• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #124 - "Betrayal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Theme - "Betrayal"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Friday, 12th July, by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, 13th July, and goes until Monday, 15th July at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Extinction Event

Sharpen your knives. For your secondary objective, something is going to go away, never again to return (at least within the scope of your story). Possible targets for an extinction event include an idea, a group, a place, a species, etc. The event does not have to be apocalyptic or even necessarily violent; it should, however, be final.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

The entries

toddhunter -- A mistake
Mike M -- Eyes on the Prize
swecide -- Up, down and how it always is.
Fiction -- Crisis
GRW810 -- Those Last Words Spoken
adj_noun -- Secret Origin
Chainsawkitten -- The City
Cameron122 -- The Chained Lady: A Science Fantasy story.
multivac -- Aurora
irriadin -- The Wanderer
FairyD -- Spotter
Ashes1396 -- attached to nothing
Tangent -- Drinking Beer and Watching TV
Cyan -- Red Light Green Light

GRW810

I've just had a shower and spent the whole time coming up with an idea for adj_noun's challenge. I've got a plot, characters, an ending, and felt really confident about it...

...only to get out of the shower, check this thread again and realise I've been treating the secondary objective as the theme, and completely ignored the actual theme.

F@#K!

Cyan

Banned
And the extinction event is the end of a generation with the incoming new systems.

Whoa, I think we've got something here!

Spoo

I really want to get back into this. Whenever I sit down to even try to write something I just end up hating it all. That I ever submitted anything to this is a wonder.

GRW810

Just finished my first draft. It's the earliest I've ever begun and finished a draft this early but I really wanted to edit and hone the words over the second week instead of starting from scratch with a day or two left.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I have a first draft too, but no idea what to call it. Usually these just occur almost instantly to me.

Not sure about this one but wanted to contribute something. For those wary about trying to read something I wrote from past efforts, it is still kind of abstract... but I mercifully kept this one short.

A mistake (usual password)

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Are the following terms acceptable alternates for your "Extinction Event" criteria? Just wanted to clarify.

Tarnished, Abolished, Disappeared, Broken, Extinguished, Passed

So on and so forth. I'm also assuming the "Extinction" can be plural or singular in this case, since you mentioned "idea", but also species and group.

Mike M

Nick N
Are the following terms acceptable alternates for your "Extinction Event" criteria? Just wanted to clarify.

So on and so forth. I'm also assuming the "Extinction" can be plural or singular in this case, since you mentioned "idea", but also species and group.

Well it's optional to begin with, but even then I'd say just about any or all interpretations are valid. Would be boring if we were all straight jacketed into the same notions

adj_noun

Yes. I'm open to virtually any way folks wish to interpret the objective.

I'm also assuming the "Extinction" can be plural or singular in this case, since you mentioned "idea", but also species and group.

Yup.

FYC

Banned
I have never really read a book nor do I know how to write properly.

I wonder if I should enter.

crozier

Subscribed here as well. I have written exactly one piece of fiction in my lifetime and it was (in my opinion, in retrospect) cringe-worthy crap even though it earned me an A.

tirminyl

Just call it poetry and insist any mistakes were intentional artistic choice.

Critic: WTF is this pile of garbage?
Writer: FOOL! You cannot critic a writing that is beyond your artistic comprehension. You should revel in the fact that you were simply able to read the words on the page.

I haven't been able to get back to my writing. Hoping I can tomorrow and Thursday.

lupin23rd

Nooo, don't stab me in the back like this, Squiddy! :/

If I was going to enter, I'd write about Squiddy betraying Cyan by stealing his topic, and then this writing challenge series becoming extinct because someone died a mysterious, horrible death over it.

;)

Mike M

Nick N
Eyes on the Prize
1804 words, usual password.

I'm going to be out on the road tomorrow, and it's likely I won't have access to the internet for the laptop, so I'm posting it a bit earlier than usual. I actually had time to revise this one a few times, and at this point I'm pretty sick of reading it, so I think that means I'm done?

It's a very relaxing and dare I say satisfying feeling to have my entry in early. Think I'll strive for this every time from now on.

I am glad I wasn't the last. I hemmed and hawed all week, and couldn't make what I wanted to do work, until I had the idea on the format. Then it was a desperate nearly all nighter and boom. I am sure it suffered for it, but whatever! I got an entry in yay!

Cyan

Banned
I am glad I wasn't the last. I hemmed and hawed all week, and couldn't make what I wanted to do work, until I had the idea on the format. Then it was a desperate nearly all nighter and boom. I am sure it suffered for it, but whatever! I got an entry in yay!

Awesome!

And don't worry, you'll never be the last as long as I'm around. :p

irriadin

I've been procrastinating after getting a good head-start earlier in the week. I'm a habitual last-minute tinkerer, so my entry will probably be in the last ten minutes or so.

Aerguh, I need to finish this.
Going to bed early and finishing this off tomorrow morning.
Thanks to timezone hijinks, I'll have a submission in before you guys wake up and realize it's saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom