• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield on Spider-Man: "Why can't he be gay?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/10/andrew-garfield-spider-man-gay/

Andrew Garfield has loved Spider-Man since he was a little kid. He can speak eloquently and at length about how open the Spider-verse is for interpretation. Recently, he says, he had a philosophical discussion with producer Matt Tolmach about Mary Jane or “MJ” to fans. “I was kind of joking, but kind of not joking about MJ,” he tells EW. “And I was like, ‘What if MJ is a dude?’ Why can’t we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It’s hardly even groundbreaking!…So why can’t he be gay? Why can’t he be into boys?”

Garfield even has an actor in mind: “I’ve been obsessed with Michael B. Jordan since The Wire. He’s so charismatic and talented. It’d be even better—we’d have interracial bisexuality!” The star has clearly suggested a sexually flexible Spidey to his director, Marc Webb, as well. When EW later mentions the idea to Webb, the director says, “Michael B. Jordan, I know.” Oh, so he’s heard this too? “Uh, are you kidding?”

Would definitely be a different take on the character.

Replicant

Eh, I don't know. I'd rather not because those bigots will just say how the gays are out to ruin everything with our agenda.

"Why does everything has to be gay?"
"Why do they always flaunt their sexuality?"
"Another day, another gay Hollywood agenda"

And so on and so forth.....

Viewt

Eh, there's nothing intrinsic to Peter's character that necessitates him being straight, I suppose.

It's a little funny that Garfield's already picked out the dude he wants, though.

charsace

I have no problem with Garfield is saying. I wish one of these comic book movies would look to doing their own version of a character instead of copying the comic as much as they can.

He most likely picked Jordan because the guy is one of the best young actors today and should be getting big roles?

Nether!

Sure, I couldn't care less about Peter Parker's relationships in the movies. As long as it didn't become the focus it would make no difference to me.
Will never happen though.

Could they do it? Sure, why not.

Would it make sense given that there is no gay Spider-Man/Peter Parker canonically in the comics or any other interpretations of Spider-Man/Peter Parker? No, not really.

Watch them add that to Miles Morales, though...then it would fit the canon, at least somewhere. Then, you could do it and have it make sense!

First they try to ruin Bert and Ernie now this.

Although I would care less if they made Spidey gay than I would if they ruined my childhood.

Eh, there's nothing intrinsic to Peter's character that necessitates him being straight, I suppose.

It's a little funny that Garfield's already picked out the dude he wants, though.

His relationships with Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane are a pretty integral part of his character.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If there is anything I've learned from previous Spider-man threads, it's that Spider-man going black would probably shut down the internet from nerd outrage.

man this guy was so good in social network and never let me go. now he's just a shittier spiderman :(

and it sounds like he just wants an excuse to kiss wallace

Slayven

Mary-Jane, not Gary-John

sunfire1.jpg

tumblr_m0gebdFB331qbj79io1_500.jpg

Carcetti

Spider-Man's sexuality is not something that makes or breaks the character. At least he wouldn't have to get divorced by Satan.

I bet this is because his real life girlfriend is getting closer to being snuffed out and replaced by some young, red-headed Hollywood babe. He probably feels guilty about getting too into the whole MJ thing.

Replicant

If there is anything I've learned from previous Spider-man threads, it's that Spider-man going black would probably shut down the internet from nerd outrage.

Pretty much. Many so-called 'nerds' and 'geeks' are still quite bigoted despite how open-minded they often claim themselves to be. I mean look at any discussion on equality on video games, for example.

Thanks for the consideration though, Garfield. It's appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom