• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sticktwiddlers - Xbox One Dashboard Created “With Advertising In Mind”

Honestly the kinect could be the craziest advertising machine ever seen. It could collect data on your speech or movement patterns and set up some sort of mirroring system for advertising. It'd be creepy and probably super effective.

It could check your skin-tone and would be able to do advertising based on perceived race.
And most importantly it can scan your enviroment for products and advertise to you based on what you've already got sitting in your room. They'd be able to do all of this with their version of anonimity.

I'm not saying they should do this, but I'm saying Microsoft is capable of executing such a strategy if they so choose.

StiLt

3ui5ll.jpg

Awesome.

On a gaming platform there should only be advertisements about games. That being said we all know MS doesn't think the XBone to be a gaming platform so expect advertisements out the ass with a bunch of miscellaneous bullshit. It's so sad to see MS go this route but its to be expected. Ill bring my money to Sony, I know they will no doubt have ads but I expect them to be more focused on games ill be interested in.

jdmonmou

I think it's sleazy for them to charge what they do for Xbox Live and still subject paying subscribers to advertisements. And now that Kinect camera is going to be watching out for certain situations in your room to deliver targeted ads. That just sounds creepy.

Delryk

Hey. If they want to put more ads that if you watch, you get 100-200 MSP im all for it. (Scotiabank this week in canada anyways). While it plays i just browse GAF on my cell abd then WOMP.. free cash promo code.

Keep them ads coming is what I say. ;)

artist

Banned
Hey. If they want to put more ads that if you watch, you get 100-200 MSP im all for it. (Scotiabank this week in canada anyways). While it plays i just browse GAF on my cell abd then WOMP.. free cash promo code.

Keep them ads coming is what I say. ;)
100-200 MSP just for one watch? Sounds too generous.

The attending Xbox LIVE Advertising Developer commented that they don’t actually receive a lot of the biometric information collected by Kinect. “This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he stated, “whereas from the advertising point of view we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can’t do certain things.”

I'm surprised that this part of the article didn't cause more of a reaction. I'm also surprised that MS would even think about using Kinect and biometric data for advertising at all. Maybe this is supposed to address concerns about Kinect but it seems like it really confirms the worst fears of the people that just want to be able to unplug their Kinect.

As long as i can be in my game with one button press im okey with it.
Not really bothered with recommended games list.
Would be a bit annoyed if i got stuff like burger king or MacDonald on the dash.
Luckily they havent yet on european dashboard.

Toski

If Microsoft is smart, they drop the Live Gold paywall and replace it with ads, those with Gold get an ad free version among other perks. I wonder what GAF will think if MS goes this route, although Sony will copy it in due time.

Ushae

Banned
Recommendation is not an advert, it would be a game or movie that you may like. McDonald cannot be a recommendation AFAIK. Skeptisism levels are through the roof when it comes to MS. As long as Ads are non-intrusive, and get in your way I can't see a problem. Sony will do this eventually especially now that they have a paywall for multiplayer.

artist

Banned
If Microsoft is smart, they drop the Live Gold paywall and replace it with ads, those with Gold get an ad free version among other perks. I wonder what GAF will think if MS goes this route, although Sony will copy it in due time.
I dont think ad-free is ever going to be an possibility especially with the huge potential of Kinect (for targetted ads).

Duster

I noticed The Guardian picked this up and added a little bit about "nuads", seems to attracted a fair few negative comments.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/05/game-links-press-start#start-of-comments
I have yet to see an intrusive ad on the consoles so I don't care.

This quote from the Guardian article makes it sound intrusive to me:
" Marketing materials for advertising opportunities on Xbox tout the capacity to "transform passive TV advertising into something interactive, immersive, and actionable, redefining the relationship between consumers and brands with amazing new advertising opportunities".

Shauni

The advertising on the 360 right now doesn't bother me much. Pretty easy to ignore. Anymore than that, I dunno, seems like it might. The idea of Kinect watching your shit and sending info to whoever to cater your ads makes me a little uneasy.

jaypah

Isn't there a Rabbids TV show coming out that has interactive elements if you watch it through the 180s hdmi-in? Yeah, commercials will totally do that. Coors Light commercial? Wave the frost off of your screen. Commercial for the new summer blockbuster? Raise your hand to have the 180 snap ticket ordering to the side of your screen. Dominos commercial? Whip your dick out to order a meat-lovers pizza. The possibilities are endless.

Alx

The idea of Kinect watching your shit and sending info to whoever to cater your ads makes me a little uneasy.

Except that it's not what they're doing. The quote in the OP is quite clear that the information provided to advertisers is very limited, compared to what is available to game developers.

Shauni

Except that it's not what they're doing. The quote in the OP is quite clear that the information provided to advertisers is very limited, compared to what is available to game developers.

Limited or not, any degree of information taken for any purpose makes me uneasy.

thumb

Banned

Limited to what? Saying it's limited doesn't specify what it includes.

Alx

Limited to what? Saying it's limited doesn't specify what it includes.

We know it's limited to less than what game publishers would have (and that it's for "user protection purpose"). Since there's no reason a publisher would need to know your favorite brand of soda or the kind of magazine you're reading, you can deduce that kinect is not "watching your shit" for advertisers, and that anything that is uploaded is based on what it measures in gaming conditions : number of users, time spent interacting with it, etc.

How did "slightly more limited" turn into "very limited".

In any case if MS doesn't commit to not using any Kinect data for advertisers there are going to be a lot more people suddenly not so interested in the XBO. Especially the non-core gamers that MS seems to have in mind with all the Kinect/TV integration.

Does Microsoft expect you to pay for a subscription AND be bombarded with advertising?

On what planet has this argument ever held any water? I pay over $100/mo for cable TV and I get bombarded with ads every time I turn on the TV. Verizon FiOS has even started blocking you from accessing your DVR/Guide/Menu before you view one of their ads first. I go out to see a movie and even though the ticket price keeps going up there are now TV ads before every movie, before the trailers (which are ads too). You buy a magazine subscription and yet every other page of your magazine is an ad. You pay tolls on roads and yet there are billboard ads everywhere as you drive.

The concept of paying money and then not having to see ads anymore is nice, but that's not the way it works in most industries.

TheD

The Detective
On what planet has this argument ever held any water? I pay over $100/mo for cable TV and I get bombarded with ads every time I turn on the TV. Verizon FiOS has even started blocking you from accessing your DVR/Guide/Menu before you view one of their ads first. I go out to see a movie and even though the ticket price keeps going up there are now TV ads before every movie, before the trailers (which are ads too). You buy a magazine subscription and yet every other page of your magazine is an ad. You pay tolls on roads and yet there are billboard ads everywhere as you drive.

The concept of paying money and then not having to see ads anymore is nice, but that's not the way it works in most industries.

The difference is that cable TV and mags have ads because the price they charge often does not cover the full cost of the service, unlike a console that has started charging for something that is already covered by the cost of the game! (very much so when the console was hosting the games on a players own system, using the players own bandwidth!) and then has the nerve to lock you out of other features that are free on everything else and then shove fucking ads all other the place!

Grimhammer

Neo Member
The thing I've always been curious about - if my dashboard is even partially annoyed by ads....what's the bandwidth my Xbone using while idle?

Seeing as this xbone is hell bent on serving me TV services I don't want and targeting ads at me.....ugh!

I've said it before - i'll repeat myself again, there are many countries who are going to req kinect be essentially collecting zero metadata. The privacy controls in France or Germany are just not going to allow Kinect to function as intended. Even here in Canada.

Irony is - if you truly want to have ads be less intrusive....you'll need to give away all permissions so ads are tailored to you.

And if anyone thinks that the NSA wouldn't get a stiffy over Kinect your not up to date on world events.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
So here's a thought ....if say you were PM of France and recently was publicly verified that the US spy's on your citizens (via connection to a US citizen)......you have to (as the PM did) feign outrage. I mean....every country spy's on others they feel are worth spying on I guess.

But.....now it's public and the people are not happy. How do you assuage the public? Can you impose restrictions on American companies who are known to share with the NSA?

I'm just hoping for a future where MS market dries up and we start getting true competition again in business software and OS's.

Same applies to any cell phone companies who are known to share metadata and text messages with NSA.

I know that this is impossible....I mean how are you going to stop google? Facebook would be fairly easy - ip block those asshats! Lol

The difference is that cable TV and mags have ads because the price they charge often does not cover the full cost of the service, unlike a console that has started charging for something that is already covered by the cost of the game! (very much so when the console was hosting the games on a players own system, using the players own bandwidth!) and then has the nerve to lock you out of other features that are free on everything else and then shove fucking ads all other the place!

Yeah, I hate when people try to give a reason from Microsoft greedy nature.

Alx

I've said it before - i'll repeat myself again, there are many countries who are going to req kinect be essentially collecting zero metadata. The privacy controls in France or Germany are just not going to allow Kinect to function as intended. Even here in Canada.

They will. They already do, probably, since the current kinect is already uploading metadata.
The strong privacy laws in France or Germany are precisely focused on that : privacy. As long as the metadata are anonymous (and according to the declarations on the xbox site, most of them are), the law has no reason to oppose its collection and storage.
The strict conditions are in collection of private information : you must tell the user what kind of information is collected and linked to his ID, give him the possibility to disable that collection, accept to send him if asked a complete report of what information you already have on him, and accept to delete it at his request.

B_Boss

One thing I don't understand is if you're going to charge consumers for this service, why are you then going to force advertisements on them? I think that if Sony or Microsoft offered no ads as part of the benefit for going PS+ or XBL, that'd be value that mattered to me :p

I mean it doesn't really impact me as long as I can ignore the ads, but I just think it's silly.

Sony offers ads via PS+?

Edit: Ah, nvm.

Top Bottom