• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a tablet Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castef

Banned
I mean, a tablet-only Wii U?

No console, just a stand-alone gamepad which is a proper handheld gaming machine?

Looking at how the off-tv gaming is one easily the most appreciated feature of the console I was wondering if anyone would be interested in such an iteration of the Wii U hardware.

EDIT: just to be more precise, I'm talking about an handheld Wii U entirely comprised in the gamepad which could eventually plugged into a TV to enable dual screen gaming.

DrWong

No console, just a stand-alone gamepad which is a proper handheld gaming machine?

Looking at how the off-tv gaming is one easily the most appreciated feature of the console I was wondering if anyone would be interested in such an iteration of the Wii U hardware.

I don't understand: are you talking about a gamepad with a screen, a handheld, a tablet...?

Tailzo

I would have liked a huge DS, sure. But the WiiU released as standalone would have to have dual screens. Since not all games support of screen play.

linko9

Eliminates anything that makes use of two screens, which was the whole point of the gamepad in the first place.

Castef

Banned
Eliminates anything that makes use of two screens, which was the whole point of the gamepad in the first place.

And what if the handheld Wii U could actually be plugged in a TV to enable two screens?

Still, retaining an "handheld" status?

Baleoce

Generally when you carry around a tablet, you take into consideration its multi-functionality and design. I don't envision anyone carrying something around that looks like a gamepad in places like public transport or cafes, and I don't think anyone would want to. Especially considering how restricted Wii U is in terms of other apps/functionality.

Castef

Banned
Generally when you carry around a tablet, you take into consideration its multi-functionality and design. I don't envision anyone carrying something around that looks like a gamepad in places like public transport or cafes, and I don't think anyone would want to. Especially considering how restricted Wii U is in terms of other apps/functionality.

Yet, you may want to bring the Gamepad with you to the bathroom on the other side of the house. :)

Castef

Banned
Only if it actually had some games I were interested in.

99b.jpg

Castef

Banned
Seriously ??

Why just not contribute to this thread instead of making another about the same thing?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630226

It's even on the front page so there is no excuse!

Uh? Actually did not read that one.

Yet... it does not seem to me identical. Two takes about a similar subject.

My topic is born because basically every Wii U user I know:
- Asks if games could be played off-TV on the gamepad
- Laments the fact that the Gamepad range is limited, so that they can't play with it all around the home

So, i started to wonder if an "handheld" Wii U structured primarily as a tablet would work or not.

This IN PAIR with the standard Wii U, two versions of the very same console.

mocoworm

So you basically want a 3DS with the power of Wii-U.

What you are saying is, 'I hope Nintendo release a Wii-U powerful handheld' ? Isn't this a given anyway ? Their next handheld will be way more powerful than the 3DS and will probably match the Wii-U as much as possible.

Castef

Banned
So you basically want a 3DS with the power of Wii-U.

What you are saying is, 'I hope Nintendo release a Wii-U powerful handheld' ? Isn't this a given anyway ? Their next handheld will be way more powerful than the 3DS and will probably match the Wii-U as much as possible.

No. What I "want" is described in the edit of the OP. :)

And I don't see a new "DS" handheld in the foreseeable future (let's say 3-4 years).

I'm still talking about 2 separate devices (3DS and Wii U).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Too big to take outside of the house even if they could shrink it all to fit in the current size. So no, that would be pointless.

Castef

Banned
Too big to take outside of the house even if they could shrink it all to fit in the current size. So no, that would be pointless.

Too big to take outside of the house, yet not too big to use it on the coach, which is something people seem most interested into. ;)

tsab

EDIT: just to be more precise, I'm talking about an handheld Wii U entirely comprised in the gamepad which could eventually plugged into a TV to enable dual screen gaming.

You mean like a Vita but with Nintendo
only
published games?

No.

sono

No because WiiU as a platform does not have games that are pitched to my interests. My answer assumes this would not change because of different form factor.

The gamepad gets 3 hours on it's own... without processing. I can't imagine how absolute shit the battery life would be if it had to process the whole game.

Not only that, but the LCD screen on that is also jank.

So, no. I would not.

Castef

Banned
The gamepad gets 3 hours on it's own... without processing. I can't imagine how absolute shit the battery life would be if it had to process the whole game.

Not only that, but the LCD screen on that is also jank.

So, no. I would not.

Oh my...

Why are you referring to the current gamepad?

I'm just referring to an IMAGINARY, HYPOTHETICAL new version of Wii U which works "on the countrary" in relation to the exitsting one: not a console with a gamepad which you can also use as some kind of short-ranged handheld, yet a tablet which could also be plugged to the TV in order to use a double screen.

Just moving the focus on what the Wii U currently is in order to understand if portability would become an interesting game for gamers who are very happy/interested in on-screen TV.

Is it just me, or does every "Would you buy a Wii U if (Some change)" topic appear to come from someone who has never played a Wii U and has absolutely no idea how the console works.

Wii U was built to use the gamepad in conjunction with the TV; as in "A TV sitting in a livng room with a person using a tablet while sitting in a chair or on a couch." Making any changes to the console now would ruin games like NintendoLand and ZombiU, which use the setup described above.

Yes, some games allow off-TV play on the tablet, but not all of them and no one's going to buy a Wii U that only plays some games nor would Nintendo do that.

You know what the Wii U needs? Games. Lots and lots of games. Especiallly games that use the tablet as a gameplay method. Hopefully Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 signify the beginning of these games coming to Wii U.

No. i like to play my HD games on my HD projector or my Plasma. But i did use the gamepad as a main screen a couple of times and it's pretty great.

The_Lump

Banned
Same power as the WiiU but with a decent portable battery life? Sure. But it seems by the time that's technologically possible I'll probably be retired and wont have time to play games in between fishing and rocking in my chair.

Read the OP again, yeah I'd buy that as a revision of the WiiU. Only because I'm a completionist when it comes to Nintendo consoles. It'd be utterly pointless though & it would weigh a tonne.

I'd buy a 3DS 2 though, for sure.

Omerta

The question should be: would you buy Nintendo games if they were made a available for your iPad?

I'd buy the shit out of them and frankly, I'll not be buying a Wii U.

The question should be: would you buy Nintendo games if they were made a available for your iPad?

I'd buy the shit out of them and frankly, I'll not be buying a Wii U.

You've never played a platformer on an iPad. If you have, then you suck horribly at those games if you think they're even remotely comparable. IPads controls are just.. terribly inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom