• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U may take inspiration from Skyrim/other Open World games

Volotaire

EG: As part of opening up Zelda games for a new generation, are you looking at any other games for inspiration? Dark Souls, perhaps, or Skyrim?

Aonuma: Skyrim! [For some reason mention of Bethesda's fantasy epic tickles him, and he laughs.] Obviously I play other games, and I'm curious what Zelda fans like about the Skyrim experience. Maybe there are some Zelda fans who are looking for something similar out of a Zelda game.

But I don't look at the technology that made these games possible. I don't look at what's happening in the game, but how it made me feel, what in the game moved me, and how I can bring out those same emotions in players who play my games. My intent isn't to copy them, but those are the things that stay with you as a player

Don't know where else to put this but Aonuma possibly taking some Skyrim influence on Zelda Wii U?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-14-breaking-the-link-to-the-past-zeldas-eiji-aonuma

Salsa

in before "but skyrim was empty and bad so Zelda's gonna suck!"

this doesnt mean Zelda = Skyrim.

this is a good thing.

Meelow

Banned
Thanks for posting this!

Zelda with a huge world with actual explorable forests would be so amazing, gets me hyped just thinking about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Before people meltdown, the think the things people generally identify in Skyrim as the catalyst for their boredom are elements you wouldn't see dragged across into Zelda. Skyrim's boring quest design and combat are two areas the Zelda series already does well enough and shows no sign of changing. Same goes for character design and writing.

Mik2121

What I liked about Skyrim is that I can turn the game off and not play it.

That doesn't even make sense. If you can't see how they could take some actually good ideas from that game, then I'm sorry for you and your lack of imagination.

I love Zelda and also enjoyed Skyrim a lot, so if they took some notes from that game (the way you can go to random dungeons whenever you want, or the big amount of loot, or other things like that) it could be interesting. They are not going to copy the bugs or things like that, so I don't understand why some people cry like this...

Alrus

Lots of kneejerk reactions incoming...

I guess he means the open-world nature of Skyrim, not the rpg-ish side of the game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He didn't say this at all from what you provided. He said he's curious as to why people say Zelda should learn from Skyrim, that's all. This isn't even a thread, he said nothing like what the thread title says he did.

EhoaVash

hope that means a bigger world than TP which is filled this time instead of being a big empty field ...and a lot lot bigger than the JOKE of an overworld Skyward sword had

also build on the RPG system skyward sword had, the upgrading I mean and maybe who knows...Link can go back to using magic again ...>.<

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
''Shit just got real'' - as they say.
I am very excited for this installment in the Zelda series, hopefully this isn't Aonuma talking up the game that will lead to disappointment.

I can only hope.

BRING BACK COOL LINK LIKE SMASH BROS U!!

Salsa

Before people meltdown, the think the things people generally identify in Skyrim as the catalyst for their boredom are elements you wouldn't see dragged across into Zelda. Skyrim's boring quest design and combat are two areas the Zelda series already does well enough and shows no sign of changing. Same goes for character design and writing.

we need to stop this thing of you saying all I wanna say but more eloquently put and much smarter sounding

im all huurrr

Swifty

Yeah, despite how the core mechanics and design of Skyrim and other Bethesda games tend to leave much to desire for, I think the spirit of their games being applied into a Zelda sounds very exciting.

entremet

I don't get Zelda fans. What a paradoxical group. They complain of Zelda being the same, then it irks them when Nintendo tries new approach to a very safe franchise.

Some my favorite Zelda's broke the traditional mold--Zelda 2, Link Awakening, and Majora's Mask.

Branduil

It would be great if they could find a way to combine Skyrim's open world/sandbox with the focused dungeon/puzzle design of Skyward Sword in a seamless way. That would be a preferable way to add length to the game instead of filling it with repetitive quests in the same three areas.

Besides Zelda did the open world thing first anyway.

Linkhero1

I don't get Zelda fans. What a paradoxical group. The complain of Zelda being the same, then it irks them when Nintendo tries new approach to a very safe franchise.

It's the cycle of life.

To be fair. I've never complain about a Zelda game until I complete it. :p

Yagharek

I don't get Zelda fans. What a paradoxical group. The complain of Zelda being the same, then it irks them when Nintendo tries new approach to a very safe franchise.

Some my favorite Zelda's broke the traditional mold--Zelda 2, Link Awakening, and Majora's Mask.

Skyrim is a terrible act to follow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What did Skyrim do that's so good? I didn't play it because I was warned not to play it if I liked New Vegas.

It had an open world with lots of quests and great graphics. Other than that it was a failure. The quests themselves were dull and the gameplay left a lot to be desired. The combat sucked donkeyballs, the magic was an afterthought and the stealth was a joke. Why it got such high scores I will never understand.

Skyrim is first-person, too.

It could be third person as well.

RobertC

Banned
zelda mod for skyrim, aw yeah

3216-2-1323516897.jpg

Syf

Banned
I'd love to see a less linear approach to a Zelda game. Definitely has the potential to be great in my opinion.

Linkhero1

It had an open world with lots of quests and great graphics. Other than that it was a failure. The quests themselves were dull and the gameplay left a lot to be desired. The combat sucked donkeyballs and the stealth was a joke. Why it got such high scores I will never understand.

Sounds very underwhelming. I hope Anouma is referring to the scale of the Skyrim rather than specific aspects of the game.

Zenaku

Only if they use Monolith Soft's engine. Monolith helped out with SS, so I'd hope there's a good chance there.

Top Bottom