• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't get why everyone loves The Legend of Zelda

tim.mbp

You don't get why people have different opinions? Personally, I like the combination of puzzle solving and action.

entremet

I'm failing to see the MM and DS connection.

To answer your question. It's one of the few types of games we get. Okami was a great rendition of the Zelda formula although a bit too long. Zelda games don't come out often as well.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
wait what?

MM like Dark souls? What?

It's basically been the same since Ocarina of Time except maybe Majora's Mask which is kind of like Dark Souls.

in chronological order:

Dark souls is like MM and not the other way around.

The Legend of Zelda is fairly overrated, with a nice soundtrack.

I love the concept of dungeon > item > item on boss > repeat throughout the entire game, whether it be Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass.

also Dark Souls and Majora's Mask are both somewhat challenging. Which is why I enjoy both.

CronoShot

1. It's fun.

2. It really hasn't been the same since OoT. Maybe TP, but that's about it. WW and especially Skyward Sword pretty different.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I tried to have fun playing Halo.

Thorakai

The amount of games that get described as being like Dark Souls is crazy. Going by GAF you would think the game is some sort of ultimate hybrid of every game genre ever created, but hard.

Gannd

Banned
They haven't been the same since Ocarina of Time. The Wind Waker is different from OoT. TP is closer to OoT but Skyward Sword is very different. It's a myth that Zelda's all play the same.

Izick

My experience with the series:

The Legend of Zelda (NES) - An awesome adventure game with great music, graphics, and gameplay.

Zelda II (NES) - All of Zelda (1) but in a completely new perspective, and in a package that kicks your ass. It's a frustrating game that keeps calling you back.

Zelda OoT (N64) - I mean it was a revolutionary game at the time, and still is pretty damn fun to play to this day. It was just something in its own league, and raised the bar for all of gaming.

Zelda Oracle of Ages (GBC) - Another good game in the vein of the original NES title. Not a must-play to me, but it definitely has its moments.

Zelda Wind Waker (GC) - Just felt like the OoT gameplay style, but perfected in visuals, sound, and gameplay. It's not a perfect game, but it is as perfect as a game in the series has come for me.

Zelda Skyward Sword (Wii) - I'm not all the way through this one, but it seems like a fun game. Not great, but the sword stuff (while kind of tedious after a while) adds a fresh new dynamic to it. Probably my least favorite in the series though.

For me, the series best points are TLoZ, Zelda II and Wind Waker. I haven't played Twilight Princess or the (3)DS games out of disinterest though, so I didn't list them.

Fandangox

Some people like the Lore, others the setting/atmosphere, or the puzzle solving, hell or even the combat. Some like a combination of all these things.

Opinions.

Fou-Lu

The music is amazing, the atmosphere is awesome and the gameplay is something seldom found outside of Zelda games. Plus the whole mythos that a lot of us have grown up with is hardwired into our brains.

And there really isn't two Zelda games that are all that alike. Even OoT and TP are drastically different, IMO.

73V3N

Banned
It's basically been the same since Ocarina of Time except maybe Majora's Mask which is kind of like Dark Souls.

image.php

The music, the sense of adventure, the connection with the characters and the story, the gear, the enemies, the outdoor environments, the dungeons and their puzzles and bosses and THE MOTHERFUCKING BOTTLES.

Rising_Hei

The only problem is that Zelda formula hasn't aged well :/

Back in the time was AWESOME, now it can be really boring

JordanN

Banned
The series started going downhill after Twilight Princess.

I'm really not interested in the 3DS game and I'm skeptical if the Wii U Zelda will be any good after Skyward Sword was a massive disappointment.

Let down aside, playing games like a Link to the Past when it first released, was absolutely magical. Same goes for Ocarina of Time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you had to guess, why do you think people like it? Why not read some positive reviews of various Zelda games and get back to us? You might not find yourself agreeing but I think you'll be able to figure out what people like about it if you try.

It's completely inoffensive *but relatively simple" game design,with Tolkien inspired locales.

You walk, you hit stuff, you do puzzles, and you gain items. Distilled it sounds like truly trite game design. Turning it all into a cohesive whole is where it shines. It's rarely revolutionary (though I would argue that SS was just that for the series) and it never sucks.

Generally the biggest issues I have with the series is their melding of the era of intricate cutscene design into such a (at its core) simplistic series.

People like the formula, it's fairly unique in the medium, though recent games have shown its in danger of feeling dated and bland. I think Zelda's stock value has fell substantially since Twilight Princess.

Top Bottom