• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a tablet Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omerta

Your assumptions - right or wrong - wouldn't stop millions of people from spending money on said platform games...

Oh my...

Why are you referring to the current gamepad?

I'm just referring to an IMAGINARY, HYPOTHETICAL new version of Wii U which works "on the countrary" in relation to the exitsting one: not a console with a gamepad which you can also use as some kind of short-ranged handheld, yet a tablet which could also be plugged to the TV in order to use a double screen.

Just moving the focus on what the Wii U currently is in order to understand if portability would become an interesting game for gamers who are very happy/interested in on-screen TV.

I wouldn't trust that they'd put in something significantly better. They'll continue to use LCD's because they are cheaper than OLEDs. Also, they'd have to use another IBM POWER chip to keep functionality with the "standard" Wii U. You'd be looking at possibly the most powerful Tablet out on the market. I'd imagine the power drain would be huge.

mocoworm

No. What I "want" is described in the edit of the OP. :)

Yeah, which is a handheld Wii-U ... which is pretty much what the next Nintendo handheld will be (as I said in my reply to you) and (just like the other thread I posted which was already discussing this says) will probably be able to jack into your TV when needed... which is a feature you say you want in your OP.

Castef

Banned
Yeah, which is a handheld Wii-U ... which is pretty much what the next Nintendo handheld will be (as I said in my reply to you) and (just like the other thread I posted which was already discussing this says) will probably be able to jack into your TV when needed... which is a feature you say you want in your OP.

Again: not referring to "the next Nintendo handheld".

Just thinking a Wii U V2.

Castef

Banned
You haven´t explained it once. Have you played with a Wii U?

Again: "I'm talking about an handheld Wii U entirely comprised in the gamepad which could eventually plugged into a TV to enable dual screen gaming."

(i'm seriously starting to fear that on NeoGaf it is REALLY difficult to have a discussion beyond nice animated gifs and funny memes...)

krumble

Maybe I'm wrong but think the op is trying to imagine the wiiU game pad / console in reverse..

The lightweight tv dock pairs with the main gamepad to give the dual image still
But all the grunt work etc done on the pad etc

Only possible if battery capacity improved dramatically

Large Internal memory plus no discs

Only thing this would break compatibilitywise with current wiiU would be discs

mocoworm

Again: not referring to "the next Nintendo handheld".

... to be more precise, I'm talking about an handheld Wii U entirely comprised in the gamepad which could eventually plugged into a TV to enable dual screen gaming.

You need to think about exactly what you want to post before you post it.

If you are talking about a 'handheld Wii-U then you are talking about the next 'Nintendo handheld' , it would HAVE to be the next console for it to make sense or technology will move on too far. Wii-U power in your hands... and as said in both this and the other thread, able to connect to your TV when needed for big screen gaming.

Again: "I'm talking about an handheld Wii U entirely comprised in the gamepad which could eventually plugged into a TV to enable dual screen gaming."

(i'm seriously starting to fear that on NeoGaf it is REALLY difficult to have a discussion beyond nice animated gifs and funny memes...)

And again: How do wave around a plugged in device (TV/Outlet/Periphals)?

Castef

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong but think the op is trying to imagine the wiiU game pad / console in reverse..

The lightweight tv dock pairs with the main gamepad to give the dual image still
But all the grunt work etc done on the pad etc

Only possible if battery capacity improved dramatically

Large Internal memory plus no discs

Only thing this would break compatibilitywise with current wiiU would be discs

This, exactly. :)

WolvenOne

Pretty sure there isn't enough room in the Gamepad to fit in a disc-drive. So it'd require a different medium, and would therefore render all my Wii U purchases unusable. So, no, I wouldn't buy a tablet version of the Wii U, for this reason.

Now, if you're talking about a whole new platform a few years down the line, with improved visuals, ergonomics, multi-touch, then sure. However it'd have to be a few years down the line, I can't be giving Nintendo my money too frequently.

And what if the handheld Wii U could actually be plugged in a TV to enable two screens?

Still, retaining an "handheld" status?

So all of the hardware is in the controller essentially. Intriguing, but that would be heavy. Might be feasible closer to the end of the system's lifespan. If it was the right weight, I'd buy it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No. I'm already buying games for 3DS and Wii U, plus my other systems. Don't need a Nintendo tablet, that's for sure.

Plus this being Nintendo it would be yet another seperate e-Shop, which is bullshit.

Castef

Banned
You need to think about exactly what you want to post before you post it.

If you are talking about a 'handheld Wii-U then you are talking about the next 'Nintendo handheld'

Are you on drugs ?

Now, I'm just high on optimism... :(

Not talking about a new handheld, meaning a "novelty". Just talking about a redesign of an existing console.

Castef

Banned
And again: How do wave around a plugged in device (TV/Outlet/Periphals)?

By having some kind of receiver plugged to the TV.

When you need 2 screens you use it just like a regular Wii U.

When you want off-tv play you can play it wherever you want.

mocoworm

You've never played a platformer on an iPad. If you have, then you suck horribly at those games if you think they're even remotely comparable. IPads controls are just.. terribly inaccurate.

Apparantly with iOS7 they are making it compatible with controllers. Bluetooth or some sort.

Appleman

So many threads about this.

You CAN'T shrink the Wii U tech enough to be in a portable. The Wii U is significantly more powerful than any tablet on the market, and using that architecture in a handheld would be idiotic. You're talking about a 4 pound handheld that is huge and would last minutes on a battery. All this "hybrid" talk is just becoming ridiculous.

This is what the WiiU should have been from the start.

I'm not understanding why people are against this idea. As the OP said, you'd be able to plug it into the TV so it's no different from what we have now.

It's basically a WiiU without being stuck to a grounded system. There is no dual screen when you play from the tablet away from the TV anyway. You lose nothing and gain freedom to play anywhere.

By having some kind of receiver plugged to the TV.

When you need 2 screens you use it just like a regular Wii U.

When you want off-tv play you can play it wherever you want.

So no cables...

Still ridicoulus. It would be the most powerful tablet on the market by a long long distance, it would to support this power by a battery and it would need physical buttons. No one could afford this device. And it´s not going to happen in the future either. ;)

Castef

Banned
So no cables...

Still ridicoulus. It would be the most powerful tablet on the market by a long long distance, it would to support this power by a battery and it would need physical buttons. No one could afford this device. And it´s not going to happen in the future either. ;)

You what's the nice part of all of this discussion?

Is that the question was not "Do you believe such an hardware is actually possibile?"

It was "Would you buy it?"

Honestly, I wouldn't want to play with the gamepad anywhere outside my house, but that's probably because I don't like portables/tablets. I definitely don't think this is what's keeping the masses from buying a Wii U though. It needs games, perhaps a price cut, and some advertising.

You what's the nice part of all of this discussion?

Is that the question was not "Do you believe such an hardware is actually possibile?"

It was "Would you buy it?"

Ok, let´s play your mindgame.
No. Why? I already have a tablet. It´s slim and fits in a bag. I wouldn´t put a monster like the gamepad in there. I use it at home which is fine right now... if only the distance was greater.

Appleman

This is what the WiiU should have been from the start.

I'm not understanding why people are against this idea. As the OP said, you'd be able to plug it into the TV so it's no different from what we have now.

It's basically a WiiU without being stuck to a grounded system. There is no dual screen when you play from the tablet away from the TV anyway. You lose nothing and gain freedom to play anywhere.

It's basically an exhorbitantly expensive WiiU with awful graphics and terrible battery life that can't fit in anyone's pocket and wouldn't support dual-screen only games.

Sign me up!

Baleoce

Ok, let´s play your mindgame.
No. Why? I already have a tablet. It´s slim and fits in a bag. I wouldn´t put a monster like the gamepad in there. I use it at home which is fine right now... if only the distance was greater.

Yup. Word for word.

img3779jpg.jpg

Yes, I would.

StevieP

Banned
So all of the hardware is in the controller essentially. Intriguing, but that would be heavy. Might be feasible closer to the end of the system's lifespan. If it was the right weight, I'd buy it.

This isn't possible, unless you like the idea of a much bigger gamepad with a battery the size of a small car's. Despite the flak it gets, the Wii u hardware (and even the ps360 hardware) are much more powerful than typical consumer tablets will be for a long while simply due to the laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom