that easy, it's a completely different input system, no external camera, no controller light to track. It's impossible to have a one button conversion, everything needs to be reworked.
Impossible is a strong word. APIs were invented to solve this problem decades and decades ago. Knowing their Eyetoy-retro-fit was so bespoke, Sony should've been forward thinking to ensure the long term health of their platform. Instead, it offloaded the work onto developers. And so we arrive at the current scenario: porting a popular game with sustained legs to the next generation VR peripheral of the most popular console platform isn't something than can be "justified". That should be of a concern, because we've been here before.

THE DUCK

I don't get why people are trying hard to say it's dead based on a f2p game not getting ported. It's just that the economics don't work there. You're not going to get a lot of add on content sales from that install base. Still doesn't excuse Sony being this dumb with compatibility being non-trivial.

The game is 19 years old. What's the next AAA exclusive sony title coming out?
Since launch, how many psvr2 sony exclusive AAA titles have been released?

Last edited:

Three

The game is 19 years old. What's the next AAA exclusive sony title coming out?
Since launch, how many psvr2 sony exclusive AAA titles have been released?
How many has released on any other headset? RE4 Remake isn't 19yrs old dude. That's kind of funny considering you're in a thread about an old 2016 indie chat/game room app not being ported.

PSVR2 in less than a year had GT7, Horizon:Call or the mountain, Dark Pictures:Switchback VR, Firewall Ultra, RE Village, and RE4R. The sony qualifier you just added is irrelevant. They've even said it would be driven mostly by third party indies and arguably all headsets are anyway. Sony need to do a better job of supporting them by making porting old PSVR1 games easier though.

R6Rider

Gold Member

It's the same anti-PSVR2 and FUD that was happening even before it launched.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It ain't dead. But it ain't healthy, either. The only reason I've picked up mine in months is for RE4 VR - which was fucking amazing, but has literally been the only thing worth buying for a long time.

I am not interested in VR 'experiences' or short-ass tech demos masquerading as games, or Beat Saber. I want full length, narrative driven games with a high level of immersion, story telling and environmental detail.

PSVR2 has absolutely shit the bed on providing these things. That's why it's probably going to die. You can't sustain VR on shallow 'gee whizz, ain't VR swell' crap.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

How many has released on any other headset? RE4 Remake isn't 19yrs old dude. That's kind of funny considering you're in a thread about an old 2016 indie chat/game room app not being ported.

PSVR2 in less than a year had GT7, Horizon:Call or the mountain, Dark Pictures:Switchback VR, Firewall Ultra, RE Village, and RE4R. The sony qualifier you just added is irrelevant. They've even said it would be driven mostly by third party indies and arguably all headsets are anyway. Sony need to do a better job of supporting them by making porting old PSVR1 games easier though.

Re4 remake is a redo of a 19 year old game.
I played it on my gamecube. Great game, but ancient with a new skin. It's not new.

The Sony qualifier is not irrelevant, it's thier hardware and they should be supporting it with exclusive software. And other than gt7 and horizon at launch, they have now failed spectacularly at showing ps5 customers they are serious about supporting psvr2.

Ports of old games, older games from other vr sysyems, remakes, and firewall ultra don't cut it. I mean firewall ultra has an average user score of 4.3 and critic score of 6.1. Switchback a metascore of 6.4. It's just knowhere near enough for $550 hardware for most people to care. Psvr1 games won't move the needle either.

And to qualify, I'm not saying psv2 isn't great hardware, or that there isn't a small group of great and good games. But it's not enough.
To be fair, quest 3 suffers some of this same problem but mitigates some of it due to its stand alone nature, pc compatibility, and better 3rd party support.

Vr won't truely take off anyhow until the hardware is more refined, it's getting there step by step. Hopefully once it does, someone will step up with actual sustained exclusive 1st party support.

Last edited:
Re4 remake is a redo of a 19 year old game.
I played it on my gamecube. Great game, but ancient with a new skin. It's not new.

The Sony qualifier is not irrelevant, it's thier hardware and they should be supporting it with exclusive software. And other than gt7 and horizon at launch, they have now failed spectacularly at showing ps5 customers they are serious about supporting psvr2.

Ports of old games, older games from other vr sysyems, remakes, and firewall ultra don't cut it. I mean firewall ultra has an average user score of 4.3 and critic score of 6.1. Switchback a metascore of 6.4. It's just knowhere near enough for $550 hardware for most people to care. Psvr1 games won't move the needle either.

And to qualify, I'm not saying psv2 isn't great hardware, or that there isn't a small group of great and good games. But it's not enough.
To be fair, quest 3 suffers some of this same problem but mitigates some of it due to its stand alone nature, pc compatibility, and better 3rd party support.

Vr won't truely take off anyhow until the hardware is more refined, it's getting there step by step. Hopefully once it does, someone will step up with actual sustained exclusive 1st party support.
No, the resident evil remakes are very different to the originals. That is like saying resident evil 2 remake is the same as the 1998 one, lol.
Remember that psvr2 is less than a year, Even consoles in year 1 are dry.

Last edited:

Baki

PSVR2 performing better than PSVR1 in the only worldwide PSVR2 sales number we have to compare:

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/business_segment_meeting/pdf/2023/presen_E.pdf

VR2 was heavily front loaded, we can see from Spain and other territories that sales fell off a cliff after the first 2 weeks. Actually Sony own numbers show us that launch was 450K and 6 weeks later it only increased by 100K to reach 550K. Those numbers are far too small of an install base to support healthy sw sales for a developer. Quest platform 20M+ users.

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/insights/global-xr-ar-vr-headsets-market-share/
No idea on the source of their data but according to their data that Q3 was one of the lowest quarters for overall hardware sales for VR.

Your link gives this graph

getfile.dyn

Which talks about a 50% decline in total sales during the same quarter VR2 launched and had a 30+% market share, which as highlighted earlier , was frontloaded and represented the majority of VR2 current LTD.

Now go and ask for links to all the people in the thread who say it's doomed

This graph are projections made by a random analyst in 2020 that ended up being hilariously wrong. This graph is
PSVR2 hardware is decent, it is the software side that lets it down.

-the promised revised reprojection fix has not arrived.
-no dedicated social apps (such as recroom, vr chat,bigscreen)
-missing 3D movie support and DLNA streaming of content
-creative apps like sculptVR, tiltbrush, google earth absent.
-no VR 'home' space like other HMDs.

It was DOA as soon as they announced it was wired and wasn’t standalone.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Some of You really want the device to die. Remember it has been less than a year that it released. Vr2 users are enjoying it, vertigo 2, ultrawings 2 released very recently.
And Sony has been very silent about PS5 in general.
Why would I want it to fail?

Playstation has been announcing sales of their consoles multiple times a year.

No one said it didn’t sell decently out of the gate. But since then there has been silence. No numbers reported. No 1st party support. That’s really disappointing and a shame.

When you invest $500 dollars behind a product you’d expect the company that put it out to support it better.

demigod

It seems they want Sony to pay in advance.
They ported it to PSVR1 and are going to port it to Apple new 3.500$ headset, but now PSVR2 sales are the issue...

It's not that easy, it's a completely different input system, no external camera, no controller light to track. It's impossible to have a one button conversion, everything needs to be reworked.
Talk about being dumb. PSVR2 first year will outsell Apple’s VR. Like seriously who on GAF are going to pay $3500 for it?

THE DUCK

No, the resident evil remakes are very different to the originals. That is like saying resident evil 2 remake is the same as the 1998 one, lol.
Remember that psvr2 is less than a year, Even consoles in year 1 are dry.

I'm playing through re2 now so I'm pretty aware, it's a cool upgrade and all but at its core is a remix of familiar things. Even if I concede re4 is an "new" AAA game, it's not an exclusive, you can play it on other platforms.
Yes not in vr, but if it's still a great game it's still an option.

The big distinction between consoles and psvr2 isn't the launch lineup, I agree, there is dry spells. But after that, there's tons of announcements of upcoming exclusive first party AAA games. Psvr2 has none.

kungfuian

I still say the idea of making games specific for the platform is a bad idea financially based on the install base alone. Who the hell are you going to sell software to? It's totally a chicken and the egg situation and was guaranteed to be a problem for any system with such a low potential install base (making games for a tiny fraction of the PS5 install base is just bad math).

That said, they could still totally do a better job supporting the platform if they focused on making VR versions/modes for more of their existing games. Sure VR purists will shout that games not designed specifically for the platform aren't really full VR games per say, but I disagree. Some of the best games work for both (GT, RE7, Village, RE4R for example). How hard can it be? We don't need full VR games to make our purchases worth while, just a handful of 1st party ports or games that ship with VR modes to flesh out the software offering. They can't cost that much to make and they'd push the platform along nicely!

Edit- If they really wanted to support the platform they would open a VR port studio or 2 to help make this happen!

Last edited:
I'm playing through re2 now so I'm pretty aware, it's a cool upgrade and all but at its core is a remix of familiar things. Even if I concede re4 is an "new" AAA game, it's not an exclusive, you can play it on other platforms.
Yes not in vr, but if it's still a great game it's still an option.

The big distinction between consoles and psvr2 isn't the launch lineup, I agree, there is dry spells. But after that, there's tons of announcements of upcoming exclusive first party AAA games. Psvr2 has none.
But It has, not AAA, but good games coming yeah.

Fredrik

Well no surprise, should’ve had PC and SteamVR support, same goes for whatever Apple are doing with their luxury thing, next one to bomb

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It seems they want Sony to pay in advance.
They ported it to PSVR1 and are going to port it to Apple new 3.500$ headset, but now PSVR2 sales are the issue...

The port to Apple Vision Pro makes the PSVR2 sales number argument bullshit as the sales of that are soooooo much smaller and will be for a long while.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony has not done a good job with the PS VR 2 software at all. They didn't / couldn't have backwards compatibility with PS VR 1. So they needed to spend even more on porting VR 1 games to VR 2.

They haven't even released Astrobot PS VR 2's version as of yet.

PS VR 2 is an excellent piece of hardware, but they need to do (1) release a lot more exclusive games for it, and (2) market those games better.

Most of the games, too, have been just shadow-drops. They have shadow-dropped like 4-5 games in a single day. They could have easily host a small State of Play for those games.

Meta has been whipping Sony's ass with VR so far.

Neofire

My son loves the psvr2 I blame Sony though for not supporting it like they should.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I need to see psvr 2 vs psvr 1 numbers. I think psvr2 had a strong launch then it literally collapsed.

I need receipts to believe its selling more than psvr1

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wtf does that even mean?
Consumers?
More consumers were satisfied with psvr1 than the ps3?
That comparison makes no sense.

Developers?
PSVR is an accessory, not a main console, so again it makes no sense.
I haven't heard of anyone being uncomfortable developing games for PSVR. It was a good platform for both developers and players. While PS3 was beloved by players, it was a challenging platform for game development. You're the one who initially bring Cell to the table, and I made my comment based on that.

xrnzaaas

Sony hasn't learned any lessons from PSVR1 and in fact they're doing worse, because they've only released Horizon and VR mode for GT7 and didn't try to make the device backwards compatible (by maybe adding the old camera support?).

I'm not a VR expert in any way, but from my perspective Quest is doing a much better job at preserving continuity so that people who buy Quest 3 have immediately tons of old games to play (and some of them with "next-gen" upgrades).

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Of course it isn't easy. That's why Sony should invest in tools to help do it. There absolutely is a controller light for the PSVR2 cameras in the headset to track. It's just infrared so you can't see it.

The first PSVR's tracking system was rudimentary, but at the most basic level the principle is the same as PSVR2. The camera and lights are used to calculate the location of the controllers in a 3D space and translate the location into input for the game. The PSVR2's external cameras are tracking infrared light emitting from the controllers with the cameras in the headset to do pretty much the same thing.

If Valve can create software that allows games made for Windows to run on Linux in real time on the Steam Deck, and Apple can get software written for x86 running on their ARM chips in real time on Mac computers, then Sony could absolutely get some of their smart engineers to do some math and develop algorithms for translating the input from PSVR2 controllers and cameras into input PSVR games. They just must not think it's worthwhile.
VRsense controllers have IR but the Dualsense doesn't.
How would you play Astro Bot (that was played with the DS4) with the Dualsense on the PS5 if there is no external camera tracking it or it's light for the flashlight levels?
You have to play with your arms constantly stretched so the controller is in front of the headset?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah. It’s fucked.

I’m selling mine pretty soon.

Massive shame, but they fucked it completely.
Kinda feel in the same boat, then when I get a moment and jump into to play something, it just puts that WOW smile on my bake I just don't get from flat gaming, plus my kids love it but man I really wish Sony would put aside some of that cash and really make a push to get this selling and get some proper games on it with the quality of the Resident Evil, GT7 and Horizon, with their massive backlog of FPS ip's you'd think they'd do something ffs, one that really fucking irks me is Sony is also a massive fucking movie studio and we have no facility to watch a goddamn 3D movie in it, add some social shit, porn anything to make it sell... Also how hard would it be to give us a remaster of Wipeout with waaaaaay better visuals

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

image.png

getfile.dyn

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS50776923

Now go and ask for links to all the people in the thread who say it's doomed.
Graphs don't mean shit when we're not seeing anything other than Meta Ports and complete silence from Sony on their plans for the unit

Top Bottom