• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I live with the most disgusting person on earth. (Long ass ranting))

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
A little background before I go into detail. (this is mainly just because I feel the need to vent)

I was born in this house, I was raised in this house, I hate this house and it holds terrible terrible memories, I love this house and it has great memories. It has alot of sentimental value to me and I want it to one day be a family house filled with happy people.

About 4 and a half years ago, my aunt passed away. She was in bad shape ever since my grandma passed away from colon cancer in 2001 and her being a nurse thought she knew better about her health than anyone else, fell into an alcoholic binge for 10 years neglecting her own health. She passed away from complications resulting from diabetes, liver failure, cirhosis, and other ailments she never took care of. In her final days she was completely bedridden and swollen from fluids leaking from her internal organs, as well as had to have her foot amputated.

I was living on my own at the time, going to college and culinary school. I felt bad that she was being taken care of by my brother and uncle in her house alone, they are the reason I'm writing this. I visited every weekend to check up on my aunt, but I dreaded going or being there because I knew all I would be doing was cleaning, cooking, cleaning, cleaning and being throughly disgusted.

If you ever watched one of those hoarder shows, you would be familiar with how the house looked, only instead of things it was just filled completely with trash, beer cans, maggots, dog shit on the wooden floors INSIDE the house that was never cleaned, and several corners of the house they would often just straight out piss on the floor and cover with a towel or dirty clothing. My brother and uncle have no sense of hygiene or proper health care to the point that one weekend I came over to put some fresh bandages on her amputated foot and found her entire leg covered in ants. I immediately cleaned and disinfected it, called the ambulence and even though she cried and begged me to not to, I had to have her put in a nursing home where she could get proper treatment and care. She would not talk to me for months and would curse me out whenever I visited her for putting her there, but I didn't know what else to do.

When she passed away I had to make a choice, I was put in charge of her finances, I was the one paying the mortgage and bills for the house every month, I was the one that cleaned it every weekend and bought groceries for my uncle and brother and my aunt told me before she passed that she trusted me to care for my brother, uncle and mother. I had to move back in to my old house. This wasn't an easy decision. But I had no choice.

However I moved into the house on my terms, and I determined that one day I could make a profit on it, however in the state that it was in I would not make any money on it all. I had to fix it up as best I could.

After three and some years I've made the best progress I possibly could on my own with my own hands.

Here's the results

076.jpg

The entire roof and facing beams were rotted from over 100 years of weather and rain, I added a support beam to the roof on the far left because it's very weak and put in the new red planks, The balcony covered by the tarp is a WIP, but at least it's sealed now so it doesnt leak a gallon of water when it rains onto the living room below.

The entire porch was filled to bursting with old rotted and broken furniture and was also being used as a makeshift dumpster, when they were to lazy to actually use the trashcans, It's been cleaned up and I actually found a pool table under all the mess, and sanded and varnished the cabinet to the left and the old baby rocker near it.

The kitchen had to be gutted completely, the amount of decay it held was unbearable. The original cupboards and shelves were infested with insects and rat droppings, The original ceramic tiled floors were cracked and caked with dirt. I've installed new wooden floors, fixed the cracked ceiling and added mini flood lights, and an actual vent over the oven. A new sink, an island and sink and granite countertops.

I had to tear up the original wooden floor from the entire bottom level of the house, they were rotted and warped so bad that you had to be careful how you stepped or you would trip yourself. Every shiney part of wood shelving, edge, corner and beam you seen was hand sanded and hand varnished by me, (good workout). I had the wooden shutters custom built and finished them myself and installed some cieling fans.

I'm very proud of the dining room, I found a really really awesome table and set of chairs underneath the piles of garbage in the house, cleaned it and re did the chairs and it looks amazing in the dining room. All the dark bits of wood were sanded and done here as well, including the walls and built in cupboards. The dining room cieling was completely caved in and the three lights were hanging by 100 year old electric cords, the reason the cieling caved in was due to the large of amounts of urine from the upstairs bathroom surrounding the foundation of the toilet bowl since no one could be bothered to actually piss in the toilet, it built up underneath the floorboards and led to the entire cieling collapsing.

I wont go into detail on what the bottom floor bathroom looked like, I'm pretty sure you can imagine. I'm extremely proud of this section of the house. Most people say it doesnt fit the aesthetic of the house but I love it because i think it's pretty cool looking. I gutted the entire bathroom from the ground up and replaced everything with slate, I found a jacuuzi tub and sink at a junk yard for $30 each, cleaned it and installed it and I'm happy with it.

Now on to the title of the thread.

I still feel a little lightheaded after I've ventured into my uncles room, wearing latex gloves a face mask I still felt sick. The stench is like something that's comparable to ammonia and rotting flesh. The floor was crawling with maggots and ants. Every other week or so, I have to come into this room to retrieve whatever plates, glasses, bowls and utensils that are salvagable, the rest are thrown away because whatever is left in or on them is too disgusting to even try and clean. He is a walking biohazard, and I mean this literally. His clothes are constantly covered in feces and blood and piss. He never showers and his face is always bleeding and filled with scabs he constantly picks at. We've had doctors make house calls, we've had police, social workers, fire departments and ambulence called and talked to him to get him help, clean and healthy and he refuses every time. when it gets really bad to the point where he's moaning for an ambulence, taken to a hospital and forced to eat real food, vitamins, fluids, put on dialisis and given fresh new clean blood and cleaned up by a nurse. He refuses any further treatment or medication and asks to go home and they let him. Two days later the cycle starts over again until his body breaks down again we rush him to the hospital by force two months later, over and over.

right now I'm boiling all the stuff that should be safe to use in vinegar and dish soap and salt. I had to throw away two nice dinner plates, two bowls and special christmas dinner platter he stole from the wooden cupboard because he cant be bothered to wash anything.

remember the nice dining room? well It was nice, until he decided it was easier to just piss on the floors in his room. Now this is actually the third time I've had to replace the cieling in the dining room. It constantly caves in not because of plumbing issues, nope...it caves in all the time because he just pisses on the floor upstairs as he pleases. and currently it looks like I'm going to have to replace it again because he's still doing it.

It's unpainted because I just finished it at the end of last month, but as soon as I saw the yellow stains I gave up.

This month his room is actually alot cleaner than it was previously, no ants this time but a shit ton of maggots crawling over the floor. Blood all over his blankets and bed. Oh and two buckets I used to use for painting filled to the brim with bloody piss. The little white things are maggots. The floor is entirely plywood from last month when I had to fix the cieling in the dining room, the floor in his room was rotted from the piss to the point where it was also caving in. It's more sturdy the original wooden floor and it's seems to soak up the majority of the urine when he misses the buckets.

I'm pretty sure from the pictures you can guess what his main problem is. He used to work for a hospital as an organ courrier, but he had a DUI on the job. They suspended him and asked him to spend a week in AA and he would get his job back. He refused even to spend one hour in AA has been jobless for the past 14 years. The pictures of the room is the light version of what the entire house looked like before I started to fix it up.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sounds like a very very tough situation. Hope things turn out okay.

Has your uncle been examined for mental illnesses?

Wow. Oh god. :( I feel really, really bad for you OP.

I think I'm going to be sick. I'd never, ever be able to live with someone like that.

The amount of work you put into the house is amazing, though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Forgive me for sounding harsh, but your description makes it sound like the family was 100% broken and dysfunctional. And practically feral.

Is the uncle the last other person in the house? I'm not sure what one could do with that other than eviction. This degree of behavior makes it seem as if the alcoholism is a symptom of a fundamentally damaged person, rather than the cause.

Hachimaki

My god. You're putting up with a lot and it's amazing the progress you've made on the house. I can just imagine based on your descriptions that it was way, way worse.

Living like that, the guy is not long for this world man. Hang in there and you will soon be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Kinvara

People actually live like that? wtf.

It looks like a beautiful home and it's a shame it was neglected in such a manner. You've done a phenomenal job cleaning up so far but it sounds like your brother has mental health issues that need to be looked at. Even healthy animals don't eliminate where they sleep.

Also, who's the head in one of the pictures?

Haribo

Banned
Yeah, this is fucked. You've done a great, great job on the place and it looks beautiful apart from the obvious: I'd get the uncle sent to a mental institution or something, he wouldn't be living with me.

Jackpot

Banned
He. obviously needs round-the-clock professional help. You can't have him committed or put in a home? Otherwise he'll have a slow painful death like your aunt almost did, and you'll also hate him for it.

You've clearly gone beyond what most people would have done in tolerating them and restoring the house. It's ok not to be their mother/nurse/maid for the rest of their lives. You're past filial obligations.

Holy shit man that's some hills have eyes shit I'm sorry to say

Btw did you fix up that house yourself? Or did you hire a contractor? Because it's impressive work man. Are you in construction?

joe2187

Banned
I'm a horrible person but the house is in your name yes? Kick them the fuck out. That isn't even animal behaviour.

I actually have been playing paperwork with the local court and the mortgage company as well for the last 3 years since she didnt leave a will, This thursday I have a hearing at the probate court to actually finalize things in my name as well as try and get power of attorney over my uncle.

Sounds like a very very tough situation. Hope things turn out okay.

Has your uncle been examined for mental illnesses?

He's sharp as hell so the only issue is stubborness and alcoholism, every time the ambulence or police come he's always smart enough to give the right answers that he's lucid and in his right mind.

Forgive me for sounding harsh, but your description makes it sound like the family was 100% broken and dysfunctional. And practically feral.

Is the uncle the last other person in the house? I'm not sure what one could do with that other than eviction. This degree of behavior makes it seem as if the alcoholism is a symptom of a fundamentally damaged person, rather than the cause.

Oh no, that is true. My uncle and brother are the particulary bad cases. All of the other relatives avoid us like the plague because of their awful attitude and disgusting behavoir.

Although I believe this family in particular struggles badly with alcoholism, which is why I've never touched the stuff.

he needs help, you need help. dude, you're a saint, you're like, an actually well and truly good human being. but you can't keep doing this. he needs to be out of the house ASAP.

First up, amazing job on completely fixing the house, it looks great and you should be proud. You should also be proud of yourself for looking after your family up until this point, but this shit has to stop. Regardless of what some people might say, you do not have an obligation to continue to put up with this disgusting behavior from your uncle. He doesn't respect you or your property, and quite frankly, doesn't deserve any of the help you're providing him.

If it was me, he would have been out a long time ago. It's up to you what you want to do now OP, just remember it isn't your obligation to care for this man.

Koomaster

You did an amazing job on the house; it really shows. But good LORD I'm sorry but your Uncle needs to go by any means necessary. Is the deed in his name or anything? If not, get him out. Or even if it is, hire a lawyer. This man obviously can't care for himself, and you can't care for him 24/7 either. I'm not sure why social workers won't do anything if you've called them. He needs full time nursing care.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You aren't the help your uncle needs. Get him committed or something man. This life is not right for you or him. If he is mentally unstable this is just sick.

javac

You did a fucking amazing job on everything but I feel really sad that it's looking to be all in vain unless something drastic is done.

joe2187

Banned
Holy shit man that's some hills have eyes shit I'm sorry to say

Btw did you fix up that house yourself? Or did you hire a contractor? Because it's impressive work man. Are you in construction?

About half and half, I get a discount from working with the contractors because I offered to help instead of hiring another worker. The bathroom was done by a contractor who cut up the slate and I helped him set and seal it. All of the finishing on the wood was done by me by hand, sanding every corner of every beam and wooden corner was a pain in the ass and took nearly a year in itself. The floor as well I did by myself, while some of the painting was done by a contractor.

You did an amazing job on the house; it really shows. But good LORD I'm sorry but your Uncle needs to go by any means necessary. Is the deed in his name or anything? If not, get him out. Or even if it is, hire a lawyer. This man obviously can't care for himself, and you can't care for him 24/7 either. I'm not sure why social workers won't do anything if you've called them. He needs full time nursing care.

The house belongs half to my mother and half to my uncle, we're trying to get him to sign off his ownership of the house this thursday so we can get a loan modification from the mortgage company, otherwise we're in danger of losing the house to a mortgage loan that is 99% interest.

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh man... that sunk cost. Can't abandon house now, if you do, it'll just return to its feral state.

But man alive, how much work have you done only to have to keep redoing it because of your feral uncle?

And how the hell did they get like this in the first place?

Great job on the house!!!!!

If it means anything I would have let them die in their own feces and burned it down
afterwards for the insurance money.

Cipherr

what the FU!? Wow... dude.. I feel really sorry for you. I was expecting the Title to be an exaggeration, but you have a guy freely pissing in buckets and all over the floor......

Seanspeed

Banned
That was difficult to read. And it sounds like your uncle has some severe mental issues rather than just being some slob. What is he like as a person beyond his hygeine?

Derwind

Yeah my Dad was pretty similar, unlike you though I never really had the patience to deal with the shit.

Btw, the Reno looks awesome, you should be proud.

gotoadgo

Those last few pictures make me feel a little sick, I have no idea how you're cleaning that stuff and putting up with it. I agree with what others have said though, it seems like he needs help you can't provide and it's time to find it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Goddamn. The house looks great, and you're a WAY better person than I am. I wish you the best of luck. You're a good person.

Omfg omfg the last photos are digusting, i feel like i am sick right now. Do no buy food anymore. Starve him until he left the house or,well, left the house permanently.

Damn bro. It's fathers day and all but, happy doing all the work and keeping your family in a stable environment and bearing the burden of family patriarch day. My hats off to you friend.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You are a saint OP. I would have given up a long time ago. There isn't anyone that can help you out with the situation?

Could you line his floor with rubber, water-tight? My nan had her bathroom made into one big shower. It seems like it would be cheaper than swapping out a floor every time he rots out the wood. It's not ideal but but It's better than the current cycle.

What has been the reaction to it when you confront him on it?

lunchtoast

That bathroom looks amazing, as does everything else you worked on, great job. I can't say what to do about your uncle though...

You need to either throw him in fucking hardcore rehab, have him committed and forced to get professional help, or throw him out.

This is fucked up.

First off, great work on the house looks nice. Those last two pics were nauseating though. Your uncle hasn't worked for 14 years so where is he getting money for beer?

I physically gagged at that last picture and the buckets of piss.

I hope that you can get power of attorney over your uncle, he's mentally ill.

Your house looks great, it really does. I hope that this all works out for you in the end.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You have the chance to turn a shit hole into a nice place to live. Hope you keep working on it. I know there are a few people who like to live in misery. To me cleanliness equals godliness.

I can understand not being able to, but wow there are over a million ways to stay sanitary at least.

Gallbaro

Banned
The house belongs half to my mother and half to my uncle, we're trying to get him to sign off his ownership of the house this thursday so we can get a loan modification from the mortgage company, otherwise we're in danger of losing the house to a mortgage loan that is 99% interest.

Nothing is going to change until he doesn't feel you cleaning up his shit is rent.

EVOL 100%

Your uncle sounds mentally ill.

So his body can't handle it and breaks down every two days, and he still does whatever the hell he's doing? Pardon me, but is he senile?

Your uncle sounds mentally ill.

So his body can't handle it and breaks down every two days, and he still does whatever the hell he's doing? Pardon me, but is he senile?

Alcohol addiction. Although it sounds like his problems run deeper than just that. Sorry op, that sounds like one hell of a situation to be in. Best of luck :/

LuchaShaq

Banned
You did a great renovation but honestly you shouldn't have until you knew you could get the piss floor man out. Too gross and insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom