• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sticktwiddlers - Xbox One Dashboard Created “With Advertising In Mind”

Freki

Interesting article focussing on advertisment on the Xbox One amongst other things....

One of the biggest revelations that took me completely by surprise was when the Senior Digital Art Director/UX Designer very openly confessed how, like many gamers, he found the inclusion of Kinect movement gameplay completely unnecessary in some AAA titles. “Lots of people are using Kinect for voice control on dashboard and some games. I’ve played Mass Effect and Dragon Age and it’s awesome, it’s amazing. You can speak to your mates, to your teammates and make them do stuff, you can change your weapons. It’s brilliant, it’s great.”

“But on the other side of that, I tried to play Forza 4 with Kinect and sitting for half an hour doing this (stretches arms out and mimics driving motion) and it’s silly. Just stick to the controller and do it properly.”

“With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot,” commented the Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do.” Gamers have already expressed concerns over the Kinect being able to spy on them and their habits, but it’s not quite at that level of CIA-grade espionage.

The attending Xbox LIVE Advertising Developer commented that they don’t actually receive a lot of the biometric information collected by Kinect. “This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he stated, “whereas from the advertising point of view we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can’t do certain things.”

So what about the future of advertising on the Xbox One? “It’s going to be an exciting transition though because the 360 console wasn’t built with advertising in mind, it was more of an afterthought, so we’ve had to adapt how to the technology and how we work to fit them in to the console,” said Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “whereas this new one is going to have advertising in mind. So a lot of the limitations that we have now, hopefully the release of the boundaries will widened so the opportunities will be a lot greater.”

more at the link:

sticktwiddlers

Vamphuntr

I hope he realizes that a Mic could do the same thing as kinect for the games he enjoyed using voice command in.

I'm not really surprised they are trying to monetize their Dashboard from the start. Seems like a continuation from the current 360 Dashboard. Disappointing but not unexpected. It's sad the ads are still there for Gold members.

Proelite

Misleading title. Makes it seems like the console dashboard was specifically created for advertising. Which might be the case down the line!

Of course it was. It begins with recommendations of film and music you probably aren't interested in and then starts to include TV, sports, and "other services."

I hope he realizes that a Mic could do the same thing as kinect for the games he enjoyed using voice command in.

I'm not really surprised they are trying to monetize their Dashboard from the start. Seems like a continuation from the current 360 Dashboard. Disappointing but not unexpected. It's sad the ads are still there for Gold members.

That's the whole point of kinect: That you don't have to use anything to be recognized by the console.

You could also plug sensors all over your body to have body tracking, or use one of the helth bracelets to have you heartbeat checked, but that's not as seamless.

jaypah

I'm outraged. But seriously, I can't believe that Sony and Nintendo are leaving that free money on the table. I mean, good on them, but they have to have seen the cash that MS was raking in.

I'm outraged. But seriously, I can't believe that Sony and Nintendo are leaving that free money on the table. I mean, good on them, but they have to have seen the cash that MS was raking in.
They're charging for multiplayer now - no need to litter another dash with ads, thank you very much.

Freki

They'll follow sooner or later.
Look at the monetization of online gaming as an example - it took Sony two generations to follow suite but in the end they did.

The ads on the xbox always bothered me and turned me off from it to be honest

Still played it but never liked the interface

So do people think you can turn off all info gathering features of the kinect then?

I hate giving ad information to anyone for any purpose

Personally hate how important advertising is in todays society but I'm sure I'm just crazy and all that

Will be very disappointed if the PS4 has ads too but not overly surprised sigh

jaypah

They're charging for multiplayer now - no need to litter another dash with ads, thank you very much.

I see your point Mr. Null but perhaps you haven't seen what piles of cash look like. Have you ever seen so much cash that you literally had to rake it in, Mr. Null? Preeeeetty tempting!

Those "ads" are a big part of the reason why digital software sales are much higher than on the PS3 and partially why people say that Xbox LIVE is a more connected and community experience than PSN.

I'm not going to argue whether recommendations are ads or not. I don't care to. I will say though that they are part of an ecosystem that benefits publishers, developers, and gamers alike.

Look at how much flak Microsoft gets for not "promoting" Xbox Live Indies; the bastion of low-cost, self-publishing devs. And yet, people will endlessly mock it and hate on it because Microsoft doesn't advertise it.

Gannd

Banned
I never liked that with Xbox we pay them money and they give us tons ads for anything other than games.

I wish I had your eyesight, I see them all the time.

Intrusive is different from just 'there'.

I would rather customize MY dashboard how I see fit ... but those days are over in the console world. I imagine Sony will do the same.

Sucks you still them after paying for Gold though. Personally it's one of the reasons I'm not really wanting an XBO. But I'm expecting it to be on PS4 too, they already put a paywall up for multiplayer.

xbhaskarx

Those "ads" are a big part of the reason why digital software sales are much higher than on the PS3 and partially why people say that Xbox LIVE is a more connected and community experience than PSN.

I'm not going to argue whether recommendations are ads or not. I don't care to. I will say though that they are part of an ecosystem that benefits publishers, developers, and gamers alike.

Look at how much flak Microsoft gets for not "promoting" Xbox Live Indies; the bastion of low-cost, self-publishing devs. And yet, people will endlessly mock it and hate on it because Microsoft doesn't advertise it.

What you're failing to understand is that anything Microsoft does is inherently bad.

Gestault

Look at how much flak Microsoft gets for not "promoting" Xbox Live Indies; the bastion of low-cost, self-publishing devs. And yet, people will endlessly mock it and hate on it because Microsoft doesn't advertise it

This right here is a point worth making note of.

The recommended ads don't really bother me. The video advertisements for random insurance companies bother me.
Glad those are gone.

Worth noting that his experience with Kinect is the old version, not Kinect 2.
Forza 4 is the old 360 game.

I see your point Mr. Null but perhaps you haven't seen what piles of cash look like. Have you ever seen so much cash that you literally had to rake it in, Mr. Null? Preeeeetty tempting!
No, I haven't.

But I could get used to this whole Mr. Null thing.

iqlDWaygGr1AW.jpg

*adjusts tie and cuff-links*

lantus

I think this was quite apparent from the initial reveal of always-online. Not only was it a form of DRM, but it guaranteed every single console would be able to see ads and content related to Xbox Live, whether it be new games, movies or whatever. Now a lot of that advertising appeal is gone.

I think this was quite apparent from the initial reveal of always-online. Not only was it a form of DRM, but it guaranteed every single console would be able to see ads and content related to Xbox Live, whether it be new games, movies or whatever. Now a lot of that advertising appeal is gone.
Speaking of which, has anybody had experience with the Xbox 360 as a silver member lately?

My Gold ran out last week and when I boot it up every tab looks the same. I get my tiny square at the top left like usual, all the other small tiles are just black and empty, with the main tile showing the same thing every time: "You should connect your Xbox to the internet. Join Gold now!"

Its so incredibly lame, and the "connect your Xbox to the internet" part is particularly annoying as my console was indeed connected, just not to Gold.

Apath

I have yet to see an intrusive ad on the consoles so I don't care.

I consider it intrusive when 66% of the current dashboard space is relegated to attempts at getting me to purchase content, versus the other 33% being the actual content I paid for/use.
Speaking of which, has anybody had experience with the Xbox 360 as a silver member lately?

My Gold ran out last week and when I boot it up every tab looks the same. I get my tiny square at the top left like usual, all the other small tiles are just black and empty, with the main tile showing the same thing every time: "You should connect your Xbox to the internet. Join Gold now!"

Its so incredibly lame, and the "connect your Xbox to the internet" part is particularly annoying as my console was indeed connected, just not to Gold.

That's exactly why I have no faith in Microsoft. At the beginning of the generation I'm sure everything will be great. However as time goes on, expect them to slowly decay to shit like they did this generation.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It will probably be just like windows 8. no ads on the start screen but ads in the apps if the dev chooses to do so.

I think we can be pretty confident that the PS4 dashboard is also designed with advertising in mind.

What? Just like we could be pretty confident they designed the console with DRM in mind? We haven't heard anything about that.

Also the PS4 has a sleep function much like the Vita's, so you can put the console to sleep and later continue right where you left off, skipping the dashboard completely. I haven't seen the Vita dashboard in a while.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

oh trust me, Sony isn't 'leaving money on the table' - they don't have much of a table. People don't want to buy on PSN outside of endemics, their offering is overvalued/over priced, and their placements are not standard. they have trouble finding partners, outside of a few here or there. they do have an ad platform though.

i imagine they will heavily address this with the new interface

Freki

care to elaborate or do you just post random statements?

So what about the future of advertising on the Xbox One? “It’s going to be an exciting transition though because the 360 console wasn’t built with advertising in mind, it was more of an afterthought, so we’ve had to adapt how to the technology and how we work to fit them in to the console,” said Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “whereas this new one is going to have advertising in mind. So a lot of the limitations that we have now, hopefully the release of the boundaries will widened so the opportunities will be a lot greater.

Amir0x

Banned
One thing I don't understand is if you're going to charge consumers for this service, why are you then going to force advertisements on them? I think that if Sony or Microsoft offered no ads as part of the benefit for going PS+ or XBL, that'd be value that mattered to me :p

I mean it doesn't really impact me as long as I can ignore the ads, but I just think it's silly.

Freki

One thing I don't understand is if you're going to charge consumers for this service, why are you then going to force advertisements on them? I think that if Sony or Microsoft offered no ads as part of the benefit for going PS+ or XBL, that'd be value that mattered to me :p

That's what I always ask myself when I'm watching sport events on sky...
Apparently the monthly cost would be even higher without them...

lantus

"Pay us to show you doritos ads and have little kids curse at you and your mother! And hey, maybe we'll let you use Netflix too! There's so much value to be had!"

pakkit

Banned
The journalist was interviewing the people that specifically work in advertising at XBOX, so it's unsurprising that they were hyping the advertising abilities of the new machine. How much it actually is used, however, is different. With a few rare exceptions, I've been able to completely ignore the adspace on XBL.

netBuff

Is this actually true or just what you think the facts are? I find it hard to believe games are selling better on Xbox Live - quite a few indies seem to have sold better on PSN, and Sony is pushing "Day 1 Digital" much harder and better than Microsoft ever has.

Game sales in general tend to equally be only slightly in favour of the 360, we know this by looking at all the recently released yearly statements by big publishers (Ubisoft, for example).

I also don't think many people would utter strange advertisement buzz phrases like "Xbox LIVE is a more connected and community experience" because they see random restaurant and car ads on their home screen.

MS Indie games are derided because its store is a ghetto with low quality standards and different sets of rules that lead to an uninteresting marketplace. Microsoft's solution to "self publishing" on the 360 just pushed too far into a direction that made the whole package unappealing.

That's what I always ask myself when I'm watching sport events on sky...
Apparently the monthly cost would be even higher without them...

The real answer is: "Because they can".

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
off topic side comment, in this new interface here how do you check whether someone quoted you in another thread or not? is that feature gone or moved?

ontopic: um yea, my last post above.
And also, re: Xbox One... of course it is. Look up the difference between endemic and non-endemic ads. Or 'marketing, or house ads' - they are all still advertisements. Xbox One is an entertainment distribution platform. it's basically a massive dump of data and entertainment files. you want a way to sort that, to display what bubbles to the top. you do that with marketing placements, and you do that with paid placements. every platform does this. you charge endemics one rate, you charge non-endemics another rate. you make deals around these rates. you provide these placements to partners who wish to make money off your service by selling goods, and they pay you a fee to bring their content to the front.

any distribution platform that wants to perform well will design their UI in a way that it is easy and simple and effective to message what content is available. so yes, its designed for ads. now,will they take non endemic ads too? of course they will. still ads though.

It's kind of intentionally all hidden behind an iron curtain for consumers though

Top Bottom