• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: All this talk about our earnings is "silly"

On Earnings
"The entertainment industry is one that is inherently unstable and if people decide that they no longer need entertainment anymore then there's no way for you to make money off of that"

"Because of the waves in the entertainment industry and the way the cycles move, personally I feel that aiming for a specific numerical goal is almost silly, and instead our focus should be on doing our best to create something that's new and unique.

“So all of this talk of ‘Oh is Nintendo going to hit its numbers? Is Mr. Iwata responsible?’ and all these discussions I think are just silly ones to have because Mr. Iwata is managing our company and I don't think there's anyone better to manage it than him.

“I'm really focused on creating the most fun and unique experiences I can so that the entertainment can appeal to a very broad audience, and we're having fun doing that. So certainly I think there are other industries where I think their chance to appeal to a broad audience has been lost, but I still think within our industry we have a lot of opportunity to do that.”

On struggling with software
Well, obviously if you speak in terms of simple math you could say that Nintendo should just multiply its development team staff by four times and then everything would be fine, but unfortunately things aren’t quite that easy. Our focus is always on delivering the highest quality content, and simply increasing the development team size isn’t going to allow you to achieve the level of quality that we strive for. You really have to kind of bring those people up gradually and help teach them how to develop games in order to achieve that consistent quality level. So that’s one challenge that we’re always engaging with and one we’re progressing on.

The other is a little bit coincidental in that the hardware jump from DS to 3DS was quite big in terms of the difference between those two [platforms] and it just so happens that that same scale of jump happened from Wii to Wii U, consecutively with those two pieces of hardware. And any time you have a big jump in the hardware technology it certainly takes the teams time to learn that and adjust their development environment in order to adapt to those big changes. So I think gradually as we’re adding more staff and we’re increasing our capabilities… and in the future as the hardware generation change doesn’t result in significant change in the hardware environment or capabilities of the hardware, then what ends up happening is you have a smoother transition, as you saw from the Gamecube to Wii.

On innovation
So this is actually a discussion that I think is tricky to balance, and certainly internally at Nintendo we have people on the teams who say, “Wouldn’t this be better if we created a new IP around it?” But to me, the question of new IP really isn’t whether or not [you have a new character]… I look at it from [the perspective of] what is the gameplay experience in the game you’re playing? For a lot of people, they would say if you take an old game and wrap a new character around it, that’s a new IP, but that game is still old, and the experience is still old. So what we’re doing is we’re always looking at what type of new gameplay experience can we create, and that’s the same for whether we’re playing with one of our existing IPs or we’re doing something new.

Pikmin 3 is a good example; the Pikmin characters were something that were born out of a new gameplay idea when we first came up with that game. We created the gameplay idea first and we decided that the best characters suited for that gameplay idea were Pikmin characters. That’s where the Pikmin IP came from. Similarly, if you look at our booth here, we’re showing it as a showcase of all of Nintendo’s great characters, but in each and every one of those games the gameplay experience is what’s new. So from my perspective, it’s not a question of just how can we create a new character and wrap it around an old game and put that out and call it a new IP. It’s always about starting with a new gameplay idea and a new experience that’s unique from an interactive standpoint and then finding a character that’s best suited with that. In some cases, it may be an existing character, and in some cases it may lead us to a new IP at some point in the future.

On the new Zelda
So it certainly is a better question for Mr. Aonuma but we are working on a new Wii U Zelda ,as we do whenever we work on a new hardware system. Development on the new Wii U Zelda game, we’ve pretty much determined our direction on that and the teams are working hard on that. In fact, we actually did consider showing it at E3 this year but we were worried that if we showed the new Wii U Zelda game then that would attract all of the focus, and really what we want people to be aware of and pay attention to here at E3 are the playable games like Pikmin 3 that we have coming in the immediate future, because a lot of fun is with the games that are coming out this year. So that’s why we decided not to show it this year at E3, but it’s certainly something people can look forward to.

Of course, as I’m sure you’re aware E3 used to be the place where you made all of your big announcements but as we’re seeing more and more, particularly with the advantages we have with the internet, we’re able to make announcements really at any time. So the other thing we didn’t want to do was go through all the news here at E3 – we wanted to be able to have some news to continue to share with consumers over time.

Q: So does that mean Nintendo will tell us more about the new Wii U Zelda later this year?

I think so, maybe. [Laughs] Maybe after we've seen enough people enjoying The Wind Waker HD, then we'll think about sharing something with them about the new Wii U Zelda.

Source

“So all of this talk of ‘Oh is Nintendo going to hit its numbers? Is Mr. Iwata responsible?’ and all these discussions I think are just silly ones to have because Mr. Iwata is managing our company and I don't think there's anyone better to manage it than him.

Yeah so sillly....

Vire

"The entertainment industry is one that is inherently unstable and if people decide that they no longer need entertainment anymore then there's no way for you to make money off of that" Source

It's not that people don't need entertainment anymore. Of course they do.

They just don't want your entertainment.

Glass Rebel

Because of the waves in the entertainment industry and the way the cycles move, personally I feel that aiming for a specific numerical goal is almost silly, and instead our focus should be on doing our best to create something that's new and unique.

As much as I like Nintendo, "new and unique" isn't exactly what I thought during their Nintendo Direct. Not that the others are any better though...

Coconut

Banned
Honestly I was all about it until he said 'our focus should be on creating something new and unique'. So it's a one or the other deal at Nintendo do new stuff or make money, and currently they are doing neither.

solarus

Wait, he says do something new and unique and then all they fucking do is release new entries to the same old IPs they have been running into the ground forever. Nintendo is playing it safe and there's absolutely no denying that, they can't risk failure trying something different, especially with the Wii U's current situation so they are banking on what's worked in the past to save them now.

methodman

Banned
I think Nintendos biggest problem under iwata has been the amount of power Miyamoto has in the company. I love the guy, but he's been holding back games and ideas by younger developers in Nintendo for years.

-Eddman-

Of course I agree with him, but what about the lack of new and unique IPs from Nintendo?

The most original thing for the Wii U so far is Wonderful 101, which is being made by Platinum.

ash_ag

Shiggy knows. Honestly, anyone who thinks there are people who could manage Nintendo better than Iwata aren't paying attention. I think Iwata will bring Nintendo back on track sooner rather than later, but if he doesn't there's no need to sweat it anymore.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gamers being as obsessive as they are about a company's performance and financials really is silly, in the end. I understand the claim that it comes from a place of "I want them to succeed so we get more games" but it's still an unhealthy focus. If we were all shareholders, absolutely. But how many of us actually have a financial horse in this race?

I question whether the level of awareness I have into gaming performance/financials increases or decreases the enjoyment I take from my hobby relative to the late 90s when I didn't know anything about any of it.

Actually, it's not really a hard question.

They nintendo to do something unique, so they release the same IP's for Wii U but in HD?

An IP in and of itself doesn't define the uniqueness or quality of a game's user experience.

Nintendo is all about using existing IPs as a vehicle for new gameplay concepts and experiences...

...as opposed to creating new IPs as a vehicle for existing gameplay concepts...

methodman

Banned
Shiggy knows. Honestly, anyone who thinks there are people who could manage Nintendo better than Iwata aren't paying attention. I think Iwata will bring Nintendo back on track sooner rather than later, but if he doesn't there's no need to sweat it anymore.
I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I disagree. Iwata made a huge success out of the Wii, but he pretty much abandoned it for two whole years. They should have been expanding their teams for HD development. But now we haven't gotten a Nintendo game for almost six freaking months? Retro has taken 3 years on Dkcr 2? C'mon. They should be releasing way more than 1 game every 3 years. This is bullshit.

Tiktaalik

I don't know anything about finance but I wonder: What would it take for Nintendo to take themselves private?

It seems like the stock being in the dumps is a really big distraction to the management, with them always having to be on their toes and defensive about it. You have to wonder if it is affecting their creative decisions at some level.

I think he is right. Obviously he's not talking about share holders, but forums.

Gamers being as obsessive as they are about a company's performance and financials really is silly, in the end. I understand the claim that it comes from a place of "I want them to succeed so we get more games" but it's still an unhealthy focus. If we were all shareholders, absolutely. But how many of us actually have a financial horse in this race?

I question whether the level of awareness I have into gaming performance/financials increases or decreases the enjoyment I take from my hobby relative to the late 90s when I didn't know anything about any of it.

Actually, it's not really a hard question.

Ïgnorance is Strenght

Yawnier

Banned
They are trying their best to create things (games presumably) that are new and unique, but they just portray exactly the opposite if this Nintendo Direct and E3 is anything to base things off of.

They are probably the most conservative game publisher in the entire industry but do they even realize it? Seems like Miyamoto and co. live in their own bubble at Nintendo is what I'm getting from all this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Miyamoto is also to blame for their poor sales, possibly even more so. Honestly he should go along with Iwata, he's an obstacle and no longer a benefit.

ksamedi

It's not that people don't need entertainment anymore. Of course they do.

They just don't want your entertainment.

I'm sure you haven't paid attention to this guys track record but his games sell a lot more then you think. In fact Nintendo as a whole has an absolutely fantastic trackrecord of selling games. People want it.

Coolwhip

Banned
Its like he's sitting in a big playroom full of toys while Nintendo continues to not sell consoles.

Yep, creative people driving your company should be reminded daily that sales are down. Best way to run your company!

Miyamoto should not answer business related questions, Iwata should.

Jamix012

An IP in and of itself doesn't define the uniqueness or quality of a game's user experience.

Nintendo is all about using existing IPs as a vehicle for new gameplay concepts and experiences...

...as opposed to creating new IPs as a vehicle for existing gameplay concepts...

Oh jesus wow, can we be friends?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel that aiming for a specific numerical goal is almost silly, and instead our focus should be on doing our best to create something that's new and unique.

So when are you going to start?

GamerJM

Banned
I'm a huge Nintendo/Miyamoto fan, and I love them all as much as the next guy, but this is a pretty weird statement. I'm just....confused as to how the entertainment industry is "inherently unstable," especially for Nintendo, which is a company whose earnings kind of prove the opposite of that.

Top Bottom