• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes, there is a Zelda timeline. Why on earth does this bother people so much?

Zuo

It's not even like a care a lot about it, but it's the vitriol that confuses me every time. I randomly stumbled over this thread where people, instead of just ignoring the topic, say the timeline is "for weirdos who can't function" and that "Nintendo clearly never cared about it": https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gamespot-the-complete-legend-of-zelda-timeline-explained.1655585/

I don't understand how people can say such things when Zelda has direct sequels since Zelda 2 and, at the very latest, Majora's Mask; when both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are obviously parallel narratives unfolding after the events of Ocarina of Time; or when there are interviews way older than the official timeline that _do_ show that Nintendo always kind of cared, even insisting that A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening take place after Ocarina of Time: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Interview:Nintendo_Online_Magazine_August_1st_1998

It's not like anyone claims that the timeline is flawless. There are interviews in which Miyamoto himself admitted ignoring "joints not lining up perfectly because it's inevitable anyway" and they rather focus on making a fun game, but there is obviously some continuity going on between at least half of the games. You may criticize that they shoehorn games like Tri Force Heroes into it, but not only do they have their own dedicated branch that makes it easier to ignore them in this regard, it's a more fun and elegant solution than decanonizing arbitrary games and leaving them in an annoying limbo

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's clearly just cobbled together long after the fact and it never needed to happen in the first place. It definitely shouldn't bother anyone, but it's also absolutely there for weirdos who care about story in a game series that's had a good plot exactly zero times.

Alright, Majora's Mask was pretty cool.

Zuo

It makes no fucking sense and is unnecessary to enjoy the games
How doesn't it make sense?
There is no timeline. Just a retelling of events. It's the fans that created the timelines and Nintendo went with it at some point. So here we are. Zelda lore runs deep.
It's clearly just cobbled together long after the fact and it never needed to happen in the first place. It definitely shouldn't bother anyone, but it's also absolutely there for weirdos who care about story in a game series that's had a good plot exactly zero times.

Alright, Majora's Mask was pretty cool.
No, there is a timeline, and Nintendo came up with it when they made a sequel to Zelda 1: https://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/nes/Zelda II - The Adventure of Link.pdf

Thanks for serving as live examples :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No, there is a timeline
Could at least show the right one and not just two games.

At the end of the day the timeline is insignificant since most games are separate adventures with separate Links/Zeldas.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-timeline-V5.jpg

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I like going down the Zelda timeline rabbit hole, even though it doesn’t always make sense.

There’s something inherently satisfying about slotting a bunch of chaos into an amount of order. Yeah, we all know the 40-year Zelda timeline was not planned out from the get go, but it’s kind of fun to see if there’s a way to make the puzzle pieces fit.

Woopah

There is no timeline. Just a retelling of events. It's the fans that created the timelines and Nintendo went with it at some point. So here we are. Zelda lore runs deep.
The Zelda timeline stuff started as fan discussion that was made official right? Never cared for it, it's all MatPat level Game Theory wank.

Pictured below: a Sonic fan working on a grand unification theory that includes games, cartoons and comics.

fb1.jpg
I think this exactly what the OP is arguing against.

The Zelda timeline started in the 80s when Nintendo made Zelda II a direct sequel to the original. And then continued throughout the rest of the series, with most games being specifically developed as prequels or sequels to other games.

For example, the idea of the split timeline came from Aonuma, not from fans. The idea that each game is supposed to be a retelling simply isn't true.

What is true to say is that the timeline was messy and convoluted and required recons to work. As another example, Ocarina of Time was originslly written as a prequel to LtttP to show the Imprisoning War.

But the story changed during development and ended up not really working (especially after Twilight Princess and Wink Waker). That'd why Nintendo had to retcon in the idea that the timeline split into 3 instead of 2.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I never really thought about the Zelda timeline. My first Zelda game which I played from start to end was Ocarina of Time. After that game I played and enjoyed almost every entry except the switch games.

I enjoy every Zelda game for what it is, never really bothered about the timeline.

RagnarokIV

I thought the idea is that it's the Legend of Zelda.

Hence it can just be retold in many different ways. It isn't fucken marvel or Metal Gear, not everything needs to be explained or have a timeline.

Either way I just play them as and when I feel it, never missed out on anything.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I don't think anyone is bothered by this... Except maybe the Purple people...they're bothered by EVERYTHING.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The timeline is the most interesting thing about Zelda for me. (its really RAD)
That said I'm not shocked most Zelda fans don't care for it most of them desperately need to touch Hyrule grass

It makes no fucking sense and is unnecessary to enjoy the games

For you dude. There's 8 billion other perspectives on this Earth thinking and feeling differently to different degrees.

Timelines are cool to me. I'm not even a Zelda fan and I would be interested in learning more about continuity in this universe.

Woopah

For you dude. There's 8 billion other perspectives on this Earth thinking and feeling differently to different degrees.

Timelines are cool to me. I'm not even a Zelda fan and I would be interested in learning more about continuity in this universe.
This AVGN episode gives a good look at it from the developers' point of view (at least the first half, the video is quite out of date now)

And this video gives a good overview of the Timeline as a whole -

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can answer any other questions you have!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The so called the “timeline“ doesn’t add anything to story or gameplay of Zelda games.

Games with story heavy the timeline matters like Drakengard/Nier series.

Zuo

I think this exactly what the OP is arguing against.

The Zelda timeline started in the 80s when Nintendo made Zelda II a direct sequel to the original. And then continued throughout the rest of the series, with most games being specifically developed as prequels or sequels to other games.

For example, the idea of the split timeline came from Anouma, not from fans. The idea that each game is supposed to be a retelling simply isn't true.

What is true to say is that the timeline was messy and convoluted and required recons to work. As another example, Ocarina of Time was originslly written as a prequel to LtttP to show the Imprisoning War.

But the story changed during development and ended up not really working (especially after Twilight Princess and Wink Waker). That'd why Nintendo had to retcon in the idea that the timeline split into 3 instead of 2.
Indeed. And from everything I've seen, Nintendo is quite humble about the messiness and retconning, not at all trying to hide it

I too disagree with people who say the timeline adds nothing to the experience. It added a fuckton to Wind Waker, be it the very premise and the flooding of the Hyrule you explored in OoT, reading about the Hero of Time not coming back to save the day again (apparently for reasons not everyone in this thread grasped), the grown-up Deku Tree, the sunken kingdom, noticing things like the Kokiri symbols on the doors or the stained glass depicting the OoT sages, and of course Ganondorf being the same person you faced before, which is what makes him such a special villain
It's plainly obvious The Wind Waker has strong ties with Ocarina of Time.
Not obvious enough for some. And it's probably the same people who say that Zelda stories are too simple or "barely exist" :messenger_pensive:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
becaus its dumb. there was no timeline for a long time before idiots who couldn't cope demanded it. so some intern at Nintendo threw one together.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I remember reading fan theories about the timeline, but it was pretty clear that Nintendo never had any plans for an overarching timeline. It was cute that they made an official "timeline", but you can pretty much make up your own head canon if you want.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've seen this a hundred times and I've always thought it was retarded. The second game ever made is a direct sequel, and it's a known fact that the same Links exist in multiple games. So the idea that it's just one story retold is wrong straight away.

That's not to say the games all fit neatly into one coherent timeline, but it's better than pretending they're all the same game. They don't even all have the same antagonist.

Last edited:

Zuo

becaus its dumb. there was no timeline for a long time before idiots who couldn't cope demanded it. so some intern at Nintendo threw one together.
The "Miyamoto Order" is probably older than some people in this thread. Miyamoto already talked about an overarching timeline and established that Zelda 1, Zelda 2, ALttP and LA take place after OoT as far back as 1998
There is a timeline in the mundane sense of the word since Zelda 2 and later Majora's Mask and other direct and indirect sequels. That's not subjective. You may disagree with Nintendo's official timeline, but Zelda obviously has at least one timeline. It's not even anything special or a big deal. It's just how it is

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Omg you're so right and yet I have my doubts. Many night keep me awake from this conundrum =/

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
How doesn't it make sense?
It doesn't and don't pretend that it does. They had to do a bunch of retcons and there are a million holes in the timeline because there was no forethought put into it. Whenever asked in the past, Miyamoto and Aonuma would be coy about it and refer a so-called timeline document they had stashed away somewhere. The timeline they published in Hyrule Historia doesn't hold to scrutiny and that's fine, it doesn't make Zelda less good, but it will tend to piss off people when you try to explain away what doesn't need to be explained with senseless and convoluted explanations.

That's like Star Wars with the Midichlorians. It just annoyed longtime fans and wasn't needed.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's not even like a care a lot about it, but it's the vitriol that confuses me every time. I randomly stumbled over this thread where people, instead of just ignoring the topic, say the timeline is "for weirdos who can't function" and that "Nintendo clearly never cared about it": https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gamespot-the-complete-legend-of-zelda-timeline-explained.1655585/
seems you cared enough to make a thread about it.

This timeline is dumb, and people will rightfully point out its dumb. Thats all there is to this

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've seen this a hundred times and I've always thought it was retarded. The second game ever made is a direct sequel, and it's a known fact that the same Link exists in multiple games. So the idea that it's just one story retold is wrong straight away.

That's not to say the games all fit neatly into one coherent timeline, but it's better than pretending they're all the same game. They don't even all have the same antagonist.
Technically they do since every big bad per Skyward Sword is just another incarnation of Demise's curse.

In some games Link is the same but in other's clearly it is not. What is the same is the reincarnation of the "Hero's Spirit" which is just the player.

As far as I am concerned especially with BotW/TotK it very much is a retelling of events since just like in reality, history repeats itself.

This AVGN episode gives a good look at it from the developers' point of view (at least the first half, the video is quite out of date now)

And this video gives a good overview of the Timeline as a whole -

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can answer any other questions you have!

Very cool, thanks mate.

The timeline is dumb because it’s disingenuous. It’s forcing stories to fit together that don’t quite fit when they were never intended to connect that way originally, and they worked just fine as they were. Now I can appreciate the craft of retroactively stringing lore together to make some grand unified timeline theory, it’s an interesting thought puzzle and all, but it’s pure fan fiction. Official adoption of the timeline in any way was a mistake.

The real connection is that Link is the hero of time, Ganon is the big bad, Zelda is the princess, and the games are echoes and rhymes of each other. That’s all it needs to be.

Zuo

It doesn't and don't pretend that it does. They had to do a bunch of retcons and there are a million holes in the timeline because there was no forethought put into it. Whenever asked in the past, Miyamoto and Aonuma would be coy about it and refer a so-called timeline document they had stashed away somewhere. The timeline they published in Hyrule Historia doesn't hold to scrutiny and that's fine, it doesn't make Zelda less good, but it will tend to piss off people when you try to explain away what doesn't need to be explained with senseless and convoluted explanations.
No one claims there are no inconsistencies (many of which are by design to maintain for themselves the freedom and absolute focus on making a fun game). A lot of inconsistencies also can be explained away with the fact that, as people in this thread pointed out, Zelda stories are "legends"

No one posted any "convoluted explanations" here. Saying this just makes it look like you have a preconceived opinion and take the timeline more seriously than the people who are fine with it

Personally, I don't even understand how someone can love Wind Waker while denying that it takes place after Ocarina of Time. So much of WW's sense of sublimity and emotional frission comes from the fact that it's OoT's world and characters that had all that shit happen to them because "we" were sent back into our timeline at the end of OoT and that even Ganondorf "covets" that old world. I vividly remember how almost everyone loved this about WW, too. And none of that is convoluted
The timeline is dumb because it’s disingenuous. It’s forcing stories to fit together that don’t quite fit when they were never intended to connect that way originally, and they worked just fine as they were. Now I can appreciate the craft of retroactively stringing lore together to make some grand unified timeline theory, it’s an interesting thought puzzle and all, but it’s pure fan fiction. Official adoption of the timeline in any way was a mistake.
The problem with your argument is that all the somewhat complex Zelda games fit together quite nicely (OoT, MM, WW, TP and SS being the centerpiece of the timeline), and all the Zeldas that don't seem to fit in anywhere are the 2D ones that have very simple stories. No one needs to disingenuously string any lore together if they don't enjoy it. And as mentioned in the OP, most of the black sheep also have their own little timeline that makes it even easier to see them in isolation... Or does it really bother you this much that the stupid acid dream Link has in LA takes place sometime after ALttP and a bazillion years after OoT? Maybe you people really care more about the timeline than the people who don't mind it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

CamHostage

Any one or two of the games can harken back to memories of other games in the franchise, that's fine. Some games even use a "sequel" continuity if there's some aspect of the story that Nintendo wants to build upon for whatever reason benefits the new game. And if headcanon is comfortable to think of ones that fit as being before or after one another, enjoy that vision of the experience.

Caring for a timeline or trying to make all of these games fit together, however, is maddening and fruitless. And arguing about there being an actual timeline of all the Zeldas on the internet is going to hurt for everybody involved. Just enjoy each of the games as you play them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom