• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We're asked, not told" - Turn 10 on what it means to be a Microsoft Studio

"First party is not just about making great games, first party is about supporting our services, supporting our platforms," Hartman explained to us. "And that's a challenge that requires endless iteration, endless innovation. Relentless innovation. And that innovation is not just in the product, it's across everything we do. And at the end of the day, I go home and to bed mentally exhausted. And I love that and I share that with a lot of the people at the studio.
Turn 10 isn't being worked to death, however - the studio is free to pick and choose which platform features it exploits. "We're never mandated and I think that's the secret, I think most people think teams are mandated," said Greenawalt. "We aren't told, we're asked. [People say to us] 'Please, please no-one is going to showcase this stuff like first-party will - figure it out because we don't know how we're going to showcase it'.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59451/were-asked-not-told-turn-10-on-what-it-means-to-be-a-microsoft-studio/

Nibel

"Would you kindly..."

iERWcDBpL1ng5.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
°°ToMmY°°;74046133 said:
Bioshock 1

Specifically, (major spoiler!)
"Would you kindly ..." is a trigger phrase for the protagonist, which sees him unknowingly oblige the request of the person uttering it

Can someone explain the pun to me? I don't get the reference.

Also I'm sure rare was asked to make nothing but kinect garbage, it was their lifelong dream.

"We were the first team internally to embrace Kinect and start working with their early technology there. We took a team and gave them a little 'fishbowl', as we called it, put them in there and they just cranked away for - how long? Six months? Six months on Kinect. That's what it means to be first party."
Uh huh.

But it was the promise of Forza head tracking that pushed me over the edge and got me to buy a Kinect. I wish it worked and added to the experience, but instead it does come across as a forced first party gimmick, along with saying "grenade" to throw a grenade in Halo Anniversary, or pivoting the dual shock to turn a crank. Its all the same nonsense.

i hate to be that guy, but come on now, celebrating and circle jerking over a clever first post is just a bit too much when most of the posts in a thread are just that.

i've never had a good first post :(((((((

Mascot

Uh huh.

But it was the promise of Forza head tracking that pushed me over the edge and got me to buy a Kinect. I wish it worked and added to the experience, but instead it does come across as a forced first party gimmick, along with saying "grenade" to throw a grenade in Halo Anniversary, or pivoting the dual shock to turn a crank. Its all the same nonsense.

Looks like (1 team x 6 months) was good use of resources then. I wonder how else that time could have been spent *cough*nightweather*cough.

Uh huh.

Forza had head tracking? Huh, I thought they only used Kinect for Autovista.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm still hoping for improved head tracking in forza 5. not only should it be far more accurate and responsive, but i'm hoping for a greater range in movement. rather then just side to side, it would be nice if you could look all around (obviously limited by how far your head can move while still watching the screen). it would be a pretty neat way to check out in game cockpits as well as for autovista.

Forza had head tracking? Huh, I thought they only used Kinect for Autovista.
Don't forget they also had a mode where you could drive the cars just by holding your arms up and mimicking steering wheel motions. The game had to automatically handle acceleration and braking of course.

No, seriously. Stop laughing.

So I guess I see first parties as more likely to put gimmicks into their games that should otherwise be on the cutting room floor. Stuff that doesn't add to the game or just hasn't hit that certain level of polish one would expect from first party titles.

hawk2025

Turn 10 isn't being worked to death, however - the studio is free to pick and choose which platform features it exploits. "We're never mandated and I think that's the secret, I think most people think teams are mandated," said Greenawalt. "We aren't told, we're asked. [People say to us] 'Please, please no-one is going to showcase this stuff like first-party will - figure it out because we don't know how we're going to showcase it'.

That's... not a very flattering statement.

Top Bottom