• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some Tower Defense games

Violet_0

Banned
So I've been in the mood for TD games lately, but it seems that I've played most of the more recent noteworthy titles

this is the (probably incomplete) list:

Iron Brigade/Trenched
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Plants vs Zombies
Kingdom Rush
Sanctum 1 & 2
Orc must Die! 1 & 2
Dungeon Defenders
Defender's Quest
Prime World: Defenders

any suggestions?

Chojin

So I've been in the mood for TD games lately, but it seems that I've most of the more recent noteworthy title

this is the (probably incomplete) list
:
Iron Brigade/Trenched
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Plants vs Zombies
Kingdom Rush
Sanctum 1 & 2
Orc must Die! 1 & 2
Dungeon Defenders
Defender's Quest
Prime World: Defenders

any suggestions?

Bloons. Go to ninjakiwi.com All the Bloons games all the time. Free and browser based. I apologize for all the sleep you will be missing.

Dillon's Rolling Western and its sequel The Last Ranger. Both on Nintendo 3DS eShop.
They are good tower defense games, with a big emphasis on action and even some exploration. Charming and pleasant to the eyes. Check 'em out.

PixelJunk Monsters... Deluxe

Very charming, incredibly addicting tower defense game. Also has an amazing soundtrack.
I'm sad there's still no sign of the (3D) sequel Cuthbert said he wanted to make.

I rather enjoyed Comet Crash, though it gets pretty difficult early on (or it did for me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29tNfFDoWMY

It was free on PSN+ a while back so I'm guessing it should be pretty cheap now.

You didn't mention a specific platform so I'm not sure if you're looking for handheld games, sorry (guessing by the list of games).

Shady859

Kingdom Rush and Fieldrunners on iOS are <3

dsigns with the save, I was sad to see the lack of Fieldrunners love! It's on all platforms as well.

shiv_

Is anyone aware of any good TD games that require actual mazing to be done with towers rather than building towers along the outskirts of the 'path'?

a la wintermaul of wc3 custom game fame?

Violet_0

Banned
Pixel Junk Monsters is a PS exclusive according to wiki
Castlestorm comes out at the end of July for PC
I've been considering Anomaly 2 for some time now, still not sure if I'd enjoy it
didn't know about the Kingdom Rush sequel
will check out Dillon's Rolling Western, thanks

I'm a really big fan of Savage Moon -

Though I never see anyone else recommend it, ever. So maybe it's awful and I have horrible taste.

Caerith

You got pretty much all the good ones.

Plants vs Zombies - cute, casual, PopCap-style

Orcs Must Die - physics action

Defense Grid - pinnacle of pure TD

Defender's Quest - TD beloved by people who hate TD

If you have a way of playing Nintendo DS games there are some noteworthy titles:

-Lock's Quest
-Ninja Town
-Starship Patrol/Defense (DSiWare)

The last one is by Q Games and comes highly recommended, but both Lock's Quest and Ninja town are worth picking up.

Anomaly 1 & 2 (tower offense, amazing games)

and Atom Zombie Smaher (a tower defense, top down view, zombie apocalypse containement/population evacuation plan simulator and tactical game at the same time. Plus crazy music)

besada

Banned
Has anyone said Pixel Junk Monsters yet? (It has a Facebook version that's pretty good, too)

Also, Gemcraft.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sentinel was really refreshing and fun for me a while ago because its not quite the same as any other game in the genre:
DKTNZgp.jpg
a4F3GKX.png

Its a tower defense game with the tried and true formula of you defending your base against incoming creeps with your towers. However, this game differentiates itself from other Tower Defense game in 2 regards. First of all, just building towers wont get you anywhere. The game is HARD. Your towers have energy levels that affect the performance of these towers and you will need to adjust these energy levels accordingly to allow for the best possible level progress. It has some undeniable puzzle elements in that regard. The level design is also rather refreshing since it sometimes cleverly uses genre tropes against the player. E.g. Most powerful tower is always the best one to use? Wrong.

Another distinctive element and the reason I enjoy this game as much as I do, is the interactive electronic/house-y soundtrack. The music changes depending on where you place your towers and which energy levels you provide them with. The effects are sometimes rather subtle, in other times make a striking track to an outstanding one. Oh and yeah, the soundtrack is just way too good to be not exposed to a bigger audience. Its a game I mainly play for the soundtrack, to delve 20-30 minutes into these tracks and play a game that has been made with that soundtrack in mind. Its that good. Unfortunately, the track in the youtube video on the devs website isnt really the strongest selling point in that regard, but I highly recommend checking out the browser 2 level demo (The full version is downloadable). Completion might take you an estimated 20-30 hours if you are a somewhat decent player.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

Its a shame most people simply ignored it, as will probably the case once more in this thread :p But this game should definitely get more recognition. This game should be listed right with all the other TD games mentioned in this thread.

Zinger

Neo Member
I love Immortal Defense

And it's already been mentioned but if you liked Kingdom Rush and haven't played the sequel, Frontiers, yet you should definitely give that game a shot.

Revenge of the Titans and Sol Survivor are two other Tower Defense games that I bought in indie bundles intending to play but have never gotten around to them (like 99% of my library). I think they look fun though!

Shambles

I have spent the most time on Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die 1. And a nod to Monsters on PS3, was great co-op with the wife.

Palehorse

I was going to say Kingdom Rush but that's gotten a lot of love so far from commentors.

Another one I liked is Tiny Heroes (IOS)

Orestus

Neo Member
Of games that have not yet been mentioned:

Sol Survivor on Steam is cheap and very good and deep.

iBomber on Ipad isn't bad either.

Top Bottom