• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So You Think You Can Dance S10 |OT| of Hot Tamales and Nip-Slips

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Wow. Did the following for this show dry up that much on GAF? Insane.

Anyway, wife and I think it's very unfair that the guy who WON in Armenia gets to compete on the US show. I imagine its all the same production company behind the international versions.

Wow. Did the following for this show dry up that much on GAF? Insane.
It wasn't much different last year unfortunately. Sorry I was out while it aired.

I wonder what the future of this show will be now that Nigel's already thin ice with the FOX execs has completely melted.

Thin ice? Do tell.
He's being ousted as executive producer of Idol, which was his only bargaining chip to keep So You Think You Can Dance on the air after so many years of viewership erosion. Now that he'll have no position of power, he won't have any standing on which to keep this show running (unless the ratings do a major turn-around, I suppose).

It's sad because Dance, from the talent to the host to (most of the time) the judges, easily trounces every other major talent competition show.

Zoe

Does anybody know the actual audition process? The local affiliate showed an interview last night, and it sounds like there's an initial impromptu screener before the solo stage?

Does anybody know the actual audition process? The local affiliate showed an interview last night, and it sounds like there's an initial impromptu screener before the solo stage?
Most of these types of shows have a preliminary round of auditions that is untelevised and doesn't involve the judges in which a panel of producers takes thousands and thins them to a few hundred. Unlike what shows like Idol depict, the judges don't see all that many people, so that fly-over footage of thousands of people yelling in unison you always see if from the producer rounds.

They get the footage they need from a few choice contestants' hometown and such after these preliminary auditions, and then a few weeks later, they audition for the judges.

Zoe

Most of these types of shows have a preliminary round of auditions that is untelevised and doesn't involve the judges in which a panel of producers takes thousands and thins them to a few hundred. Unlike what shows like Idol depict, the judges don't see all that many people, so that fly-over footage of thousands of people yelling in unison you always see if from the producer rounds.

They get the footage they need from a few choice contestants' hometown and such after these preliminary auditions, and then a few weeks later, they audition for the judges.

The way Nigel was talking, they actually do see the prelims.

Zoe

Here's what he said:
"I love Austin, we've been here many times with American Idol and generally, you get a really good crowd with tons of people," Lythgoe said. "Been a little disappointed this morning to be honest with you. Just nobody's unique enough. We'll see how they get on doing their own thing but this morning they were thrown into it, different piece of music that they knew, they had to improvise , a little disappointed."

Interesting. Could be that the show gets much fewer contestants per city on average because dance is so much more niche than singing, so it's feasible for the judges to personally evaluate everyone.

It's definitely not that way for Idol, though. Former contestants have elaborated on that labyrinthine process in exhaustive detail.

It's also the sexiest show on television.
But as this performance shows, it can go from sexy to creepy in a millisecond XD

It's on
grin.gif

Two hours tonight.

llehuty

I'm watching it
tomorrow morning because... Europe :)

Last week was good, some of them seem like they already fit the profile of the show. However, that dislocation crap and other controversial bullshit has to go. I'm here for the dancing.

Fake edit: Just read previous posts. Hopefully the show is cheap enough to be able to survive more seasons with low audience.

Zoe

Aw man, just read some disappointing spoilers from someone's official site...

The Xcercist got into a really bad car accident in March and had to get major spinal surgery

:(

I thought it was a pretty cool idea to have a battle between the two animators as them dancing for their lives. Too bad it didn't actually mean anything.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

The one hip hopper I cared about withdraws before even stepping on stage :-\

EDIT: WHAT so many flop choices tonight

This elimination format makes no sense. Why cut dancers before they do their routines? Shouldn't that be their "dance for your life" test instead of 30 seconds of unrehearsed mediocrity?

Not to mention that eliminations is the most boring part, so leading the show with a whimper isn't exactly going to reel in new or first-time viewers.

Lots of great choreography tonight so far, especially the Alan/Jasmine routine.

I have to say, though, that the Paul/Makenzie routine was totally overpraised by the judges. Shawn Cheeseman is a hack choreographer, and he's never produced anything memorable on this show. His stuff is all cold, emotionless athletic/acrobatic exhibitions set to the same tired musical track.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ah...here's the thread!

Can we not acknowledge how ludicrously set-up and awesome it was that Amy got Travis frickin-Wall for her "all-star" who happened to be THE premiere choreographer on the program?!

That dance was incredible, and to see Travis dance it himself with her was amazing.

Seriously had me questioning if Travis was seeing anyone because they were definitely lingering on the floor a lot longer than I'd expect post-dance.

Amy should have this season on lock.

Edit: The Dance

Ah...here's the thread!

Can we not acknowledge how ludicrously set-up and awesome it was that Amy got Travis frickin-Wall for her "all-star" who happened to be THE premiere choreographer on the program?!

That dance was incredible, and to see Travis dance it himself with her was amazing.

Seriously had me questioning if Travis was seeing anyone because they were definitely lingering on the floor a lot longer than I'd expect post-dance.

Amy should have this season on lock.

Edit: The Dance
Yep, it was ridiculously unfair to the other contestants haha

But after all those weeks she spent hidden in Fik-Shun's shadow (and undeservedly so, since he's terrible), I'm glad she got her moment in the sun.

RubxQub

Yep, it was ridiculously unfair to the other contestants haha

But after all those weeks she spent hidden in Fik-Shun's shadow (and undeservedly so, since he's terrible), I'm glad she got her moment in the sun.

Something that always sticks out about Fik-Shun is that he at least fully embraces whatever it is the choreographers are trying to get out of him. If they're looking for camp, he brings the camp. If they're looking for ultra-masculinity, he brings it. If they want regal, he brings it.

Obviously technique is nowhere near where it needs to be, but at least as a performer in general, he's clearly a winner.

He held his own with Melanie, I thought!

Zoe

There weren't enough cute guys to keep me interested this season. Have there been any other standout performances so far?

RubxQub

There weren't enough cute guys to keep me interested this season. Have there been any other standout performances so far?

Everyone went nuts for this performance last week, but I thought that Tucker/Robert go out of a sync a bit too heavily in the middle for it to really have the impact it was going for...also kind of felt like a poor-mans Fix You.

...I'm probably alone, but I really liked Nico's hip-hop number from last week a lot...

If you want to see all-star Katherine doing some epic shit while Aaron is kind of a totem pole for her to spin around, this one is good, too:

This is definitely the most unattractive set of finalists I've ever seen on this show.

These three guys need to put a shirt back on NOW

RubxQub

This is definitely the most unattractive set of finalists I've ever seen on this show.

These three guys need to put a shirt back on NOW

I'm finding Amy too cutesy to find hot, although she's got an insanely good body. Jasmine's legs are something that are just nuts. I can't help but feel she's got way more talent than this show lets her showcase.

The girl who isn't Amy or Jasemine is whatever.

Aaron's got this creeper face and Paul/Fikshun are like 80 pounds combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom